This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

Puzzling information about ticket sales for the Met season: The Met Opera site for ABT says subscribers get:

• Advance Access to Individual Tickets

This is the page you get when you click "subscribe" from the calendar on the ABT site.

http://www.metopera.org/Season/Tickets/ABT-Subscription/

I don't recall a perk like that in previous years and sent an e-mail to the ABT contact listing to ask if those advance individual tickets would be available on-line or only in person at the box office. The reply: individual tickets go on sale March 20. But I thought that was the date for individual tickets sold to the general public and would be both on-line and at the box office. So I tried again -- no answer yet -- if you buy a subscription, do you get on-line access prior to March 20 to additional individual tickets and can you buy those individual tickets on-line?

This perk is not so uncommon with other American dance companies. It would be very nice if ABT would add it and I might even get a Trio package to qualify.

Has anybody else figured this out?

I ordered a trio/create your own series online just a few days ago, and was given the option to order additional single performances at that time. The offer/link does not come up until you have completed your trio/create your own series order. This is the same option I've had in the past.

Thanks for all this helpful information, but it does sound like there's no way to pick out your own seat on-line with these early orders. Think of all the theaters that offer that for Friends and/or Subscribers -- Kennedy Center, Royal Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, Colorado -- I'm sure there are more. So it's technically possible. There are about three areas of the Met that I like to sit in, but it really depends on precisely which seats are open.

Thanks for all this helpful information, but it does sound like there's no way to pick out your own seat on-line with these early orders. Think of all the theaters that offer that for Friends and/or Subscribers -- Kennedy Center, Royal Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, Colorado -- I'm sure there are more. So it's technically possible. There are about three areas of the Met that I like to sit in, but it really depends on precisely which seats are open.

I agree, and I told that to the ABT telemarketers when they tried to convince me to subscribe. I am very very picky about what seat I sit in, so I like to see what is available and pick online. NYCB allows this with their choose your own subscriptions, so I don't understand why ABT can't do the same. I suppose I could call to get my seats, and I may end up doing that, but I'm not a phone person. I much prefer online.

I agree, and I told that to the ABT telemarketers when they tried to convince me to subscribe. I am very very picky about what seat I sit in, so I like to see what is available and pick online. NYCB allows this with their choose your own subscriptions, so I don't understand why ABT can't do the same. I suppose I could call to get my seats, and I may end up doing that, but I'm not a phone person. I much prefer online.

I agree Kaysta, especially with bad eyes I need to pick my own to be sure I can see :) I might be wrong at this, but I am guessing the ease of seat choices is part of a permanent arrangement with the State Theatre? Due to the fact that NYCB has them as a permanent home vs the ABT considered more of a touring company renting space from the Met?

The other entities that allow people to pick their own seats are doing so after they have seated all of their subscribers. ABT is still seating subscribers, including trio subscribers.

Sure, but they only need to open up choose-your-own seats a week or so before the general public. That would be plenty. For other companies, you log in as a friend and/or subscriber (depending on the theater) and can pick your own additional seats. ABT can set a cut-off on their subscriber continuation seats 2-3 weeks before. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Sure, but they only need to open up choose-your-own seats a week or so before the general public. That would be plenty. For other companies, you log in as a friend and/or subscriber (depending on the theater) and can pick your own additional seats. ABT can set a cut-off on their subscriber continuation seats 2-3 weeks before. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Exactly. I don't mind waiting for them seat the traditional subscribers first. But as someone who sees at least 10 performances, I should have the option to subscribe and pick my own seat before tickets go on sale to the public and before dynamic pricing starts.

I received my subscription tickets but not the individuals I ordered nor was I billed

for them yet. I called and she confirmed they would by forthcoming after the

trio subscriptions are processed. Which doesn't make much sense as it is ongoing.

There's no "buy by a certain date." She assured me I would have them before

March 13th. That's the first date we can exchange subscription tickets. But I

don't think you can exchange the individuals if you don't like your seat.

ABT's approach to subscriptions and friends is so unappealing and outdated, compared to almost every other company I can think of, that I wonder how much of this is dictated by the Met box office. I'm sure many here remember the fiasco when the Bolshoi visited Lincoln Center in 2014. If you bought a three-program package, you could buy early additional tickets -- supposedly -- but only if you got the right telephone operator or box office staff. Wildly inconsistent treatment for many of us here. I'm hoping that ABT's new ED will take a serious look at the whole situation.

The NYCB subscription setup is also a problem. NYCB is the only organization I know of where subscribers do not get a priority purchase or exchange week. It is also the only organization I know of that sends out the subcriber tickets AFTER the box office has opened to the general public.

The "pick your own subscription" package is weird. Certain dates seem blocked off (particularly weekends). They still want you to buy specific day-of-the-week subscriptions. This is like dinosaur-era policy.

I do so agree canbelto! Things have never changed with these issues as far as I can remember and I wish they would, personally my issue with their exchange policy and have had so much trouble in the past that I have purchased the week of and taken chances. I am wondering if this is a Met issue with ABT or if this is something decided by the company. It is a good thing I don't live far and can get down to the theater to get the seats I wanted, and in my age and issues with walking I can't help but think of those who are like me and have to venture far or they can't get the shows or dancers they want to see, for the sake of technicality! In this fast pace and digital age, there has to be a better way!

Also Lendorf's performances in Sylvia and Le Corsaire are now listed as TBA, and his Filles have been reassigned to Cirio, but ABT is still counting on his return by mid-June in Swan Lake.

