This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Principals - Who is what?

The printed playbill for the current DC tour lists the entire company, from Principals to Apprentices, including several Principals not cast for the tour's SB performances. Principals listed, in alpha order:

Abrera, Boylston, Copeland, Cornejo, Gomes, Kochetkova, Lendorf, Murphy, Part, Semionova, Seo, Simkin, Stearns, Whiteside

When one compares this list against the one on the ABT web, one sees that three supposedly "permanent" Principals are missing: Bolle, Hallberg & Vishneva.

Are those three gone from the permanent Principals list but the ABT web has not caught up with reality, reflected in this week's printed playbill of the full roster? If they are not full Principals and they are not in the category "Guest Principals," what are they?

I'm saddest about Hallberg no longer being on the printed list in my playbill.

The printed playbill for the current DC tour lists the entire company, from Principals to Apprentices, including several Principals not cast for the tour's SB performances. Principals listed, in alpha order:

Abrera, Boylston, Copeland, Cornejo, Gomes, Kochetkova, Lendorf, Murphy, Part, Semionova, Seo, Simkin, Stearns, Whiteside

When one compares this list against the one on the ABT web, one sees that three supposedly "permanent" Principals are missing: Bolle, Hallberg & Vishneva.

Are those three gone from the permanent Principals list but the ABT web has not caught up with reality, reflected in this week's printed playbill of the full roster? If they are not full Principals and they are not in the category "Guest Principals," what are they?

Wow! This is interesting news Natalia! And second the saddest about Halberg, it is interesting you brought this up as I have been wondering about the lack of news on him of late too! You must be right about the "permanent" part since I have seen news on Bolle in Italy more than here, even though he has one foot in each continent and therefore I didn't have any query, but very interesting observation! Thank you!

Bolle and Vishneva are both scheduled to dance during ABT’s 2016 MET season. I have not heard anything about Hallberg leaving ABT. Isn't he still out from injury?

Yes, I know about Bolle and Vishneva dancing at the Met. But why are they off the complete permanent roster as published in the Kennedy Center list which, after all, includes several "semi permanents" like Kochetkova and Semionova

Shouldn't Bolle & Vishneva (& Hallberg?) be on the Guest Principals list? I find the charade of naming them permanent Principals a tad curious...especially as the very latest printing of the full roster (Kennedy Center) omits them. Again, the KC printing is NOT a reflection of just those who are performing in the KC run of BEAUTY, since Lendorf, Kochetkova and Semionova are named & they aren't performing in DC

Bolle and Vishneva are both scheduled to dance during ABT’s 2016 MET season. I have not heard anything about Hallberg leaving ABT. Isn't he still out from injury?

ABT has this practice of only listing the principals scheduled for that particular season. When I receive the Fall brochures, for example, it only lists those principals dancing then, not year round. But, I believe the playbills always list the entire roster (I don't have one in front of me to check). Maybe this is a Kennedy Center thing? But, Whiteside, Kochetkova and a few others aren't performing in DC, so why list them and not Bolle, Vishneva or Hallberg? ABT does some odd things, for sure.

Yes, I know about Bolle and Vishneva dancing at the Met. But why are they off the complete permanent roster as published in the Kennedy Center list which, after all, includes several "semi permanents" like Kochetkova and Semionova

Shouldn't Bolle & Vishneva (& Hallberg?) be on the Guest Principals list? I find the charade of naming them permanent Principals a tad curious...especially as the very latest printing of the full roster (Kennedy Center) omits them. Again, the KC printing is NOT a reflection of just those who are performing in the KC run of BEAUTY, since Lendorf, Kochetkova and Semionova are named & they aren't performing in DC

It is very interesting to hear that DC separated the principals as such since I just went to the ABT site and they are all together on one page, except the Guest Artist page with just Ferri?!

ABT has this practice of only listing the principals scheduled for that particular season. When I receive the Fall brochures, for example, it only lists those principals dancing then, not year round. But, I believe the playbills always list the entire roster (I don't have one in front of me to check). Maybe this is a Kennedy Center thing? But, Whiteside, Kochetkova and a few others aren't performing in DC, so why list them and not Bolle, Vishneva or Hallberg? ABT does some odd things, for sure.

Exactly my point. The KC playbill staff print what ABT gives them ahead of time, a couple of weeks before a run.

Hoven was pulled from matinee as well, what a shame! Hope he gets better soon. Will have a full report later but Isabella Boylston gets better every time I see her. Few tricky areas during vision scene but I thought her Rose adagio was fantastic.

I received my second mailing of the ABT subscription brochure (it seemed slightly tweaked from the previous version) and Hallberg is still shown among the principal dancers appearing in the spring season. It will be interesting to see how long ABT keeps all the male TBDs on the calendar before potentially listing them as Hallberg. I presume they are even holding the Ratmansky Chamber Symphony for Hallberg, since I believe that is the only role he danced in the ​Shostakovitch Trilogy. Only a little over three months to go now...

