This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Justin Peck's The Most Incredible Thing

Well, this looks amazing. T.Peck's costume and wings are incredible, and just from this preview, her movements in it were exquisite. Those 10 seconds almost gave me chills. She IS a bird.

J.Peck has been posting a ton of photos and videos from rehearsals on this Instagram. I so wish I could attend the premiere!

Here is an article about the costumes: http://wwd.com/eye/design/marcel-dzama-justin-peck-ballet-costumes-10317277/

In the photo slideshow you can see closer looks at the 4 main characters' costumes, but also Claire Von Enck, Unity Phelan and Gretchen Smith. T. Peck's costume just blows my mind. Absolutely gorgeous.

I'm going to withhold judgement until I actually see the ballet, and I know at this point I will most likely be in the minority, but I kind of hate the costumes, especially Peck's, which take away her natural shape and make her look roundish (and I suppose more birdish). Maybe after I see the ballet, I will love the costumes. I admit I'm not familiar with the story.

I'm going to withhold judgement until I actually see the ballet, and I know at this point I will most likely be in the minority, but I kind of hate the costumes, especially Peck's, which take away her natural shape and maker her look roundish (and I suppose more birdish). Maybe after I see the ballet, I will love the costumes. I admit I'm not familiar with the story.

That bird looks like Sesame Street to me. Hopefully the final version, in performance, looks better.

Ditto. Based on the short video I am not a fan of the costumes. Keeping an open mind, though, about Peck's upcoming premiere. The designs are apparently by Dzama, who is also in charge of this year's "Art Series" performances. Dzama's work was on display in the promenade and throughout the theater. I'm not a Dzama fan based on what I saw last night.

I must admit at first I wasn't a fan at all of T. Peck's headpiece, but the more I watch it, the more I have grown to like it. I still think the wings are perfect for her, and I don't think this will hide her sharpness, musicality or technical strength. Moreover, these 4 dancers are J. Peck's favorites, and have been in his ballets many times, so I trust him to really emphasize each of their strengths and do what's best to bring out the best in them.

I find the costumes very different and other-worldly, and very different to anything we have seen before. I think it fits the theme really well of the dark fairy-tale from the late 19th century. I actually showed the preview to one of my friend who has no knowledge of ballet whatsoever (she does work for an orchestra, so she's close to the art and classical worlds), and she absolutely loved it. She liked the uniqueness and the feeling that it was set in a completely different world. It was pretty thrilling to see someone 'outside' of the fan-base get excited about a new ballet.

With that said, I really look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on that ballet. From my understanding, it has been quite a production, so I hope it delivers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/21/arts/dance/review-new-york-city-ballets-winter-season-blends-movement-and-music.html?ref=arts

See today's NY Times review of NYCB for some comments on the Dzama decor in the lobby of the Koch.

Most interesting was the fact that they permitted Dzama to put polka dots all over the two large statues on the promenade level. The artist that created those sculptures meant for them to be seen as they are, and without any extraneous junk pasted on them. Even if these polka dots can be removed with no damage to the sculptures, it's outrageous that NYCB permitted this to occur. How would Dzama feel if someone decided to paste things on to his artwork?

This is a rare case where treating art irreverently doesn't bother me.

Partly because in my mind the "real" version of Nadelman's "Two Circus Women" is the original papier-mâché version which sometimes crops up at the Whitney Museum (even though the Koch's statue is a marble reproduction, it still feels like a less precious reproduction).

(Partly because circus folk can usually handle a joke.)