This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

I just received the single ticket brochure, Hallberg is no longer listed, I don't know if that means he's gone just for the current season or for good.

Also, on the Met site the costume design for Le Corsaire is listed as Irina Tibilova that's the old production, not the new one by Anibal Lapiz that premiered in 2013, so I assume they are going back to the old production. I wonder for what happened to the new one.

I just received the single ticket brochure, Hallberg is no longer listed, I don't know if that means he's gone just for the current season or for good.

Also, on the Met site the costume design for Le Corsaire is listed as Irina Tibilova that's the old production, not the new one by Anibal Lapiz that premiered in 2013, so I assume they are going back to the old production. I wonder for what happened to the new one.

Hallberg is listed only on the back cover, thus, following the list of regular Principals:

"...Guest Artist-David Hallberg (on leave)"

Hallberg's name no longer up among the Principals, in alphabetical order, as he was in the previous subscription brochure, in other words. ABT has pulled his name off the standard list.

Natalia, I don't know which makes me sadder, "guest artist" or "on leave". In either case, I hope that the last time I saw him dance wasn't the final time. On the other hand I think this is the better way to handle his absence rather than hoping for tbds or as in the past, casting him only to have that change.

Guest artist at least implies that at some point in the future Hallberg may appear with ABT on a limited basis. I'm sure we will all be watching very closely whether Hallberg actually performs with the Bolshoi in London this summer, as per their advertisements.

I think listing him as "on leave" "guest artist" has as much to do with financial considerations as with public relations with ABT ticket buyers. At some point ABT and Hallberg had to decide what his future status would be, because as long as he continued to be an employee of ABT, with the status of principal, he continued to accrue whatever benefits and salary were due under his union contract. The change in his status is probably very significant as far as his compensation / benefits from ABT. Of course, nobody knows what those conversations were between ABT and Hallberg. Maybe Hallberg wanted to cut formal ties with ABT. However, I do think it's very incongruous and unfair to allow someone like Vishneva, whose relationship with ABT has been minimal and tenuous for years, to continue with the status of principal, and at the same time to cut Hallberg from the principal roster.

Added: I think if David is able to appear in London this summer with the Bolshoi, he will have come "full circle" regarding his injuries. His last appearances were with the Bolshoi in NY in July 2014, so it would only be fitting that his first appearances after this long and awful period would again be with the Bolshoi on tour. I hope he can take the stage and dazzle all those lucky enough to be there.

Natalia, I don't know which makes me sadder, "guest artist" or "on leave". In either case, I hope that the last time I saw him dance wasn't the final time. On the other hand I think this is the better way to handle his absence rather than hoping for tbds or as in the past, casting him only to have that change.

I think "guest artist" is a better category for Hallberg given his infrequent performances with the company. But, I agree w/ abatt that Vishneva shouldn't be able to keep her status of principal either. Regardless, I too wonder if the last time I saw Hallberg dance will actually be the last. I sure hope not and hope he recovers well.

Maybe this comment should be moved elsewhere, but I'm glad to see that Hallberg's potential future at the Bolshoi was not wrapped up with the guy who brought him over - Sergei Filin. The fact that they are advertising him as part of the Bolshoi tour is indicative that if he can dance his future is secure at the Bolshoi, even though Filin is out.

In addition I remember that Russian press reports about the non-renewal of Filin's contract indicated he would still be largely responsible for organizing the London tour.

I am not privy to the details of individual principals' contracts with ABT. If a dancer performs infrequently, but is paid per performance, the company wouldn't really lose anything by having that person on the roster. (That said, my personal sympathy always lies with the full-timers.) If a dancer performs infrequently or not at all but is drawing a monthly salary, that constitutes a financial burden the company probably can't afford to bear.

To my surprise, today at the ticket exchange box office for ABT, I was told you could only obtain as many tickets as you were exchanging. In other words, you could not purchase any tickets in addition to the number you were exchanging. Did anyone else have this problem, or did I just get a wise guy box office employee? I've been an ABT subscriber for a good 15 years, and I have never had this problem. I've always been permitted in the past to buy additional tickets beyond the number I exchanged during the priority exchange week. The end result will be that I will have to return to the box office to get rid of some tickets I was marginally interested in to get certain other dates. I won't be repurchasing the marginal interest dates at a later time. Good job ABT! Considering that the place is half empty most nights, this new policy doesn't make any sense. The box office person said that ABT was "adamant" that no additional tickets be sold to subscribers during the priority week.

I think you got a wise guy. I exchanged five tickets, ending up with nine tickets. I "traded down" to less expensive seats and then had a minor additional amount to pay, something like ten dollars.

It is a shame they were not helpful, if for no other reason than PR. From what I can see nothing...not Ferri, not Copeland, is well sold, other than center orchestra which has been "pulled" for those performances.

From what I can see nothing...not Ferri, not Copeland, is well sold, other than center orchestra which has been "pulled" for those performances.

Not enough ballets by Ratmansky, thus lackluster sales. How about the whole season completely choreographed by him?

In ye olde days, think the Kirkland, Makarova, Baryshnikov, Gregory , etc, years, ABT would have many shows almost completely sold out before the box office opened.

Ye olde days indeed...and warmly cherished by me. I don't think it has been that way lately. At least not in my experience of roughly the last 7-8 years. Not saying I always am able to get my first choice seats but more or less I've done okay. It's possible I had some good luck.

