This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Nutcracker 2015

Casting through December 20.

San Francisco Ballet’s Nutcracker

Choreography: Helgi Tomasson

Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 7pm--Opening Night

Conductor: Martin West

Drosselmeyer: Val Caniparoli

Queen and King of the Snow: Jennifer Stahl, Luke Ingham

Sugar Plum Fairy: Vanessa Zahorian

Grand Pas de Deux: Frances Chung, Davit Karapetyan

Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 2pm

Conductor: Ming Luke

Drosselmeyer: Pascal Molat^

Queen and King of the Snow: Sasha De Sola, Steven Morse

Sugar Plum Fairy: Julia Rowe

Grand Pas de Deux: Vanessa Zahorian, Taras Domitro

Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 7pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Lauren Strongin*^, Vitor Luiz

Sugar Plum Fairy: Jahna Frantziskonis*^

Grand Pas de Deux: Frances Chung, Davit Karapetyan

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 2pm

Drosselmeyer: Pascal Molat

Queen and King of the Snow: Koto Ishihara, Joseph Walsh

Sugar Plum Fairy: Dores André

Grand Pas de Deux: Mathilde Froustey, Carlo Di Lanno*^

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 7pm

Drosselmeyer: Ricardo Bustamante

Sugar Plum Fairy: Sasha De Sola

Grand Pas de Deux: Frances Chung, Carlos Quenedit

Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 2pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Sasha De Sola, Steven Morse

Sugar Plum Fairy: Norika Matsuyama

Grand Pas de Deux: Dores Andre, Luke Ingham

Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 7pm

Drosselmeyer: Rubén Martín Cintas

Queen and King of the Snow: Koto Ishihara, Gennadi Nedvigin

Sugar Plum Fairy: Jennifer Stahl

Grand Pas de Deux: Mathilde Froustey, Carlo Di Lanno

Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 2pm

Conductor: David LaMarche

Queen and King of the Snow: Lauren Strongin, Hansuke Yamamoto

Sugar Plum Fairy: Jahna Frantziskonis

Grand Pas de Deux: Sasha De Sola, Luke Ingham

Sunday, December 20, 2015 - 7pm

Queen and King of the Snow: WanTing Zhao, Carlo Di Lanno^

Sugar Plum Fairy: Mathilde Froustey

Grand Pas de Deux: Sofiane Sylve, Tiit Helimets

* Denotes dancer premiere in current production.

^ Denotes premiere in role for current production.

No mention of Kochetkova at present. And where is she? She just danced Nutcracker in Irvine with Tiit Helimets, and is now apparently flying to Madrid to dance Don Quixote with National Dance Company of Spain...

That’s true, but Tan and Feijoo aren’t there either, and Sylve is only scheduled once during this part of the run. Keep in mind that between 12/21 and 12/31 there are another 20 performances, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Kochetkova/Tan/Feijoo showed up at some point.

And anyway, I’d much prefer to see soloists and corp members in these roles; it’s a good way to check out the talent below principal level.

And anyway, I’d much prefer to see soloists and corp members in these roles; it’s a good way to check out the talent below principal level.

I think the principals would love to see the Nutcracker become a "showcase for young talent", and a rest period for the principals. ;)

The number of performances is crazy. But in the U.S., The Nutcracker is a ballet recruitment MACHINE - nothing else comes close.

Thanks for posting this, Peggy. I've been longing for some dialogue on casting choices, but was too busy/lazy to start the thread myself. It sure felt strange not seeing Maria or YY's name on there. I don't think I've ever seen Lorena F in a Nutcracker, but my viewing experience is limited to 1x a year for 3 years, so that's not saying much. I so wish I could see more performances, particularly with these new dancers they have. I was very impressed with Norika Matsuyama last year; I'd love to see how she did as SPF. Nice to see Julia Rowe doing it one afternoon, as well.

I'm agreed that this is a fun opportunity for audiences to see the rising talent within the company. I wonder if it would hurt ticket sales if it became that more and more (and a rest for the principals, as you said, Pherank). Doubt it; most SF audience members go to Nutcracker for the experience of going to a peerless Nutcracker. If there ever were a time to take a risk with casting, I guess this would be it.

