This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ave Maya-Gala in Honor of 90th Anniversary of Maya Plisetskaya

yudi

Ave Maya

Gala in Honor of 90th Anniversary of Maya Plisetskaya

Historic stage

20 & 21 November, 7 pm

PART I

Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Introduction to the Sleeping Beauty

Mikhail Glinka
Jota Aragonesa
Choreography by Igor Moiseyev
Igor Moiseyev State Academic Ensemble of Popular Dance

Boris Asafiev
Zarema’s variation of from The Fountain of Bakhchisarai
Choreography by Rostislav Zakharov
Yulia Yangurazova (Stepanova) (Bolshoi Theatre)

Ludwig Minkus
Kitri’s variation from the 1st act of the ballet Don Quixote
Choreography by Marius Petipa, Alexander Gorsky
Maria Alexandrova (the Bolshoi Theatre)

Ludwig Minkus
Kitri’s variation from the 3rd act of the ballet Don Quixote
Choreography by Marius Petipa, Alexander Gorsky
Ekaterina Krysanova (Bolshoi Theatre)
Solo on harp: Elizaveta Simonenko

Alexander Krein
Laurencia’s variation from the 2nd act of the ballet Laurencia
Choreography by Vakhtang Chabukiani
Angelina Vorontsova (Mikhailovsky Theatre)

Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Odile’s variation of from the 3rd act of the ballet Swan Lake
Choreography by Marius Petipa
Olga Smirnova (Bolshoi Theatre)

Alexander Glazunov
Raymonda’s variation from the 1st act of the ballet Raymonda
Ekaterina Shipulina (Bolshoi Theatre)

Alexander Glazunov
Raymonda’s variation from the 2nd act of the ballet Raymonda
Maria Allash (Bolshoi Theatre)
Solo on French horn: Alexei Raev

Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Aurora’s variation from the 3rd act of the ballet The Sleeping Beauty
Nina Kaptsova (Bolshoi Theatre)
Solo on violin: Vladimir Sklyarevsky

Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Marie’s variation from the 2nd act of the ballet Nutcracker
Choreography by Vasily Vainonen
Evgenia Obraztsova (Bolshoi Theatre)
Solo on celesta: Vladimir Chukhnov

Extracts from Maya Plisetskaya’s diary
Narrator: Anna Kamenkova

PART II

To music by Gustav Mahler
La rose malade
Choreography by Roland Petit
Costume Designer: Yves St Laurent
Uliana Lopatkina
Andrey Ermakov (Mariinsky Theatre)

Johann Sebastian Bach – Charles Gounod – Rodion Shchedrin
Ave Maria
Cello: Boris Lifanovsky
Harp: Elizaveta Simonenko
Extracts from Maya Plisetskaya’s diary
Narrator: Anna Kamenkova

To music by Maurice Ravel
Bolero
Choreography by Maurice Béjart
Set and Costume Designer: Maurice Béjart
Lighting Designer: Dominique Roman

Diana Vishneva (the Mariinsky Theatre)
Gabriel Arenas Ruiz, Connor Barlow, Francisco Javier Casado Suarez, Michelangelo Chelucci, Mattia Galiotto, Fabrice Gallarrague, Kwinten Guilliams, Juan Jimenez Sanchez, Ergys Lalaj, Kevin Lila, Anthony Maestre Benitez, Federico Matetich, Theophile Onana Essomba, Masayoshi Onuki, Vito Pansini, Laurence Rigg, Denovane Victoire, Oscar Chacon Ramirez, Felipe Ferreira Rocha Pinto, Jiayong Sun (Béjart Ballet Lausanne)
Bolshoi Theatre Corps de Ballet

PART III

Georges Bizet – Rodion Shchedrin
Carmen Suite
Choreography by Alberto Alonso
Set and Costume Designer: Boris Messerer

Carmen - Svetlana Zakharova
Jose - Denis Rodkin
Torero - Mikhail Lobukhin
Corregidor - Vitaly Biktimirov
Fate - Yulia Yangurazova (Stepanova)
Tobacco Girls - Olga Kishneva, Tatiana Lazareva, Viktoria Yakusheva
Flamenco dancers - Alexey Gaynutdinov, Anton Gaynutdinov, Dmitry Dorokhov, Vladislav Kozlov, Kirill Kireev, Anton Kondratov, Victor Meshcherekov, Apollinary Proskurnin, Erick Swolkin, Kirill Sobolev

Solo on percussion: Sergei Soloviev, Mikhail Dunaev, Igor Prokopov, Evgeny Romanov, Vasily Moiseev

Conductors – Tugan Sokhiev, Pavel Sorokin
Director – Andris Liepa
Lighting Designer – Mikhail Sokolov
Video – Nikita Tikhonov

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/927/

Pardon me, but how is it that Stepanova-Yangurazova and Vorontsova are on the programme at all given the backstory of both? The former is an extremely new hire.

