This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2016 Opening Night Gala

SFB Opening Night Gala program and casts.

It’s particularly good to see the excellent SFBallet Orchestra being given a chance to shine on their own in honor of their 40th anniversary.

Opening Night Gala - Thursday, January 21, 2016 - 8:00PM

In the event of injury or illness, casting is subject to change

*Denotes dancer premiere in ballet

THURSDAY, JANUARY 21—8:00PM—OPENING NIGHT

“WALTZ OF THE HOURS” from COPPÉLIA

Composer: Léo Delibes

Choreographer: Alexandra Danilova and George Balanchine ©The Balanchine Trust (after Marius Petipa)

Conductor: Martin West

Jennifer Stahl with SF Ballet Students

Pas de deux from CAROUSEL (A DANCE)

Composer: Richard Rodgers

Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon©

Dores André, Joan Boada

“Adagio” from CARMEN

World Premiere

Composer: Rodion Shchedrin

Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov

Lorena Feijoo*, Vitor Luiz*

TCHAIKOVSKY PAS DE DEUX

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Choreographer: George Balanchine

Frances Chung, Gennadi Nedvigin

BARTOK DIVERTIMENTO

Composer: Béla Bartók

Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson

Natasha Sheehan+, Max Cauthorn*, Esteban Hernandez*, Wei Wang*

+SF Ballet School Trainee

Pas de deux from DON QUIXOTE, Act III

Composer: Ludwig Minkus

Choreographers: Alexander Gorsky and Marius Petipa

Staging and additional Choreography: Helgi Tomasson and Yuri Possokhov

Vanessa Zahorian, Taras Domitro

INTERMISSION

SF Ballet Orchestra
“INFERNAL DANCE” from FIREBIRD
In Celebration of San Francisco Ballet Orchestra’s 40th Anniversary

Composer: Igor Stravinsky

GENTLE MEMORIES

SF Ballet Premiere

Composer: Karen LeFrak

Choreographer: Jiří Bubeníček

Conductor: Ming Luke

Yuan Yuan Tan*, Tiit Helimets*, Vitor Luiz*, Carlos Quenedit*

Pas de deux from “RUBIES”

Composer: Igor Stravinsky

Maria Kochetkova, Pascal Molat

SOLO

Composer: Johann Sebastian Bach

Choreographer: Hans Van Manen

Joseph Walsh, Gennadi Nedvigin, Hansuke Yamamoto

Pas de deux from SWAN LAKE, Act III

Choreographer: after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov

Mathilde Froustey, Davit Karapetyan

Pas de deux from PAS/PARTS

North American Premiere

Composer: Thom Willems

Choreographer: William Forsythe

Sofiane Sylve*, Carlo Di Lanno*

Finale from THEME & VARIATIONS

Vanessa Zahorian, Luke Ingham*

A rather lackluster opening night gala, despite a few standout performances (and, unfortunately, one big disappointment). Overall, the night belonged to the men and Frances Chung.

Chung in the Tchaikovsky PdD had charm, speed and brio to spare; my favorite performance of the evening.

Since joining the company, Taras Domitro has gone well beyond his virtuoso technique and developed into a fine artist. But he demonstrated in the Don Quixote PdD that he can still pour on the bravura when he wants to. Not just thrilling, but a beautiful and musical performance.

Other highlights included Gennadi Nedvigin, Joseph Walsh, Hansuke Yamamoto dancing impeccably at breakneck speed in Hans van Manen’s Solo; and Max Cauthorn, Esteban Hernandez and Wei Wang, highlighting the talent of the men in the corp de ballet, in Tomasson’s Bartok Divertimento. And mention must be made of Natasha Sheehan, a San Francisco Ballet School trainee, who more than held her own in the female role.

The disappointment was Mathilde Froustey’s Black Swan. I don’t think she had a problem handling the technical demands (although the foutees did not go particularly well), but throughout her dancing was choppy, without flow or musical sensitivity, a surprise from this usually musical dancer.

ETA re Froustey's performance: I just saw on her Facebook page that this was her first Black Swan, so I'll modify my criticism to say she may just need time to settle into this difficult role, and I look forward to her complete O/O later this season.

The disappointment was Mathilde Froustey’s Black Swan. I don’t think she had a problem handling the technical demands (although the foutees did not go particularly well), but throughout her dancing was choppy, without flow or musical sensitivity, a surprise from this usually musical dancer.

ETA re Froustey's performance: I just saw on her Facebook page that this was her first Black Swan, so I'll modify my criticism to say she may just need time to settle into this difficult role, and I look forward to her complete O/O later this season.

At first I thought you were going to say that someone had broken their foot again! I'm glad that's not the case, only an off performance.

Yes, that would have been her first performance of any Swan Lake O/O role - I think it was a case of nerves. I got the impression from her posts that she's been worrying about, and working on, this role for some time. Perhaps she let it get to her. But the gala never seems to bring out the best in the dancers. ;)

Audience and dancers alike are so caught up in the characterizations of O/O that many seem to forget that, for example, the Black Swan PDD is a DANCE, not a dramatic monologue, not a chance to impress the Motion Picture Academy, but a dance, and it needs to be convincing as a dance.

I agree with Peggy that it was a bit lackluster and, as galas often are, all over the place. Frances Chung reminded me of Tina LaBlanc (with Isaac Hernandez in his debut) in the Tchaikovsky pdd several years ago. Even though their attacks are a little different – Chung's less sharp, more rounded (Chung looks a bit like like Maria Tallchief in stature) – I wondered if LaBlanc, who now teaches in the school, had coached her.

Rubies was the most disappointing, though Maria Kochetkova and Pascal Molat have done it well in years past. This time there was none of rubbery see-sawing between the partners, it could have been anyone's choreography.

Would have like to have seen a bit of Justin Peck or Alexei Ratmansky's work since they're doing such innovative combinations of partnering. This would have helped break up the parade of pas de deux – and twice in a row in same color costumes (rubies red and Tchai pdd pink).

Liked the lovely and complex shapes the students made in Coppelia Waltz of the Hours.

Audience a bit more uniformly tastefully attired than in past years. And so white business class – what with Hayes Valley just outside and the Mission only a short bus ride away.

Quiggin, on 23 Jan 2016 - 4:15 PM, said:

Rubies was the most disappointing, though Maria Kochetkova and Pascal Molat have done it well in years past. This time there was none of rubbery see-sawing between the partners, it could have been anyone's choreography.

Agree about Rubies. It looked like a first sight reading: get the steps down, worry about interpretation and nuances later. This is the second time I've seen Kochetkova in Rubies and didn't really think it suited her either time.

Audience a bit more uniformly tastefully attired than in past years.

This is only my second Gala, so I mostly judge by the photos on SFGate over the years: yes, there probably were fewer awful/weird gowns this year, but from where I was sitting in the back of the Dress Circle I had full view of several ladies with enough body parts on full display to construct a whole new human being. Tasteless doesn't begin to describe them.

And [the audience] so white business class ,,,

While I don't like doing counts of these kinds of things, it does make you stop and think: eight choreographers (if you count the jumble of Don Q as one), all white males; and ten composers, nine white males, one white female (Karen LeFrak, Gentle Memories/Jiří Bubeníček).

I guess we take progress where we can get it.

Paul Parish mentions this about Froustey:

"Davit Karapetyan receives the award for Most Gracious Partner in the "Black Swan," where he saved Mathilde Froustey from a bad night by making her seem the complete object of his devotion. Her foot was giving her trouble, but she did her best and did not hold back on the dramatic sweep of her characterization."