This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Viscera, Afternoon/Faun, Tchaikovsky Pd2, Carmen

The Royal Ballet will beam a mixed bill live to cinemas on Thursday, November 12, starting at 7:15 pm GMT.

Scarlett/Liebermann: Viscera
Laura Morera, Marianela Nuñez, Ryoichi Hirano

Robbins/Debussy: Afternoon of a Faun

Sarah Lamb, Vadim Muntagirov

Balanchine/Tchaikovsky: Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux

Iana Salenko, Steven McRae

Acosta/Bizet (arr. Yates): Carmen

Carmen - Marianela Nuñez

Don José - Carlos Acosta

Escamillo - Federico Bonelli

http://www.roh.org.uk/showings/carmenvisceraafternoon-of-a-fauntchaikovsky-pas-de-deux-live-2015

Acosta's Carmen, as is well known by now, has received poor reviews, but this performance should be of interest to his fans it will be his last broadcast with the Royal Ballet. This is essentially his farewell production.

Participating cinemas in Europe will be screening the program live, except in Finland and Bulgaria; presumably the two-hour time difference makes live screenings from the U.K. impractical.

In the U.S., some Cinemark Cinemas will have a same-day screening on the evening of November 12, and the really nutty thing is that at many locations, the Royal Ballet will be going head-to-head with Ballet Hispanico, whose program also includes a version of Carmen.

AK: Anchorage

AZ: Oro Valley, Tucson

CA: Huntington Beach, Lancaster, Monterey, Orange, Playa Vista, Pleasant Hill, Rancho Mirage, Redwood City, Roseville, San Rafael, Walnut Creek

CO: Colorado Springs

FL: Boca Raton Boynton Beach Davie
IL: Evanston

IN: Valparaiso

MT: Kalispell

NV: Las Vegas-1, Las Vegas-2, Reno

NM: Albuquerque

OR: Beaverton, Medford, Springfield

PA: Monaca

SC: Bluffton

TX: Corpus Christi, Harlingen, The Woodlands

UT: Salt Lake City

VA: Fairfax (+Nov. 22)

Screening at other U.S. cinemas will follow later, primarily in early January. Listings are on the ROH cinema page. Please double check them locally.

http://www.roh.org.uk/showings/carmenvisceraafternoon-of-a-fauntchaikovsky-pas-de-deux-live-2015
http://us.rohcinema.com/tickets

In Canada the screenings will take place on the morning or afternoon of Sunday, November 15, and will be split between the Cineplex and Landmark chains.

AB: Calgary [Lx2], Edmonton [L C], Lethbridge [C]

BC: Campbell River [L], Coquitlam [C], Courtenay [L], Kamloops [L], Kelowna [L], Langley [C], Nanaimo [L], New Westminster [L], North Vancouver [L], Penticton [L], Richmond [C], Vancouver [C]

MB: Winnipeg [C, L]

NB: Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John (all Cineplex)

NL: St. John's [C]

NS: Dartmouth, Halifax, Sydney (all Cineplex)

ON: Ancaster [C], Barrie [C], Belleville [C], Burlington [C], Collingwood [C], East Gwillimbury [C], Etobicoke [C], Gloucester [C], Guelph [C], Kanata [L], Kingston [C], Kitchener [L], London [C], Niagara Falls [C], Oakville [C], Orleans [L], Oshawa [C], Ottawa [C], Peterborough [C], Sarnia [C], Scarborough [C], St. Catharines [L], St. Thomas [C], Thunder Bay [C], Toronto [Cx3], Vaughan [C], Whitby [L], Windsor [C]

QC: Brossard, Cote Saint-Luc, Kirkland, Laval, Montreal (x2), Sherbrooke, Ste-Foy (all Cineplex)

SK: Regina, Saskatoon (all Cineplex)

Screenings in Australia and Mexico will take place in December. Japanese screenings will take place in January.

Yes, in the United States a number of Cinemark cinemas will be screening both programs on November 12 at 7:00 pm making it physically impossible to see both, unless a person were to sneak into the other auditorium during intermission breaks to catch a glimpse of the other program. And both performances include a version of Carmen, which could really confuse cashiers at ticket counters.

It's absurd. The Ballet Hispanico program was recorded months ago; the Royal Ballet program is time-delayed in the U.S. There's no good reason why they should be showing at the exact same time.

I am going to see Ballet Hispanics tonight. Last time I went to see Alvin Ailey, which was a very fresh experience to me. Although I didn;t really like Chroma that I felt I was watching a figure skating competition, its fun to watch Grace and Revelations.

For ROH, I bet on that ROH might release a DVD for their Carmen and Afternoon of a Faun. :flowers:

This program will be screened again in a limited (and shrinking!) number of U.S. cinemas in early January.

January 3: Frank Theatres, Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington, NY

January 3 & 6: Dairy Arts Centre in Boulder, CO, Limelight Cinema in Bellingham, WA

January 4: Showcase Cinemas

January 6: Symphony Space in New York City, Carolina Theatre in Durham, NC, Cinemas Palme D'Or in Palm Desert, CA,
January 6 & 9: City Lights Cinemas in Florence, OR

January 9: Rialto Elmwood in Berkeley, CA
January 10 & 20: Princeton Garden Theatre in Princeton, NJ

This program will be screened again in a limited (and shrinking!) number of U.S. cinemas in early January.

January 3: Frank Theatres, Cinema Arts Centre in Huntington, NY

January 3 & 6: Dairy Arts Centre in Boulder, CO, Limelight Cinema in Bellingham, WA

January 4: Showcase Cinemas

January 6: Symphony Space in New York City, Carolina Theatre in Durham, NC, Cinemas Palme D'Or in Palm Desert, CA,

January 6 & 9: City Lights Cinemas in Florence, OR

January 9: Rialto Elmwood in Berkeley, CA

Also, January 10: Garden Theater, Princeton, NJ (http://princetongardentheatre.org/films/ballet-carmen-viscera-afternoon-of-faun-pas-de-deux )

Fiddlesticks -- this is listed on the ROH website for a Sunday 3 January screening in Redmond (suburb outside of Seattle) but when I called the theater to confirm they don't have anything scheduled. I was really hoping to see Viscera. I haven't seen much of Scarlett's work and this seems to have a very mixed reception.

After watching Acosta's Carmen earlier today, I'm just dying to know whether it will be released on DVD. Does anyone know?

I absolutely loved it. I can understand why it would get poor reviews from some, but the aesthetic really appealed to me and it reminded me in atmosphere and expression of a lot of the works Hübbe has put up here in Denmark. I found it brilliant, to say the least.