This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet-based/inspired novels

Does anyone know of any novels based on or inspired by ballets? I'm not talking bunhead books with ballerina heroines, but books actually based on the plot of a ballet or inspired by a particular performance?

I've heard of Lackey's The Black Swan and Claire Legrand's Winterspell (a Nutcracker retelling), but otherwise no. Anyone here have read or know of any?

Baryshnikov published a very nice book for young children Because. . . It's out of print, but Amazon has lots of copies available through book dealers at reasonable prices. I got this for my sister's granddaughter a few years ago and it's very timely - it's about people who don't fit in but who are urged to stay true to themselves. The book focuses on children who want to be dancers, but it has a broader message. Charming illustrations.

http://www.amazon.com/Because-Mikhail-Baryshnikov/dp/0689875827/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448728061&sr=1-4&keywords=baryshnikov

Yes. I'm reading one now: "Russian Winter" by Daphne Katolay. Just started it but

compelling. Will finish it!

Also, not quite the same, but a novel called Pyotr Ilyich by Adin Dalton is a good read about "you know who". For the young reader there are the two novels by Regina Woody: "Student Dancer" and "Ballet in the Barn" Possibly these are out of print.

On 10/31/2017 at 7:50 PM, lmspear said:

This sounds very interesting -- Drosselmeyer is one of those characters that can get pointed in all kinds of directions, from kindly uncle to fiendish magician.