This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

Hee Seo is the exchange artist. As noted somewhere in this thread, Hee Seo will perform Aurora next month at the Mariinsky, with Shkylarov as Prince Desire and Kondaurova as Lilac.

In her FB, Christine Schevchenko posts that she is in St Petersburg- Mariinsky" taking classes and rehearsing". Maybe, she is the exchange artist?

Gosh I tried to read the thread to get a handle on the ticket policies, and I still can't make heads of tales of it. To give you some perspective, Seattle Opera leaves a note on my seat before each performance, once the box office manager even came up to me and introduced himself, thanked me for subscribing and gave me a voucher for a free wine or dessert at the lobby counter. I've always been pleased when exchanging tickets with both Seattle Opera and PNB.

Given how well the PAB Don Q was reviewed, maybe it's less time / hassle / expense to take the train to Philly to see PAB than bother with ABT? At least you'll have well rehearsed dancers who are exciting to watch?

Given how well the PAB Don Q was reviewed, maybe it's less time / hassle / expense to take the train to Philly to see PAB than bother with ABT? At least you'll have well rehearsed dancers who are exciting to watch?

PA Ballet gives subscribers 15% off all additional tickets, along with the perk of free exchanges, special events, and a few other things:

http://www.paballet.org/1617season

NYCB's Create-your-own series, with at least six performances over the entire year (spring-winter-fall), has a nice exchange privilege with no fee. And it's late enough in the year that you can pick your own seats, as traditional subscribers already have theirs:

http://www.nycballet.com/Season-Tickets/Subscribe.aspx

PNB offers 15-20-25% discounts on additional single tickets, plus a lot of other things:

https://www.pnb.org/season/subscriptions/subscriber-resources/#subscriber-benefits

San Francisco offers 25% discounts on additional single tickets and the opportunity to purchase them before the general public:

https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/subscribe

etc., etc....what have these companies figured out that ABT hasn't?

[/url]

NYCB's Create-your-own series, with at least six performances over the entire year (spring-winter-fall), has a nice exchange privilege with no fee. And it's late enough in the year that you can pick your own seats, as traditional subscribers already have theirs:

http://www.nycballet.com/Season-Tickets/Subscribe.aspx

[/url]

NYCB also gives a 15% discount on all additional tickets (except Nutcracker and galas) to subscribers, both regular and Create your own. Even better, you can exchange tickets over the phone. You discard your old ticket and they mail you the new one. ABT is truly living in the dark ages. It's a wonder it's still in existence.

James Timm was immediately responsive to my email. I complained about phone/internet fees for subscribers and my experience at the box office this week where I was told that I could not yet purchase additional single tickets. He apologized, said I had been given wrong information, and processed my order for me with no fees attached. This is from his initial response:

"2016 ABT subscribers may order additional single tickets at the time of

subscribing. I am very sorry if you heard otherwise.

There are also no additional fees for single tickets if ordered at the

time of subscription.

ABT also does not charge a facility fee, unlike many of our competitors,

which benefits our customers.

I hope this information may prove helpful."

Something very bizarre is going on. Every subscriber I've spoken with was denied the chance to buy any additional single tickets at the box office window until the public on sale date. It's not just one Met box office emplouyee who is doing this. It's all of them, and they state that they are acting on direct orders from ABT. Is ABT now trying to pretend that all of these Met employees have gone "rogue" and are not acting based on instructions from ABT? It appears that the marketing department has no clue that another department within ABT provided these instructions to the Met.

James Timm was immediately responsive to my email. I complained about phone/internet fees for subscribers and my experience at the box office this week where I was told that I could not yet purchase additional single tickets. He apologized, said I had been given wrong information, and processed my order for me with no fees attached. This is from his initial response:

"2016 ABT subscribers may order additional single tickets at the time of

subscribing. I am very sorry if you heard otherwise.

There are also no additional fees for single tickets if ordered at the

time of subscription.

ABT also does not charge a facility fee, unlike many of our competitors,

which benefits our customers.

I hope this information may prove helpful."

Subscribers can always order single tickets without the ability to pick their own seats. The complaints level against ABT this year is that subscribers can't buy single tickets and pick their own seats during the exchange week.

Subscribers can always order single tickets without the ability to pick their own seats. The complaints level against ABT this year is that subscribers can't buy single tickets and pick their own seats during the exchange week.

Time of subscribing for me was in November. That's still not what policy was previously.

getting ready to get my tickets on Sunday.

I'm taking my mom to her first ever ballet and she wants to see Romeo and Juliet. It seems the Saturday matinee is the only agreeable time, so it looks like I'll be seeing the Copeland cast. Which I don't mind seeing Misty, and I like Simkin, I just can't imagine them dancing together. Is Misty that short? I don't know why they don't put Lane and Simkin together, seems more of a match, physically.

I'm really sad to see the "on leave" designation for Hallberg on the brochure...but it indeed has been 2 years -- can't believe it! I know that during his time off due to injuries he has explored other artistic avenues, but my question now is does anyone know if he's attempted to com back? Has he taken classes or danced at all?

Also, it's a pleasant surprise to see that Stella and Gillian have both been with the company for 20 years already! Where has the time gone! (and that means Gillian is the senior most principal now...oh my!)

Anyways, back to tickets...I might make an impromptu trip to NYC this May, but I haven't decided yet, which means I have a hard time justifying pre-buying single tickets...what is the same day/same week buying situation for ABT at the Met? When does the box office open and what kind of seats are usually left? And are "day of" tickets priced higher -- i.e. how dynamic are the prices if I decide to just walk up? thanks!