To my surprise, today at the ticket exchange box office for ABT, I was told you could only obtain as many tickets as you were exchanging. In other words, you could not purchase any tickets in addition to the number you were exchanging. Did anyone else have this problem, or did I just get a wise guy box office employee? I've been an ABT subscriber for a good 15 years, and I have never had this problem. I've always been permitted in the past to buy additional tickets beyond the number I exchanged during the priority exchange week. The end result will be that I will have to return to the box office to get rid of some tickets I was marginally interested in to get certain other dates. I won't be repurchasing the marginal interest dates at a later time. Good job ABT! Considering that the place is half empty most nights, this new policy doesn't make any sense. The box office person said that ABT was "adamant" that no additional tickets be sold to subscribers during the priority week.

I had the same experience. I could make equal exchange (which I did), but was not permitted to "add on" singles as has always been done in the past. What a disappointment. I left pretty mad, because like you it now means an additional trip down to the BO. What a pain. The BO person I had said this was an ABT decision, not the Met's and that the Met fought not to have this policy, as it means longer lines next Sunday (more chaos) and it also means that money didn't come into the BO for tickets purchased. What a dumb policy. It alienates us as subscription holders. So, I didn't put anything additional on my credit card on Sunday, but I also took another look at what I had intended to buy and decided perhaps I could do without those dates. Not a very smart move on ABT's part. Another reason to dislike their ticket policies. BOOOO!!!

In ye olde days, think the Kirkland, Makarova, Baryshnikov, Gregory , etc, years, ABT would have many shows almost completely sold out before the box office opened.

And for the ABT Kennedy Center engagements in the late 70s, early 80s, shows would routinely sell out before casting had been announced! People were so desperate to see Baryshnikov, they bought just on the hope he would be performing. And ABT visited KenCen twice a year, for 2-3 weeks in the fall and again in the spring. I doubt we will see those days again, not in our lifetimes.

I had the same experience. I could make equal exchange (which I did), but was not permitted to "add on" singles as has always been done in the past. What a disappointment. I left pretty mad, because like you it now means an additional trip down to the BO. What a pain. The BO person I had said this was an ABT decision, not the Met's and that the Met fought not to have this policy, as it means longer lines next Sunday (more chaos) and it also means that money didn't come into the BO for tickets purchased. What a dumb policy. It alienates us as subscription holders. So, I didn't put anything additional on my credit card on Sunday, but I also took another look at what I had intended to buy and decided perhaps I could do without those dates. Not a very smart move on ABT's part. Another reason to dislike their ticket policies. BOOOO!!!

I had the same experience as abatt and mimsyb. I was there before the box office opened and they made an announcement letting us know about the new policy, so I went through my list of exchange dates and prioritized them to make sure that I could exchange into the dates I thought would be most popular and the ones I wanted to see the most.

Sure enough, when I was 3/4 through my list I was told that I had reached my exchange limit. In my case it didn't have to be an even number of tickets because when I don't find a replacement ticket with a location I want I often downgrade to a cheaper ticket - so the $ amount of new tickets couldn't exceed the $ amount of tickets I was returning.

Since I had different priced tickets the dollar amount wasn't exact and the BO guy told me they'd take the $30 I had left on account as a donation to ABT. I said NO WAY. He wouldn't let me buy 1 more ticket so I could owe them money (and pay the additional, of course) so I wound up switching one of the tickets I'd downgraded back to my usual section so the money evened out. The BO guy was actually very nice, and apologized for the policy which he said was 100% ABT's.

I was grumbling and grousing to myself about having to come back again next Sunday when, like mimsyb and abatt I started wondering if I really needed to spend the extra $300 -$400 on ABT tickets. I think this stupid new policy is going to backfire on them big time.

It is very difficult to understand the logic that led them to stop subscribers from buying additional tickets and spending to their hearts' delight. Not to mention, doing it without notifying of the change in advance.

I'm looking at the Met ABT subscriber page. http://www.metopera.org/Season/Tickets/ABT-Subscription/

What does this mean?

• Exclusive subscriber benefits, including Priority Seating, Advance Access to Individual Tickets and FREE Ticket Exchange Privileges.

You all got "priority seating" (because you have tickets, even though you didn't get to pick your seat). But what do they mean by "advance access to individual tickets" and "FREE ticket exchange privileges." It sounds like they let you exchange subscriber tickets one-for-one, but denied you additional individual tickets. False advertising? Perhaps the Met box office isn't communicating with the ABT staff in charge of this?

I'm looking at the Met ABT subscriber page. http://www.metopera.org/Season/Tickets/ABT-Subscription/

What does this mean?

• Exclusive subscriber benefits, including Priority Seating, Advance Access to Individual Tickets and FREE Ticket Exchange Privileges.

You all got "priority seating" (because you have tickets, even though you didn't get to pick your seat). But what do they mean by "advance access to individual tickets" and "FREE ticket exchange privileges." It sounds like they let you exchange subscriber tickets one-for-one, but denied you additional individual tickets. False advertising? Perhaps the Met box office isn't communicating with the ABT staff in charge of this?

Has anyone contacted ABT to ask why one of the major subscriber perks seems to have been rescinded without warning?

"Advance Access to Individual Tickets" has not been rescinded, that refers to the ability to order single tickets when you order your subscription and have the order filled before single tickets go on sale to the general public ( but after subscription and Trio sales have closed).

Thats still a nice perk but you can't choose your exact seats as you can at the box office and, as I was told on the phone last week when I called in panic because I hadn't received the single tickets I'd ordered and subscriber exchange week was about to begin, single tickets are not exchangeable, only subscription tickets can be exchanged. They're really clamping down this year and it makes no sense for them to alienate their subscriber base.