17 replies to this topic

#16 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 May 2001 - 12:22 PM

The little sweetheart is putting off his/her appearance so that Grandma can see POB, bless his/her heart.

Saturday night's La Bayadere
Aurelie Depont
Manual Legris
Delphine Moussin
Jeremie Belingard as The Golden Idol
Lionel Delanoe as The Fakir
Sandrine Marache: Manu
Alexandra Cardinale, Chrisophe Duquenne: Indian Dance
Shade Variations: #1: Abbagnato. #2: Pujol. #3: Muriel Halle

Aurelia Dupont was my favorite Nikiya. As Gamzatti on Tues. night she impressed me with her pirouettes and the same was certainly true Sat. night. That quality, plus her generally superb dancing, made Act III a stand-out. Even my hard-to-impress husband enjoyed it. The beauty and control of her dancing just kept unfolding and the act was a jewel. The....oh, what's it called; scarf dance?....was the best I have ever seen! The cast had some wobbly moments, especially the men. Lifts were shakey (downright scarey at times), and solos ending with tours or multiple pirouettes and then a pose on one knee had the men fighting for control. One of the leading Shades was just a tad out of sync but finally pulled it together.

Other things I noticed.
The opening scene has soldiers marching in to a very obvious tempo. It's just a bit too campy and almost sets a comical mood right at the beginning of the ballet.
I think it's the "Dance Djampo" in Scene 2 of Act I. There are about 8 women dancing and they make one of the greatest exits, rapidly dancing sideways as they go off. It's so quick, lively, and happy that you want to applaud the exit itself.
Nureyev's presence is felt throughout the ballet. I find him almost standing on stage at the beginning of Act III when Solor comes in swirling a cape, then goes into a typical Nureyev-choreographed solo.
Legris is not only an excellent dancer but very strong. It's been posted that he's 36 or 37, and he lifts his ballerinas with apparent ease.

It was wonderful to have POB here; I hope they return soon.

OK, sweetie; you can be born now.
Giannina/Grandma

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Giannina Mooney ]

#17 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 May 2001 - 06:35 AM

Could you say me if Emmanuel thibault danced Gold idol one day and if Hervé Moreau, has danced indian dance.

#18 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 14 May 2001 - 10:03 AM

Francoise...sorry but the only casting I can give you is for the nights I attended the ballet. Other casts were not published in the newspaper, and the only performances reviewed in the newspaper were for the nights I attended, cooincidentally. On my programs they are listed among the corps dancers, for example Solor's Friends, The Kshatriyas.

Giannina

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Giannina Mooney ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):