This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

I saw Danilo Radojevic dance the Baryshnikov role, and either Baryshnikov was still dancing or it was not long after he stopped.

I loved him.

Yes, well, I loved him in everything I saw (which wasn't a lot -- I didn't live in the area at the time, but even so...)

Push Comes to Shove was revived by ABT in 1999 for a City Center season. I saw José Manuel Carreno in the Baryshnikov role, Amanda McKerrow in the Tcherkassky role and Irina Dvorovenko very effective in the Van Hamel role. It didn't look thin and it was fun. However, the shock and surprise value that it had forty years ago was gone - we have seen that "Ballet dancers go funky and silly" approach many times over the next four decades. Also the novelty of a Russian virtuoso superstar dancer doing "American" stuff was no longer present.

There are works that are "first timers" -- harbingers of a new style, or a new twist on familiar themes. Tharp has managed this at least a couple of times (absolutely Deuce Coupe, alongside Push -- I'd likely add Sinatra to that list), Robbins' Dances at a Gathering is another example for me. When these works get revived, the initial "who would have imagined" element is, of course, gone, but most of them still have fundamental strengths -- they're worth the revival.

ABT made the decision to revive Tharp's Brahms Haydn Variations for the Koch season. B-H variations is more in the nature of classical ballet than Push, and maybe they thought they needed a more classical work to balance out all of the modern dance they are presenting (Green Table, Company B). Also, BH Variations seems to provide more featured soloist roles than Push, which really has only three main roles.

I envy you that experience!

Interesting -- I don't remember that from any live or tape performances I saw.

I agree with CTballetfan -- I wish there were more Tharp being programmed in honor of her 50th anniversary. PNB is reviving her "Waiting at the Station," which she made here a couple years ago, and is a very rich work. I worry about the life of her rep, when it seems that so many people are depending on Sinatra and In the Upper Room. I love both works, but she's done so much more than that.

Love Tharp and agree more of her work for this special year as well, glad to see her celebration at Kennedy Center this November :

<http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/DQDSB>

Seminonova was scheduled to dance the premiere of the Mikhailovsky's new Corsaire (which the company will bring to NYC in the fall of 2016) but had to withdraw because she's still recovering from her injury:

http://www.mikhailovsky.ru/press/news/polina_semionova_vosstanavlivaetsya_posle_travmy/

Not certain if she will be on roster when ABT announces the 2016 spring season in October.

Via Google Translaete:

"Polina Semionova forced to shift their performance in the ballet "Le Corsaire" at a later time. That explains the reason as a dancer:

'I'm sorry, I can not dance on the premiere of "Le Corsaire" at the Mikhailovsky Theatre. We have to postpone the performance for a while, which is very unfortunate, because for me, it would also be the prime minister. Never before has the entire "Le Corsaire" I do not dance, but the famous pas de deux at the concerts. Trauma, because I had to miss part of last season, take longer to recover than I expected.

I wish all my colleagues a successful premiere and the audience - the pleasure and joy!.' "

Speaking of La Fille Mal Gardee, i know it is still far away but what would be the possible cast for spring. Gillian would definitely be cast again,possibly Misty and Isabella if Natalia Osipova will not return. I hope they ask Lesley Collier to coach the ladies. Herman, Alban and James should do well as Colas. David is too princely to dance Colas but might surprise us. Arron Scott, Daniil S and maybe, Jeffrey Cirio can do Alain. And in a master stroke of casting, KMc should try to convince M Gomes to dance Mother Simone. Marcelo did so well as Caraboose,so who knows. Any other suggestions?

The website of the Metropolitan Opera now has the performance dates (but not the casting) for ABT's spring season: http://www.metopera.org/calendar#/on-stage?year=2016&month=4

Sylvia May 9-14

ABT Gala May 16

Shostakovich Trilogy May 17, 20, 21, 23

World Premiere / 7 Sonatas / Firebird May 18, 19, 21

La Fille Mal Gardee May 24-30

Le Corsaire May 31 - June 4

The Golden Cockerel June 6-11

Swan Lake June 13-18

Romeo & Juliet June 20-25

The Sleeping Beauty June 27 - July 2

The website of the Metropolitan Opera now has the performance dates (but not the casting) for ABT's spring season: http://www.metopera.org/calendar#/on-stage?year=2016&month=4

Sylvia May 9-14

ABT Gala May 16

Shostakovich Trilogy May 17, 20, 21, 23

World Premiere / 7 Sonatas / Firebird May 18, 19, 21

La Fille Mal Gardee May 24-30

Le Corsaire May 31 - June 4

The Golden Cockerel June 6-11

Swan Lake June 13-18

Romeo & Juliet June 20-25

The Sleeping Beauty June 27 - July 2

Most of the casting is included now. Stella dances Aurora and Lise( La Fille) .Hooray but no Swan Lake? C Trenary also dances Aurora.

Thanks for the heads-up on casting. Very interesting! Vishneva doing only two performances -- R&J with Gomes. Gomes not cast at all in La Fille, Corsaire, or Golden Cockerel - seems to be dialing back, alas! No Osipova. (I vaguely remember that the Met web site jumped the gun last year on ABT's schedule and casting and ABT asked them to pull it down. I was expecting the first ABT mailing with casting in another week. Look fast before it disappears!)

The casting is gone now.... Was Semionova down for anything? Were Abrera and Part listed for the lead in "Golden Cockerel"? Who was dancing "Sylvia"? In the past Reyes (replacing Osipova), Herrera, Kent (1st season - badly), Wiles, Vishneva and Osipova (scheduled, never happened) danced it. Evidently Vishneva is no longer doing it and Osipova isn't currently down to guest. So that leaves us with Murphy and Part. I suspect Boylston will add it to her ABT rep and thanks to Kevin so will Hee Seo who is miscast and so will Kochetkova who will dance it with Cornejo as Aminta. Well we'll find out soon - and it will change a lot before next May... Also what is Sarah Lane dancing? Is she repeating Aurora or adding Lise in "Fille"?

Thank you California. Oddly the casting shows up on my iPhone but not on my desktop PC. Abrera and Part do have the Queen of Shemakhan role in The Golden Cockerel. Semioniova is back which helps. Casting looks way more balanced though Abrera could do more and Seo less.

Nice casting here and there but nothing thrilling as far as I'm concerned. More of my money will be going to NYCB. I work at a preschool and when the teachers give out things that are different colors or flavors they say to the kids "You get what you get and you don't get upset." That's what I feel about NYCB casting for the most part even though I have my preferences. ABT is a different thing.