This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2016-2017 Season

A few updates:

• The gala on September 24th will feature the new Crystal Pite work, which is now titled The Seasons' Canon. The defile will also be held on the 24th although the POB Web site doesn't specify whether it will be to the Wagner music (from last season) or whether it will revert back to Berlioz.
  • George Balanchine's Sonatine has been added to the all-Balanchine program, which is now being billed as an 'Homage to Violette Verdy'. (Verdy, of course, debuted Sonatine [w/ Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux] in May 1975.)

5 hours ago, miliosr said:

A few updates:

• The gala on September 24th will feature the new Crystal Pite work, which is now titled The Seasons' Canon. The defile will also be held on the 24th although the POB Web site doesn't specify whether it will be to the Wagner music (from last season) or whether it will revert back to Berlioz.
  • George Balanchine's Sonatine has been added to the all-Balanchine program, which is now being billed as an 'Homage to Violette Verdy'. (Verdy, of course, debuted Sonatine [w/ Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux] in May 1975.)

Interesting to note that Sonatine will only be danced the October dates, not in November.

There was a marvelous video from the defile up on You Tube for a short time which was taken from a vantage point just off the front left side of the stage. Not only could you see the etoiles and premieres exiting the stage but you could also see and hear members of the company cheering those marchers for whom this would be their last defile. When the curtain came down for the last time, you could also see members of the company paying their respects to those for whom 2016-17 will be their last season, including the sujet Bruno Bouche. He will be assuming a leadership position at the Ballet de L'Opera National du Rhin:

http://www.culturecommunication.gouv.fr/Presse/Communiques-de-presse/Nomination-de-Bruno-Bouche

3 hours ago, miliosr said:

There was a marvelous video from the defile up on You Tube for a short time which was taken from a vantage point just off the front left side of the stage. Not only could you see the etoiles and premieres exiting the stage but you could also see and hear members of the company cheering those marchers for whom this would be their last defile. When the curtain came down for the last time, you could also see members of the company paying their respects to those for whom 2016-17 will be their last season, including the sujet Bruno Bouche. He will be assuming a leadership position at the Ballet de L'Opera National du Rhin:

http://www.culturecommunication.gouv.fr/Presse/Communiques-de-presse/Nomination-de-Bruno-Bouche

A shame it disappeared, as I wanted to see premier danseur Emmanuel Thibault, who reportedly joined the line of etoiles at the end. He has been such a joy to watch throughout his career.

The now-deleted footage (which captured the entire defile) had some nice Emmanuel Thibault moments:

• He and Alessio Carbone were paired as the final two premiere danseurs to march. After they stopped and bowed, they looked at each other. Alessio Carbone gestured toward Thibault in a little tribute.
  • As Thilbault walked off stage (right next to the person filming), he got a little cheer from the people standing offstage.
  • Thibault was part of the etoiles line at the end. (From left to right, the order of the male etoiles was Thibault-Hoffalt-Paquette-Belingard-Ganio-Moreau-Heymann-Bullion.) After the curtain fell, Josua Hoffalt gave Thibault a big hug and a pat on the back.

It was interesting listening to the applause for the etoiles and premieres. I thought Francois Alu and Hugo Marchand, who were paired together, got the biggest hand.

I wish the footage was still on YouTube. It really gave a great glimpse of what the defile is like from the dancers' point-of-view.

2 hours ago, sandik said:

I got a chance to see it, and was so impressed with the detail -- I'd only ever seen footage taken from far back in the house before, and saw all kinds of things I wasn't aware of previously.

There was this great moment at the end when the etoiles were getting into position to form the front line of the defile. You could see five of the female etoiles coming toward the camera from the right side of stage. As they got to their respective spots, they all did this little turn (in perfect unison) into the line of male etoiles. The precision was impressive.

Balanchine's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by POB has been broadcasted live in cinemas last Thursday and will be available on French TV channel Culturebox from Monday March 27th . I don't remember if it's geoblocked or not but I do remember some of you can have access to. 

It was introduced by Sandra Jennings 

Cast :

Titania : Eleonora Abbagnato
Obéron : Hugo Marchand
Puck : Emmanuel Thibault
Hermia : Laëtitia Pujol
Lysandre : Alessio Carbone
Héléna : Fanny Gorse
Démétrius : Audric Bézard
Hyppolite : Alice Renavand
Thésée :  Florian Magnenet
Bottom : Francesco Vantaggio
Cavalier de Titania : Stéphane Bullion
Papillon : Muriel Zusperreguy
Divertissement - Sae Eun Park, Karl Paquette

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/opera-classique/opera/l-opera-de-paris/le-songe-d-une-nuit-d-ete-par-le-ballet-de-l-opera-de-paris-253861

Thank you very much for the information! I am glad to see a number of dancers who are nearing retirement in the cast. It will be very sad to see them leaving the stage, but I am glad for one more video record of their performances.

I notice that the POB has not followed the usual New York City Ballet practice of pairing a tall Titania with a short Oberon. Marchand must be among the tallest Oberons the role has ever had.

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

Thank you very much for the information! I am glad to see a number of dancers who are nearing retirement in the cast. It will be very sad to see them leaving the stage, but I am glad for one more video record of their performances.

I notice that the POB has not followed the usual New York City Ballet practice of pairing a tall Titania with a short Oberon. Marchand must be among the tallest Oberons the role has ever had.

Well POB has very few short principal dancers except Mathias Heymann and Jérémie Bélingard, both unavailable for different reasons.  The two other Oberon of this run are shortest but they are "only" Sujet, Paul Marque and Fabien Révillion. However up to me they were both better than Marchand, perhaps because they are shorter, lighter and quicker.  

6 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Jérémie Bélingard's farewell performance will take place on May 13, apparently by improvising rather than performing someone else's choreography.
http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/danse/le-danseur-etoile-jeremie-belingard-fera-ses-adieux-a-la-scene-le-13-mai-254325

Yes. I was thinking he might dance in one of the Forsythe but perhaps it's better, then he will improvise according to his physical condition. He has cancelled so many appearances the past years that it's a secure choice.

It seems like a novel approach, especially for a ballet company. I wonder, has any other étoile retired in this fashion? I presume that Bélingard is quite adept at improvising. The thing is that it can feel great while you're doing it, but not look like much of anything for someone watching. It's also very easy to rely on favorite movements and repeat them too often.