This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT on Tour 2016 - casting

I wish I could have seen Trenary's performance. I don't think I'll be able to get off work for the Wednesday matinee, so I'll miss it at the Met as well. I take it that her Rose Adagio was solid?

This makes me so happy to hear the younger dancers are stepping up and delivering, when given the chance. I'm so happy to see ABT actually trying to build from within, so they don't have to rely on the "rent-a-Russian" option to make it through the season. (Note, I am not bashing any Russian dancers, I think the guests they bring in are stunning dancers, I just want to see those limited roles go to ABT dancers, to build within the company).

. I am shocked however, that with all the publicity of Misty's arrival that she should not end up in Detroit with the Aurora lead!! That must have caused quite a stir? I can understand for the Met, but this Detroit tour seemed all about Misty yet she was only a secondary lead?!

I admit I haven't been keeping up with this -- does she know Aurora in this production yet?

Since she has never been cast as Aurora, and is not scheduled to be cast as Aurora in any future performances, an educated guess would be that Copeland presently does not know the role.

Practically speaking, if McKenzie can fill up an opera house by listing Copeland in an 8 minute role, there is no need to cast her in the lead instead of the the 8 minute Florine role In fact, the smarter money is on leaving her in the 8 minute role, which she can perform multiple times in a single week, or even twice in a day. Nobody does Aurora twice in a week except in a dire emergency due to illness or injury. More performances as Florine in a week = increased ticket sales for every one of those performances.

In this regard, I'm a little bit surprised that ABT has not yet posted the secondary casting for the Met ABT SB shows.

I think it's also a question whether Copeland is up to the task of Aurora. She has looked pretty lacking in some classical roles (Gamzatti) and much better in others (Princess Florine). I didn't see her Swan Lake, but I recall opinions on here were mixed. I don't see her as a principal dancer who will take on all the big Petipa roles. I think she'll just be cast in the two or three that suit her strengths, plus Juliet and some Ashton and Ratmansky here and there. Maybe Myrta if she can improve her jumps a bit?

Ratmansky has a great deal of say into who dances Aurora in this ABT production. For example: Veronika Part danced Aurora on the opening night of the McKenzie/Kirkland/Chernov production. Part danced Aurora again in the few revival seasons that production had - she was actually much improved and technically fine the last time I saw her dance it. Since the Ratmansky staging opened, Part has only danced Lilac Fairy (with a simplified variation) in the Ratmansky. Clearly, Ratmansky or Part no longer feel she is appropriate as Aurora. Part is an experienced principal ballerina and a favorite of Ratmansky's.

I will not say whether or not Copeland can or cannot dance Aurora, since I have never seen her dance the role. I won't even opine if she should or shouldn't dance the role. In fact I haven't seen enough of Copeland dancing prima ballerina roles in full-length Petipa classics other than Gamzatti that I can confidently predict her success or failure. (I didn't go to her "Swan Lake" matinee) If Copeland is filling the theater and large numbers of new ballet fans see her, "Sleeping Beauty" and excellent ABT dancers like Sarah Lane, Cassandra Trenary or Isabella Boylston then that is a good thing. Win-Win.

Ratmansky has a great deal of say into who dances Aurora in this ABT production. For example: Veronika Part danced Aurora on the opening night of the McKenzie/Kirkland/Chernov production. Part danced Aurora again in the few revival seasons that production had - she was actually much improved and technically fine the last time I saw her dance it. Since the Ratmansky staging opened, Part has only danced Lilac Fairy (with a simplified variation) in the Ratmansky. Clearly, Ratmansky or Part no longer feel she is appropriate as Aurora. Part is an experienced principal ballerina and a favorite of Ratmansky's.

I will not say whether or not Copeland can or cannot dance Aurora, since I have never seen her dance the role. I won't even opine if she should or shouldn't dance the role. In fact I haven't seen enough of Copeland dancing prima ballerina roles in full-length Petipa classics other than Gamzatti that I can confidently predict her success or failure. (I didn't go to her "Swan Lake" matinee) If Copeland is filling the theater and large numbers of new ballet fans see her, "Sleeping Beauty" and excellent ABT dancers like Sarah Lane, Cassandra Trenary or Isabella Boylston then that is a good thing. Win-Win.

If we are going to name a few Auroras, let's not forget the ever wonderful Ms. Murphy and the forgotten Ms Abrera, who waited forever to become principal!! I know many on BA are not fan of Ms. Seo, nonetheless still beautiful in her own way.