This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Miko Fogarty

Amour

Congrats to Miko Fogarty that she is with the Birmingham Royal Ballet. I watched the film First Position that she was featured in with interest. The film left me with questions about the competition scene. Did Ms. Fogarty really need all those private lessons and competition prep to land a corps contract in the BRB (I am in no way denigrating that company)? I don't know. I'm an old timer and things have changed so I don't know the answer. I hope she copes well with standing in line, making formations and not having a coach and mother telling her what to do.

I have worked various Asian Competitions, as a judge where Ms. Forgarty was the leading guest artist. She was without her mother and handled herself quite well with the young children and the international panel of judges. She is still a youngster. She will develop personally and professionally.

As for the private lessons, I have no idea. Really only she and her teacher know that answer. I am not a private lesson fan so it is best I not begin on that subject.

So Miko is no longer on the Birmingham website.  Anyone know what happened to her?  

I hope I'm wrong but I fear that she is more into being a "celebrity" ballet dancer on instagram/social media, then she is in working her way up a company.  Hope that is not the case because she is very talented.

Interestingly, she was always on a 1-year contract w/ BRB (http://dancetabs.com/2015/06/birmingham-royal-ballet-promotions-leavers-and-starters-june-2015/). 

She's been dealing with an injury as well: 

I do wish she'd find a place to settle down and grow as an artist (full disclosure: I used to take open class with her often in the Bay Area and she's a lovely dancer and person). I wonder if the plan is to take this year off and audition in the spring. 

Similarly, I'm somewhat confused by Juliet Doherty's remaining in AZ and on the competition/Instagram circuit after her successes w/ SFBS and the Stroman "Little Dancer" show and wonder if these girls are really making a decent living outside the confines of a traditional company through sponsorships etc. 

1 hour ago, apollosmuse said:

Similarly, I'm somewhat confused by Juliet Doherty's remaining in AZ and on the competition/Instagram circuit after her successes w/ SFBS and the Stroman "Little Dancer" show and wonder if these girls are really making a decent living outside the confines of a traditional company through sponsorships etc. 

Agree to an extent, but she didn't stay at SFBS long. IIRC, she left for Master Ballet Academy (where her mom is now teaching) and Instagram. Perhaps Instagram should start its own ballet company...

Edited by PeggyTulle
29 minutes ago, PeggyTulle said:

Agree to an extent, but she didn't stay at SFBS long. IIRC, she left for Master Ballet Academy (where her mom is now teaching) and Instagram. Perhaps Instagram should start its own ballet company...

She was there 2.5 years and did Clara twice in Nut. Not that long perhaps, but as long (or longer) than many company members train there. 

4 hours ago, apollosmuse said:

Interestingly, she was always on a 1-year contract w/ BRB (http://dancetabs.com/2015/06/birmingham-royal-ballet-promotions-leavers-and-starters-june-2015/). 

She's been dealing with an injury as well: 

I do wish she'd find a place to settle down and grow as an artist (full disclosure: I used to take open class with her often in the Bay Area and she's a lovely dancer and person). I wonder if the plan is to take this year off and audition in the spring. 

I didn't know she was injured.  Hope she heals up and gets back to a company soon.  She is so talented, I'd really like to see her progress through a company.  Same with Juliet Doherty.  I didn't realize she was no longer at SFBS.

Juliet actually left SFBS, after her Little Dancer stint, and kind of in a mad dash.  She is with the Master Ballet Academy teachers and has done some guesting.  She went to Varna (and maybe made it to the 2nd round.)  

I think that there *may* be a lack of depth in the training of these two young women.  I think that something happens when you flit from studio to studio, as they both did and then run around to galas and competitions. If your training is focusing constantly on the next performance, which I believe they both did, then you really can be sacrificing technique. . . at least you might be sacrificing the extra time that your peers are spending in the studio. And those fine differences may be distinguishing dancers at the professional ranks.

In addition, these people tend to focus so much on their promotion scheme (pictures, galas, competitions, modeling, contests) that they forget to invest time in what they are promoting--their dance skills. If it's good enough to render a stunning picture or quad pirouette on a video, then they think that they are good enough for a company.  But the company doesn't want a picture or a quad pirouette. They want you to stay in line with the corps. .  At 16 they kind of view themselves as finished products, when they aren't.

Edited by balletforme
typos

A large company is unlikely to want a green solo dancer, especially one that hasn't been trained by their school.  It's possible if they are a small-medium-sized company that wants to do a shake-up, like Tom Seaver did for the late 60's Mets, when he refused to accept the laissez faire attitude of his teammates.  It's tricky for company morale to bring in someone from the outside to take on featured roles, and companies have to be convinced the dancer is worth that. 

Most companies need role players, dancers who are willing to do a brilliant job in the corps when there are a series of injuries, even when they've been promoted to a higher rank or have been featured, and having corps experience is critical to being useful for the vast majority of dancers.  

There are rare exceptions, like Darci Kistler, who in the "Six Ballerinas" documentary, described herself as being a pretty bad corps dancer and going home in tears.  She was soon pulled out of the corps and anointed for solo roles exclusively, by Balanchine and Martins, but she was a needle in a haystack and was "finished" at SAB.

This is something I've been wondering about too. Both Miko and Juliet are lovely talented dancers with excellent technique, but they seem to be more into solos and galas and promoting themselves online than securing a career in a prestigious theather. I wonder what they plan to do in the long run.

She's making a different choice, but she didn't invent that choice:  there have long been dancers who do galas and guest.  And she's hardly to first dancer to have a prominent presence on social media.  And I don't think wanting to be the center of attention on stage is all that uncommon among dancers.  You don't dance Odette or Aurora from the back of the corps.

On 11/22/2017 at 8:21 AM, ClaraFan said:

I was just thinking about Miko this morning. Hard to really find anything all current on her.  I do hope she resurfaces soon, and preferably in ballet, but even if not, I wish her luck.

And now her latest Insta post, which is from about an hour ago. More important updates soon:

latest post

Her Insta bio now has her as a "former professional ballerina".

Miko Fogarty has been studying at UCSF -

"Traded those tutus and pointe shoes for scrubs and gloves.
Some of you may not know, but I’m doing brain tumor research now @ucsf ! 👩🏻‍🔬 It is really fun work and I am enjoying it a lot!"

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp8PiQ0A9Qx/

She will be delivering a TED talk about her experiences next week at Zellerbach Hall in Berkeley

Date: March 9, 2019
Time: 10am-12pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BukU8urgtqG/

Edited by pherank