Dang, wish I could go more than once and see some of these newer dancers (or new to the role) perform!

I look forward to hearing what others have to say about this run...

Wow Jahna Frantziskonis joined the company in July and she is already cast as SPF! That says a lot. We were so sad to see her leave Seattle/PNB. She is a small/delicate dancer but very strong physically and technically and is an absolute performer. Have you seen her ham it up on her Instagram account? You will not be disappointed if you see her - she dances huge, and is a joy on stage!!! Maybe if you are lucky you will get to see her the lead in Rubies, like we did last year.

Sarah Lane of ABT just posted the following on her Facebook page:

I will be premiering in Helgi Tomasson's version of The Nutcracker as Clara with The San Francisco Ballet alongside Vitor Luiz on 12/22 @2:00pm and 12/23 @7:00pm. The shows will be conducted by my friend and colleague, David LaMarche.

This will be her second or third guest appearance this month in different "Nutcrackers" around the U.S., and will follow her two performances in Alexi Ratmansky's ABT production at the Segerstrom Center in Costa Mesa on 12/19 and 12/20. Busy lady!

Yeah, it's interesting that Lane is participating - this is quite different from performing with ABT at Segerstrom Arts Center: she would have to learn Tomasson's choreography for the part. Is there any 'special meaning' to her participation with SFB? Who knows? Could this be part of a deal to allow Kochetkova time to spend part of the year with ABT? Or did Lane simply ask to experience the Tomasson version?

In the "Discovering the Art" forum I asked about Guest Dancing in the Off-Season.

Just what goes on with the world of guest perfromances remains something of a mystery...

EDIT: I see that Kochetkova will be joining in finally on the 23rd and 24th -

23rd: Queen and King of the Snow: Maria Kochetkova, Gennadi Nedvigin

24th: Grand Pas de Deux: Maria Kochetkova, Joan Boada

More casts.

Note that Kochetkova is dancing on the 23rd at 7 pm and the 24th at 4 pm.

Even more interesting to note: ABT soloist (and, according to her bio, San Francisco native) Sarah Lane is guesting in the GPdD for two performances: on the 22nd at 2 pm, and the 23rd at 7 pm. Let the fevered speculations begin.

Nutcracker - Monday, December 21, 2015 - 2pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Koto Ishihara, Gennadi Nedvigin

Sugar Plum Fairy: Norika Matsuyama

Grand Pas de Deux: Lauren Strongin^, Joseph Walsh

Nutcracker - Monday, December 21, 2015 - 7pm

Grand Pas de Deux: Sasha De Sola, Davit Karapetyan

Nutcracker - Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 2pm

Queen and King of the Snow: WanTing Zhao, Carlo Di Lanno

Sugar Plum Fairy: Dores André

Grand Pas de Deux: Sarah Lane+, Vitor Luiz

Nutcracker - Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 7pm

Grand Pas de Deux: Vanessa Zahorian, Taras Domitro

Nutcracker - Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 2pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Dores André, Hansuke Yamamoto

Sugar Plum Fairy: Mathilde Froustey

Grand Pas de Deux: Sofiane Sylve, Tiit Helimets

Nutcracker - Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 7pm

Queen and King of the Snow: Maria Kochetkova, Gennadi Nedvigin

Grand Pas de Deux: Sarah Lane+, Vitor Luiz

Nutcracker - Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11am

Queen and King of the Snow: Vanessa Zahorian, Taras Domitro

Sugar Plum Fairy: Sofiane Sylve

Grand Pas de Deux: Mathilde Froustey, Carlo Di Lanno Nutcracker -

Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 4pm

Grand Pas de Deux: Maria Kochetkova, Joan Boada

+ Denotes guest artist.

^ Denotes premiere in role for current production.