I received my second mailing of the ABT subscription brochure (it seemed slightly tweaked from the previous version) and Hallberg is still shown among the principal dancers appearing in the spring season. It will be interesting to see how long ABT keeps all the male TBDs on the calendar before potentially listing them as Hallberg. I presume they are even holding the Ratmansky Chamber Symphony for Hallberg, since I believe that is the only role he danced in the ​Shostakovitch Trilogy. Only a little over three months to go now...

I agree that many of those TBA's are probably being held for Hallberg, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he doesn't return to ABT. He is (very unfortunately) injured more frequently and seems to be for longer periods, and to me it looks like he favors dancing with the Bolshoi (his prerogative, and many of us have discussed his comments on getting better coaching there, so who could blame him). I haven't been able to see him dance in years. I hope I'm wrong, but even if his name does show up in some of those TBA slots, I won't be holding my breath that he'll actually dance.

I agree that many of those TBA's are probably being held for Hallberg, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he doesn't return to ABT. He is (very unfortunately) injured more frequently and seems to be for longer periods, and to me it looks like he favors dancing with the Bolshoi (his prerogative, and many of us have discussed his comments on getting better coaching there, so who could blame him). I haven't been able to see him dance in years. I hope I'm wrong, but even if his name does show up in some of those TBA slots, I won't be holding my breath that he'll actually dance.

Hallberg has been joining a few ballet/arts organizations' boards lately. I think he joined City Center and recently the Washington Ballet. I wonder if he is plotting his next moves. His future at Bolshoi might be unclear, with the new directorship. I wonder whats going on. ABT is in need of a few strong principal males. Gomes cannot carry the entire Met season.

Hallberg has been joining a few ballet/arts organizations' boards lately. I think he joined City Center and recently the Washington Ballet. I wonder if he is plotting his next moves. His future at Bolshoi might be unclear, with the new directorship. I wonder whats going on.

I too think he's laying the groundwork for his life after performing, whenever that'll happen. Who knows regarding the Bolshoi?

Dancerboy90210, on 01 Feb 2016 - 2:46 PM, said:snapback.png

ABT is in need of a few strong principal males. Gomes cannot carry the entire Met season.

I think it's gotten a bit better recently. Gomes is still the company's MVP, but Whiteside has been churning out a similarly heavy load. Stearns isn't far behind. Bolle is still in good form, but he's now 40 and never danced nearly as much as the others. New principal Lendorf is scheduled to dance 10 lead roles at the Met. We'll see how he does. Cornejo and Simkin are limited due to their size (especially Simkin). They could use a few more I agree. Hammoudi hasn't met their expectations for a possible promotion. I wonder if Gorak will be promoted this year? He's the only male soloist with principal potential (and with him, it isn't a question of "if" but "when").

I too think he's laying the groundwork for his life after performing, whenever that'll happen. Who knows regarding the Bolshoi?

Dancerboy90210, on 01 Feb 2016 - 2:46 PM, said:snapback.png

I think it's gotten a bit better recently. Gomes is still the company's MVP, but Whiteside has been churning out a similarly heavy load. Stearns isn't far behind. Bolle is still in good form, but he's now 40 and never danced nearly as much as the others. New principal Lendorf is scheduled to dance 10 lead roles at the Met. We'll see how he does. Cornejo and Simkin are limited due to their size (especially Simkin). They could use a few more I agree. Hammoudi hasn't met their expectations for a possible promotion. I wonder if Gorak will be promoted this year? He's the only male soloist with principal potential (and with him, it isn't a question of "if" but "when").

Unfortunately, Alban has been out for a while, He has not danced anything at the RDB up to this month. He would be terrific as Colas in La Fille.... I hope he will be able to join the company in the Spring.

Even if Lendorf is able to finally appear with ABT during the Spring season, what is the likelihood that he will be able to tackle all these roles that have been assigned to him? My guess is slim to none. He has been injured for about a year and a half, I believe. Assuming he is able to dance, he will have to start off slowly and build back his strength. Of course, I don't expect that ABT will actually update any of the casting until a day or two before a show.

While in general, I like that they didn't bring in a ton of guest artists, I wouldn't mind Shyklarov (if he has the time) coming back and covering one of those TBA slots! :)

I very much hope Hallberg and Lendorf are dancing in the spring. But if the company does invite guests to fill in male leads, then I vote Sarafanov for Fille (which his home company has in its rep).

I haven't forgotten that I don't actually get a vote....

I believe that the company should prioritize casting its own dancers, but I must say that some of newer crop of principals aren't anywhere near the level of some of those of the previous generations. IMO, its shameful to have Gillian Murphy dance Swan Lake with Corey Sterns, but I guess that they don't have many other options. Need two for a good partnership, so its such a let down when they aren't near the same level.