This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT to perform on "Jimmy Kimmel Live."

A release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

TO PERFORM ON ABC’S “JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE,”

MONDAY, OCTOBER 19 11:35|10:35p CT

Principal Dancer Misty Copeland and Company members from American

Ballet Theatre will make a guest appearance on the first night of ABC's “Jimmy Kimmel Live” at Brooklyn Academy of Music in Brooklyn, NY, Monday, October 19, 2015. Host Jimmy Kimmel will welcome Ms. Copeland and fifteen ABT dancers for a special performance on the BAM stage, choreographed for the occasion by former ABT Principal Dancer Ethan Stiefel.

“Jimmy Kimmel Live” airs at 11:35|10:35p CT on ABC. For more information, visit abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live.

American Ballet Theatre performs its Fall Season at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center from October 21 through November 1. For more information, please visit www.abt.org.

A release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Ballet Theatre will make a guest appearance on the first night of ABC's “Jimmy Kimmel Live” at Brooklyn Academy of Music in Brooklyn, NY, Monday, October 19, 2015. Host Jimmy Kimmel will welcome Ms. Copeland and fifteen ABT dancers for a special performance on the BAM stage, choreographed for the occasion by former ABT Principal Dancer Ethan Stiefel.

“Jimmy Kimmel Live” airs at 11:35|10:35p CT on ABC. For more information, visit abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live.

American Ballet Theatre performs its Fall Season at the David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center from October 21 through November 1. For more information, please visit www.abt.org.

Hope I can stay awake till then, but I am sure they will have it up the next day in case. Thanks for this info! :flowers: Wonder whom they will have there too and excited to see a Stiefel choreography, is this a sign that he is returning to do more for the Company?

Hope I can stay awake till then, but I am sure they will have it up the next day in case. Thanks for this info! :flowers: Wonder whom they will have there too and excited to see a Stiefel choreography, is this a sign that he is returning to do more for the Company?

God willing, he will be the next Artistic Director of ABT. Sooner rather than later!

A release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Actually after seeing this update on ABT Facebook, I am not too sure if I would bother staying up to catch this at all :( Although my grandchild is a girl, I do know about all the "bullying" towards boys in ballet and this seems to me will add to the issues. Even though this is done as a comedic set, this only adds fuel to the fire and a bit self serving on Misty's part. IMO this would have been far better served for the ballet world to have Kimmel try to partner her as a true "male" ballerina and not make a mockery of these athletes. I do wonder what Ethan is thinking if he did do the choreography.

<https://www.facebook.com/JimmyKimmelLive/photos/a.288188438373.143312.195974498373/10153661925288374/?type=3&theater>

As silly as it was, it appealed to the mass market audience. I don't think it was any worse than Nureyev's pas de deux with Miss Piggy on The Muppets (still available on YouTube, I think). It's unfortunate if it gives little girls any ideas about moving into pointe shoes right away after a few classes.

The real outrage was the fact that Gillian Murphy, the best dancer in the group, was relegated to the corps, while Misty Copeland was the star. But if that's what it takes to get people into the theater, so be it. This kind of popular entertainment is not unlike The Nutcracker - I can only take so much of it, but it sustains the finances of almost every company in the US, so that's okay.

I assume Stiefel and Murphy didn't have to participate unless they wanted. (Shows Murphy is a good sport since it's been some time since she has been relegated to the corps!) I thought Copeland was charming and danced beautifully for the context. As noted above, the goofy schtick is not surprising when it's ballet on Jimmy Kimmel. The Bell Telephone hour he's not. For now, I'm inclined to think it a good thing that ballet is getting some more attention on late night television.

I thought Copeland was charming and danced beautifully for the context. As noted above, the goofy schtick is not unsurprising when it's ballet on Jimmy Kimmel. The Bell Telephone hour he's not. For now, I'm inclined to think it a good thing that ballet is getting some more attention on late night television.

You put your finger right on it -- she dances well "for the context." This is indeed not the Bell Telephone Hour. Remember David Hallberg on Steven Colbert's old show...