I am just agog at the variety of dancers they're using in solo roles this Nut season. I was there on opening night and got to see Jahna Frantziskonis (and I now know that spell check will try to absurdly correct her name) dance Spanish. Ellen Rose Hummel joined her as the 2 females of the quintet. They both looked really good. WanTing Zhao was notably good in Arabian, and I see they've got her cast as Snow Queen one show. French featured two new corps dancers (who were apprentices last year): Maggie Weirich and Ami Yuki, along with Rebecca Rhodes. All these corps dancers getting great exposure. I was wowed by Norika Matsuyama last season; she's SPF on Mon matinee. I think they've got plans for both Matsuyama and Frantziskonis; casting sure looks that way. Mentioned this to Kyra Jablonsky on opening night in the press room, and she seemed in agreement, that they are being watched with interest, so to speak.

The Sarah Lane addition shocked me. Wonder why that was deemed necessary, with so many company dancers prepped to perform? Hardly seems like the company needs help selling seats for this production. Although it's unfortunate that they started the run so late and are ending it so late. Makes you wonder how full the house is going to be as New Year's Eve approaches. (On the other hand, a great opportunity for bargain seats!)

I tend to focus on the females, but here are some of the male corps dancers being given a chance in good roles on opening night:

Spanish: Max Cauthorn, Aaron Renteria

Arabian: Gaetano Amico (who was also Mouse King)

Chinese: Lonnie Weeks

Russian: Francisco Sebastiao, Blake Kessler

I think it's very exciting to see these kind of casting choices being made. I did notice, though, that Shannon Marie Rugani is off the roster; didn't notice that in July. And no sign of Feijoo anywhere in the picture.

Several of the SFB dancers have been guesting in other Nutcrackers - Sofiane Sylve & Tiit Helimets, Vanessa Zahorian & Anthony Vincent, Mathilde Froustey & Carlo di Lanno, Maria Kochetkova & Tiit Helimets, and Vanessa Zahorian & PNB's Seth Orza - and Sarah Van Patten is on maternity leave, so perhaps this has given more opportunities to others this Nutcracker season.

I’m going to next Saturday’s matinee (no cast info yet); I’m hoping to see some (or better, all) of the new comers.

“I am just agog at the variety of dancers they're using in solo roles this Nut season."

I don’t attend the Nut every year, but whenever I have, there always seem to be many soloists and corp members dancing major roles. I fondly remember Clara Blanco, several years before she was promoted to soloist, dancing a lovely GPdD.

“I did notice, though, that Shannon Marie Rugani is off the roster; didn't notice that in July.”

I didn’t notice she was gone either; is she still performing in An American in Paris?

“The Sarah Lane addition shocked me. Wonder why that was deemed necessary, with so many company dancers prepped to perform? Hardly seems like the company needs help selling seats for this production."

Well, if they wanted to bring in a guest to sell seats, I’d think they would bring in a higher profile name. Meaning no disrespect to Ms. Lane, but I doubt if the kind of ballet goer in San Francisco who attends Nutcracker and not much else, knows a lot about soloists from a New York company.

I don’t know much about her myself, but after a little research, found that she seems to be highly regarded. Is she considered to be another neglected ABT soloist who should, but probably won’t be promoted if she stays at ABT?

I’m going to next Saturday’s matinee (no cast info yet); I’m hoping to see some (or better, all) of the new comers.

I don’t attend the Nut every year, but whenever I have, there always seem to be many soloists and corp members dancing major roles. I fondly remember Clara Blanco, several years before she was promoted to soloist, dancing a lovely GPdD.

I didn’t notice she was gone either; is she still performing in An American in Paris?

Well, if they wanted to bring in a guest to sell seats, I’d think they would bring in a higher profile name. Meaning no disrespect to Ms. Lane, but I doubt if the kind of ballet goer in San Francisco who attends Nutcracker and not much else, knows a lot about soloists from a New York company.

I don’t know much about her myself, but after a little research, found that she seems to be highly regarded. Is she considered to be another neglected ABT soloist who should, but probably won’t be promoted if she stays at ABT?

We in NYC seem to have divided opinions on Sarah Lane. I am a fan and see her as a quality dancer. I was disappointed that Kochetkova was named a principal at ABT not Lane. Others differ strongly. IMO she is definitely a neglected soloist. Case in point. She made a fine debut as Aurora but it took 5 maybe 6 years for her to be cast as Aurora again. Overall I think SFB has a better rep for dancers. Of course this is from a die hard NYCB fan.

