19 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 17 February 2001 - 10:45 AM

Yes. I'd forgotten to mention Dauberval. Thanks, Jane. So many of these old ballets passed through the hands of several choreographers -- Paquita was not originally a Petipa ballet == amd often it was the mime and stage business that was kept and the dances that were changed. I hate leaving the impression that Ashton stole an older version and just added the chickens.

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2001 - 09:48 AM

Of course there was Dauberval before Petipa et. al. You don't think that I wouldn't know that, would you? Posted Image I saw the reconstruction that played Kennedy Center 10+ years ago. Quite charming.

And, yes, there were MARCELLINAs -- not 'Simones' - done en travestie before the 1885 Petipa & Ivanov Russian/Hertel edition. Please note that my point is about the greatness & importance of the most-often-performed Russian edition...the edition most often performed anywhere on earth, prior to Ashton. And - yes - there was a black-and-white film of the 1937 Maly-Lavrovsky edition (starring V. Rosenberg as Lise) making the rounds through Western Europe after WWII so it is not outside the realm of possibility that Mr. Ashton may have seen it. Who knows?

And please son't underestimate those adorable chickens! Posted Image

#18 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 20 February 2001 - 10:08 AM

Jeannie, which reconstruction did you see?
A few years ago, the Ballet du Rhin (when it still was a real ballet company) has staged a reconstruction of Ivo Cramer.
I didn't see it, and have no idea of how authentic and how interesting it was considered. I just saw a short excerpt of it in an open rehearsal, and it really m¯ade me feel like seeing more of it (but since then, the direction of the Ballet du Rhin has changed, and now they stage
only contemporary works Posted Image )

What a pity that Ashton's works are almost unknown in France! The POB performed "Rhapsody" around 4 years ago, and that's about all (I think the Ballet du Capitole de Toulouse staged "Illuminations" a few years ago). I really don't know why no more of his works are staged in France
(one part of the problem might be that there aren't many French companies adding existing classical works to their repertories...)

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 20 February 2001 - 10:19 AM

Estelle -

I saw the Bolshoi Ballet's "filial troupe" at the Alexandrinsky Theater in Leningrad/St. P. They have toured it extensively and, in fact, a Japanese televised video of this production exists.

As I mentioned earlier, a film (not video) of the 1937 Maly version (Lopukhov's original staging) also exists. Alas, the Maly dropped their fantastic staging in the 1970s, in favor of Oleg Vinogradov's revision, which is not my cup of tea but has an outrageously athletic pas de deux for Lise and Colin.

- Jeannie

#20 Alymer

Alymer

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 20 February 2001 - 03:32 PM

Estelle,
The Cramer reconstruction of Fille was absolutely charming. I saw it twice and would go to quite some trouble to see it again if the opportunity ever arose. And the dancers all sing!
By the way, you might be interested to know that the Gorsky version of Fille (Moscow 1918)is notated, at least in part. That uses the Hertel score and I've seen a pas de deux staged for a gala which looked very interesting. A production of the ballet which was done many years ago somewhere in what used to be Yugoslavia used real chickens - seemingly an old russian tradition. I gather they did what chickens tend to do and the smell was appalling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):