I exchanged my tickets today at the Met and was able to buy additional single tickets and picked my own seats. I don't know if they changed the policy or they didn't allow single ticket sales on the first day of exchange. The ticket agent was very friendly and helpful, he's the one with goatee and dark short hair. If he's on duty I always wait for him to serve me. Anyway, if you've exchanged your tickets already, you can still buy single tickets before the box office opens to general public this Sunday, just tell them your subscribers id number.

I exchanged my tickets today at the Met and was able to buy additional single tickets and picked my own seats. I don't know if they changed the policy or they didn't allow single ticket sales on the first day of exchange. The ticket agent was very friendly and helpful, he's the one with goatee and dark short hair. If he's on duty I always wait for him to serve me. Anyway, if you've exchanged your tickets already, you can still buy single tickets before the box office opens to general public this Sunday, just tell them your subscribers id number.

I sent an email to Mr.Timm and received a prompt response that subscribers could buy single tickets at any time before the box office opens. I will call to verify this but I assume after all the complaints, they changed their policy.

LOL. Mr. Timm is having a busy week. I emailed him yesterday too. He replied promptly and was trying to be helpful. He claims that ABT subscribers are allowed to buy single tixs at the box office window during priority week, and that this has always been the case. He did not offer any explanation as to why every box office employee previously refused to sell the tickets on ABT's instructions.

Armed with my email from Mr. Timm, I intend to revisit (for the third time this week!!!) the box office tonight or tomorrow to see what the latest and greatest policy is on this topic.

Best of luck to anyone intending to wait on line Sunday. The weather is going to be ugly.

Someone at ABT must have read Ballet Alert or sales must be abysmal! This is an email I just received from ABT. Note the last paragraph.

Sent by: American Ballet Theatre

Reply to the sender

Dear Subscriber:

American Ballet Theatre looks forward to its 2016 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House, and we are very grateful for your support as a subscriber.

We hope that you have been able to take advantage of this week's priority subscription exchange privileges continuing through tomorrow, Saturday March 19 at the Met Box Office. Subscribers may exchange subscription tickets for any 2016 Spring Season performance, excluding the Gala on May 16 evening.

If you would like, subscribers may also purchase additional individual tickets before the Box Office opens to the general public this Sunday March 20. Additional individual tickets may be purchased at the Met Box Office today or tomorrow from 10am-8pm or by telephone at 212-362-6000.

Cordially,

American Ballet Theatre

I think Mr. Timm reported to his superiors at ABT the number of complaints he received, and they now are doing a 180 degree shift from the rules that were in effect earlier in the week. What I find troubling, among other things, is that there is a pretense that they never instructed the Met not to sell singles to subscribers during priority week. Give me a break. Hopefully the Met employeees at the box office window are now fully aware that they are allowed to sell singles.

So much wasted time and energy, and for what?!.

It annoys me too that they aren't more honest about it. Why not just say they made a change, but (in modern corporate parlance) "we heard from our subscribers that it was the wrong call," "Our subscribers let us know this was an important benefit that mattered to them," or some such.

It also sounds like there's some friction between ABT and the Met box office.

I'm not sure there is friction with the Met box office. Someone noted above that one of the box office employees was critical of the fact that ABT was not allowing single ticket sales, because the result would be even longer lines and more work for them during the week of March 20th. I think this came directly from ABT as a scheme to ultimately make more money once dynamic pricing starts, and it backfired. If there wasn't friction before, I guess there will be now, since ABT is trying to distance itself from this mess by taking the coward's way out and pretending that there must have been a miscommunication in the instructions received by the Met employees.

I'm not sure there is friction with the Met box office. Someone noted above that one of the box office employees was critical of the fact that ABT was not allowing single ticket sales, because the result would be even longer lines and more work for them during the week of March 20th. I think this came directly from ABT as a scheme to ultimately make more money once dynamic pricing starts, and it backfired. If there wasn't friction before, I guess there will be now, since ABT is trying to distance itself from this mess by taking the coward's way out and pretending that there must have been a miscommunication in the instructions received by the Met employees.

I've just returned from the Met BO where I was indeed able to purchase the single tickets I would have bought on Sunday last had we been permitted to do so. The BO person rolled her eyes when I mentioned the "mis-communication" between ABT and the MET BO. She said it was never the Met's idea to do this "new policy" and she iterated again that the Met fought to not have it done. I'm afraid this has to lie at ABT's feet. I'm glad I was able to make my transaction without having to make a trip down there on Sunday, when the crowds will be heavier. I got excellent seating in the center front row of the G. Tier, so I'm guessing tickets are not rushing out of the BO for many performances. And since I didn't buy on last Sunday I was able to reassess what I did want to buy and what I could do without. Suffice to say I came away with fewer performances than I had originally planned on and much more money in my pocket than in ABT's!! ABT really needs to re-think it's subscription policies.

I, too, was able to buy single tickets today. And like mimsyb, my ticket agent told me that ABT had previously not allowed the box office to sell subscribers single tickets. They changed course on Wednesday. She apologized for the inconvenience in having to come to the box office twice.

I also got my singles this evening. Box office rep said it was ABT's directive to not sell singles to subscribers, but the backlash from subscribers calling and emailing with complaints caused ABT to change course. Time for whoever cooked up this scheme (and then tried to blame it on the Met) to lose his or her job.

I also got my singles this evening. Box office rep said it was ABT's directive to not sell singles to subscribers, but the backlash from subscribers calling and emailing with complaints caused ABT to change course. Time for whoever cooked up this scheme (and then tried to blame it on the Met) to lose his or her job.

And ABT really needs to get a competent Executive Director to bring the company into this century. I haven't heard anything that they have that person, or am I wrong?