I saw the SFB Nutcracker tonight, Tuesday the 22nd. There were some cast changes I didn't hear announced – I arrived a bit late – but it looked as though Joseph Walsh was King of the Snow for Luke Ingham and Lauren Strongin his partner, though I'm not completely sure of that. 

Mathilde Froustey danced the Sugar Plum Fairy role. How I wish the Sugar Plum Fairy variation were done by the Sugar Plum Fairy instead of the grown-up Clara in the midst of the Grand Pas. The Sugar Plum Fairy loses an essential part of her character without it, her great "speech" – plus I would have loved to have seen Froustey do it.

Vanessa Zahorian was very solid in the Grand Pas and Taras Domitro as the Nutcracker Prince gave every phrase its just measure. His mime is always surrealistically clear and certain.

There was a change I noticed in the staging of the second act. During the Grand Pas, all the characters of the divertissements now gather on the sides of the stage and watch the main dancers from there. This does help dress up the empty space of the bare-bones set, but it lessens the dramatic impact of the last scene when all the characters of the play – whom in the earlier version you haven’t seen for a while – suddenly reappear and circle around Clara asleep in her bed, like the animals of a carousel. I think the earlier version made for a more poetic ending.

Here’s the wittiest Sugar Plum Fairy of them all, Alexandra Danilova. She was 49 years old when this was recorded.

http://danceinteractive.jacobspillow.org/alexandra-danilova/sugar-plum-fairy-variation-from-the-nutcracker/

There was a change I noticed in the staging of the second act. During the Grand Pas, all the characters of the divertissements now gather on the sides of the stage and watch the main dancers from there. This does help dress up the empty space of the bare-bones set, but it lessens the dramatic impact of the last scene when all the characters of the play – whom in the earlier version you haven’t seen for a while – suddenly reappear and circle around Clara asleep in her bed, like the animals of a carousel. I think the earlier version made for a more poetic ending.

Yes, I noticed this too! (Although my thought was "hey, how did I miss that last year?" Good point, about how it lessens the dramatic impact at the end.

Some behind-the-scenes Nutcracker video here, in this short about Daniel Deivison-Oliveira:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/thetake/article/Meant-for-the-stage-Dancing-with-S-F-Ballet-s-6716140.php

The Mouse King struggling to get on stage through the trap door is pretty amusing. Ah, the magic of the stage world.

I noticed Dores Andre in Sugar Plum Fairy costume, WanTing Zhao in Arabian, but who is the other Arabian danseur? And I'm stymied by the Snow Queen and King. At first I thought it was Vanessa Zahoriana and Taras Domitro, but was that actually Sarah Lane, and Vitor Luiz? There's too much snow to see anything clearly. ;)

Some behind-the-scenes Nutcracker video here, in this short about Daniel Deivison-Oliveira:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/thetake/article/Meant-for-the-stage-Dancing-with-S-F-Ballet-s-6716140.php

The Mouse King struggling to get on stage through the trap door is pretty amusing. Ah, the magic of the stage world.

I noticed Dores Andre in Sugar Plum Fairy costume, WanTing Zhao in Arabian, but who is the other Arabian danseur? And I'm stymied by the Snow Queen and King. At first I thought it was Vanessa Zahoriana and Taras Domitro, but was that actually Sarah Lane, and Vitor Luiz? There's too much snow to see anything clearly. ;)

Regrettably, I can't access the clip. Since when does the Chronicle require a digital subscription for some of their content? Bummer.

Regrettably, I can't access the clip. Since when does the Chronicle require a digital subscription for some of their content? Bummer.

Oh you are right! That sign-up wasn't there before, or I wouldn't have bothered to post.

I can assure you that I don't subscribe to the Chronicle. ;)

Too bad, but perhaps the video will appear elsewhere...

It seems to be working again. Nice behind-the-scenes background you don't see that often, even on Instagram.

Sometimes the Chronicle stories are available after a few days, sometimes they're posted on their free - but very cluttered - SF Gate website. A reporter told me they're having a hard time figuring out just how they want to present their online content.