The Lane/Cornejo Sleeping Beauty on July 1 is also gone, but I wonder whether that isn't a mistake. Having Seo dance Aurora two nights in a row would be asking a lot.

Copeland is still without a Romeo.

Yikes, this season is becoming less interesting by the second. No Hallberg. No Lendorf. Wishful thinking that Lendorf will be well enough to perform in June isn't enough for me to book a ticket. What's the status of Part? Is she still listed for one Lilac in Detroit, or did they remove her? I'm not buying any of her shows until there is confirmation that she has returned from injury.

I hope Hallberg returns to ballet at some point, even if it's not at ABT. What a shame.

The ABT calendar has not been updated yet.

Pretty disappointing and confusing. I'm not surprised Hallberg still isn't scheduled, but there are still a few TBA's, though I'm not holding out hope. His social media sites are still quiet; no postings in months. I hope I'll get to see him dance again.

It doesn't make sense why the Lane/Cornejo SB would be removed, if Cornejo is still scheduled to dance earlier in the season. I hope that's an error on the site, and I'd sure hate to see Lane lose her Aurora. I'm surprised Gorak wasn't given a few of those recently staffed TBA's. Also, he did R&J w/ Copeland last year so I wonder why he isn't paired with her again this year (or at least with another ballerina, say with Boylston instead of Whiteside).

His social media sites are still quiet; no postings in months. I hope I'll get to see him dance again.

So funny you should mention this as I was just thinking the same after looking at the casting, it is strangely quiet with no news anywhere about him, I had wondered if he has chosen to return to Russia?

Lane/Cornejo are still listed on the ABT site, but they're gone on the MET site (which tends to show casting updates before the ABT site). That really sucks. I'm guessing Cornejo has other commitments in July and cancelled the last week of performances (ala Gomes last season with Cinderella).

It's a shame they couldn't find another partner for Lane. I don't see how Copeland was allowed to dance Swan Lake with Whiteside (a guy who is a foot taller than her) but they won't let Lane dance with anyone not named Cornejo, Simkin, or Gorak.

ETA: before some people jump on me for using Copeland as an example, I didn't use it as a personal attack on her. I did it because both Copeland and Lane are of similar height (maybe Copeland an inch or half an inch taller) so I don't see why they couldn't have the same partners (both short AND tall). Yeah. I know it looks awkward when you partner is that much taller than you. But if I were a dancer I'll take awkwardness any day if it means I get one chance at a leading role on a big stage this year.

Lane/Cornejo are still listed on the ABT site, but they're gone on the MET site (which tends to show casting updates before the ABT site). That really sucks. I'm guessing Cornejo has other commitments in July and cancelled the last week of performances (ala Gomes last season with Cinderella).

It's a shame they couldn't find another partner for Lane. I don't see how Copeland was allowed to dance Swan Lake with Whiteside (a guy who is a foot taller than her) but they won't let Lane dance with anyone not named Cornejo, Simkin, or Gorak.

ETA: before some people jump on me for using Copeland as an example, I didn't use it as a personal attack on her. I did it because both Copeland and Lane are of similar height (maybe Copeland an inch or half an inch taller) so I don't see why they couldn't have the same partners (both short AND tall). Yeah. I know it looks awkward when you partner is that much taller than you. But if I were a dancer I'll take awkwardness any day if it means I get one chance at a leading role on a big stage this year.

It's not always about height and matching the sizes of dancers.

So disappointed that the New York Lane/Cornejo performance of Sleeping Beauty has been cancelled; I was really looking forward to it. But at least there are other opportunities to see Lane in supporting roles in other ballets this season. And yes, it’s true: the Hee Seo Ballet Machine is back! Looks like she’ll be doing THREE Auroras in a row this year, with three different princes! (Whiteside, Gorak, Hammoudi) It’s getting to be a sad joke at this point, no matter what the season brings us via the usual ABT drama over scheduling conflicts, injuries, etc., Hee Seo will be called on to crank out yet another bland performance to fill the void. Do they think people are going to rush to buy tickets to see her? Whatever charm her dancing may once have had has been lost by this endless overkill. There's so much of her, it's made her nothing special. Possibly some folks may be placing bets as to how many performances it will take until she collapses onstage in a heap of exhaustion.

For now Seo is scheduled for two Auroras opposite Hammoudi. She hasn't yet been assigned a partner for the final performance. At least she's due to get one day off between her first and second performances, but asking her to do three Auroras over four days at the tail end of the season is asking an awful lot.

These are the differences in casting between the ABT and Met sites. Six Seven TBAs have been filled, four new TBAs have appeared, three two previous TBAs remain unfilled, and apparently one cast has been changed entirely.

May 11m (Aminta) - Lendorf → TBA

May 11e (Aminta) - TBA → Hoven
May 14e (Aminta) - Lendorf → TBA

May 24 (Colas) - Lendorf → Cirio
May 26 (Colas) - TBA → Whiteside
May 27 (Colas) - Lendorf → Cirio
May 30 (Colas) - TBA → Whiteside

June 1e (Conrad) - Lendorf → TBA
June 3 (Lankendem) - Lendorf → Cirio; (Ali) - still TBA
June 4m (Conrad) - Lendorf → TBA

June 22m (Romeo) - TBA → Whiteside
June 22e (Romeo) - TBA → Hammoudi
June 25m (Romeo) - still TBA (w/Copeland)

June 29e (Désiré) -TBA → Hammoudi
July 1 (Aurora) - Lane → Seo; (Désiré) - Cornejo → Hammoudi
July 2e (Désiré) - TBA → Hammoudi