This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Ballet Day schedule announced

kbarber

I finally got a chance to see some footage from World Ballet day (not close to all of it). The live classes and rehearsals are definitely a treat, but I found myself wondering if one reason the Bolshoi does so much that is pre-recorded is that they can then subtitle the segments (and so reach a bigger audience) rather than have interviews in Russian followed by someone--Novikova in this case--racing through on the spot translations/summaries of whatever was just said. (Some aspects of the Bolshoi pre-recorded interviews I enjoyed -- including the one with Tsvirko.)

I finally got a chance to see some footage from World Ballet day (not close to all of it). The live classes and rehearsals are definitely a treat, but I found myself wondering if one reason the Bolshoi does so much that is pre-recorded is that they can then subtitle the segments (and so reach a bigger audience) rather than have interviews in Russian followed by someone--Novikova in this case--racing through on the spot translations/summaries of whatever was just said. (Some aspects of the Bolshoi pre-recorded interviews I enjoyed -- including the one with Tsvirko.)

I think that's an important reason for their approach. I also think/notice that the Russian companies are especially sensitive about looking at all disheveled or foolish, while the Western companies don't worry so much about the little mistakes - Westerners like seeing the full range of human expressions, and off-beat incidents add interest. Life is messy. But Russian ballet is very much about appearing as beautiful and serious of purpose as possible.

San Francisco Ballet, sadly in rather low definition

Yes, that is disappointing, as usual. Let's just hope they put up an HD version soon so we can all actually see something. SFB is supposed to be marketing their company with this footage, after all. Is this really how they want to come off in comparison to the other companies?

At last. ;)

All the rehearsal footage is interesting - for different reasons, of course. These are the principals and soloists that I can remember appearing (correct me where I am wrong):

Giselle
Choreography by Helgi Tomasson after Marius Petipa, Jules Perrot, and Jean Coralli
Composer: Adolphe Adam

>> Yuan Yuan Tan and Tiit Helimets
>> Mathilde Froustey and Carlo Di Lanno

with Sofiane Sylve as Myrthe, and Sasha De Sola and WanTing Zhao as her 'seconds'

The Fifth Season
Choreography by Helgi Tomasson
Composer: Karl Jenkins

>> Frances Chung, Vitor Luiz, Mathilde Froustey, Tiit Helimets, Carlos Quenedit

Hummingbird
Choreography by Liam Scarlett
Composer: Philip Glass

>> Yuan Yuan Tan and Luke Ingham

Rush
Choreography by Christopher Wheeldon
Composer: Bohuslav Martinů

>> Dores André and Joan Boada

Theme and Variations
Choreography by George Balanchine
Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

>> Vanessa Zahorian and Carlo Di Lanno, and the Corps

Fearful Symmetries (World Premiere)
Choreography by Liam Scarlett
Composer: John Adams

>> Frances Chung and Vitor Luiz, Lorena Feijoo and Luke Ingham, Lauren Strongin, Hansuke Yamamoto, Sofiane Sylve, Dores André, Jennifer Stahl and the Corps

Frances Chung's partner is Vitor Luiz in the rehearsal footage of "Fearful Symmetries." Their rehearsal is a good deal of the aired footage.

Thanks Helene - I amended the list. I actually forgot about that part - all I was remembering was the exhausting group dance. The dancers looked ready for the day to end, but Scarlett was a totally absorbed superman. Since the Fearful Symmetries ballet is far from complete, he must feel that every day with the dancers must count.

Scottish Ballet has put up its pre recorded session of David Dawson rehearsing principal dancers in his new version of Swan Lake for the company. It premieres next year.

Link here

I recall that there are some of you out there with an interest in Dawson. It was quite an intense few minutes, he works the dancers quite hard.

Thanks so much for the link -- I am indeed very interested in Dawson and am glad for this look. It's a special kind of challenge when a choreographer works with one of the heritage ballets.

I had to smile though, when he said "sorry to be picky" while they were working on a lift, because we all know (including the dancers in the rehearsal) that he's not sorry a bit. Nor should he be.