The latter( (was) a controversial figure re the recent history of the Bolshoi Theatre. Secondly, how is it that Evgenia Obraztsova wasn't given one of the two Kitris, or the Aurora

Act 3 variation, but Masha? Apparently, her's is not to reason why, her's ... well you know the rest.

Andris Lipea, Zakharova, and her coach Semenyaka are very impressed with Yulia Stepanova.

Yes, my Russian friend told me she had seen a programme on TV where those three were interviewed and all said favorable things about Yulia Stepanova. This Gala should be wonderful, with so many great ballerinas taking part and a lovely selection of pieces. Personally, I think all the ballerinas are dancing entirely appropriate roles. It will be an amazing tribute to Maya Plisetskaya and I just hope that if it is shown on Russian TV, some of it will be available somewhere for us to enjoy! I can't wait to see it!

Pardon me, but how is it that Stepanova-Yangurazova and Vorontsova are on the programme at all given the backstory of both? The former is an extremely new hire.

The latter( (was) a controversial figure re the recent history of the Bolshoi Theatre. Secondly, how is it that Evgenia Obraztsova wasn't given one of the two Kitris, or the Aurora

Act 3 variation, but Masha? Apparently, her's is not to reason why, her's ... well you know the rest.

The new commercial for La Dame aux Camellias makes it look like Obraztsova is scheduled to star in the Bolshoi's cinema showing, so she might be busy rehearsing that.

Svetlana Zakharova's site makes clear that she will be the one dancing The Lady of the Camellias on film, but she doesn't spend a whole lot of time in Moscow, so presumably was not available to film any trailers. The gala casting appears to have been practically driven. Perhaps Stepanova-Yangurazova already knows Zarema's variation; there's no reason to suppose any other Bolshoi dancer would know it. Obraztsova has the greatest familiarity with Vainonen's Nutcracker. I agree that the inclusion of Vorontsova is the most surprising, given her very dramatic, if unwitting, role in recent Bolshoi history. Perhaps the Bolshoi would have liked to have had Osipiova dance an excerpt from Laurencia, but she was unavailable, so the choice fell to another Mikhailovsky dancer. But why Vorontsova rather than Borchenko or Perren is a question for the Bolshoi.

Bolshoi has published an Announcement - Ave Maya 20.11.2015. It says:

And now in memory of her and of her plans for celebrating her 90th birthday - how once again she aspired to astonish and delight her fans - the Bolshoi Theatre is ready to give its all to rise to the occasion. She both approved and blessed the PROGRAMME for her evening, she wrote it out in her own hand and we have reproduced this in facsimile in the very unusual theatre programs for the Gala. And, of course, she will be visibly present – alas, not on stage, but on the screen...

See: http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/articles/announce/ave-maya/

A huge (3501 × 2551) photo image of Maya Plisetskaya is available for downloading on page
http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/about/press/photo/maya/

1d270bc3f0c327c504709746328fdaee.jpg

I watched the telecast online--it was geo-blocked, so evidently the program is not intended for international consumption--and came away happiest with the performances of Vorontsova and Kaptsova in their brief variations. Vorontsova really flew and devoured space, and the response she received was very positive. The audience-reation shot showed pretty much everyone applauding, which wasn't the case after most of the variations. Kaptsova was notable for her characterization, because she wasn't a generic ballet princess, nor was she the Aurora of Act 1 or Act 2, but seemed to project many of the qualities of her mother (as she's usually portrayed). Definitely the queen-designate.

The worst element was the Stomp-esque number that concluded the first part of the program, while shots of Plisetskaya as cosmic fashion plate were projected as part of an absurdly cheesy light show.

Last night I clicked around YouTube and found someone's posting of Гала-концерт "Аве Майя". Часть 1
https://youtu.be/3SeccGfWDlQ
Following the Часть 1, I saw Часть 2, Часть 3, ..., Часть 8. Those are recording of Russian tv programs. Although the videos are not in HD, I can still feel the warm and moving atmosphere over theater that Maya is in everybody's heart.
I could not see Diana Vishneva's performance of Bolero in those clips. It might be cut off for some reason?

:flowers: