This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Romeo and Juliet (ROH 2015) in Cinemas

I received the info in email from medici.tv. The event is to celebrate the 50-anniversary of Kenneth MacMillan's choreographying of R&J. The show date is on Tuesday 22 September, 2015. I have no detailed info about casting and etc.

flowers.gif

The performance was to have starred Sarah Lamb as Juliet and Rupert Pennefather as Romeo, but since Pennefather announced his departure from the company a couple of days ago, his spot is unfilled for the moment.

http://www.roh.org.uk/showings/romeo-and-juliet-live-2015

At the moment I'm not even certain the ballet will be shown in the United States. No Royal Ballet broadcasts have been scheduled by Fathom Events as of yet, but San Francisco Ballet's performance of Helgi Tomasson's R&J will be shown on September 24.

In Canada the Royal Ballet's performance will be shown on Sunday, September 27.

http://www.cineplex.com/Events/DanceSeries

At the moment I'm not even certain the ballet will be shown in the United States. No Royal Ballet broadcasts have been scheduled by Fathom Events as of yet, but San Francisco Ballet's performance of Helgi Tomasson's R&J will be shown on September 24.

It seems we've traded the Royal Ballet for the Lincoln Center series.

I want them all!

Alas, it's a use-it-or-lose-it proposition, which is why it's so important to attend, even if you don't love the MacMillan bodice-rippers, much less the Grigorovich stomp-fests. (Well, okay, I have to admit, I draw the line at Grigorovich ballets.) There's always hope the Royal Ballet may yet be back. It was absent from Canada's largest movie chain last season, but is returning as of September.

Although I am disspointed over the absence of the Royal Ballet at Fathom Events but I am not crying buckets. Last year they programmed too much of Osipova whose dancing I never enjoyed. But I nevertheless supported them by diligently attending every broadcast. Sadly, the attendance of RB performances was very poor in contrast to the Bolshoi that always drew a substantial crowd. The reason for this could've been a less convenient screening time (Wednesday nights as opposed to Sunday matinees) but also a lack of interest. The very few people turning up for the Royals were die-hard ballet fans while the Bolshoi audiences were more diverse. Additional factor playing in favor of Boshoi was the possibility of buying a series package at 30% discount that was not offered for RB. Apparently, the Bolshoi did very well as this season the screening in the Bay Area has expanded from two theaters to seven.

One way or another, I think the Royal Opera House will aim to bring its productions to American cinemas, perhaps through a smaller network of cinemas. Fathom Events hasn't scheduled any dance screenings beyond January, so the situation may yet change in spring. Regardless, it's important to attend the screenings, or come February American audiences may find themselves without any ballet at the multiplex.

The ROH cinema page currently includes this note:

Please note: we are awaiting confirmation for screenings in France, the USA and many other countries. Details will be added to the website as soon as we have them.

http://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas

The ROH's previous French distributor opted to go with La Scala and other Italian opera houses this season, so the U.S. isn't the only country where there's a scramble to find alternate cinemas. But the ROH is still trying, and there may yet be hope of Americans seeing this Romeo and Juliet eventually.

The ROH web site is now showing some dates for the U.S., some on September 22, many on October 18, and others as late as November. Use the "screening search" box to find them.

Canadian locations haven't yet been entered into the ROH database for some reason, but screenings there will take place on Sunday, September 27.

The ROH web site is now showing some dates for the U.S., some on September 22, many on October 18, and others as late as November. Use the "screening search" box to find them.

Canadian locations haven't yet been entered into the ROH database for some reason, but screenings there will take place on Sunday, September 27.

ROH seems to conveniently forget Canada exists unless they need someone to co-fund a Wheeldon ballet...

They're probably not alone in that. :dry: But if some Canadian watched the Romeo and Juliet rehearsal stream, followed David Pickering's exhortation to visit the ROH site to look for a nearby screening, found nothing and then, unsurprisingly, didn't venture out to the multiplex, whose fault would that be? (Eh, smarty-pants ROH webmasters?)

exactly.

Likewise, on the ROH website, someone asked back in the spring when they could see Winter's Tale in North America and the webmaster response was "We;re coming to the US in June but unfortunately not bringing Winter's Tale". Would it have killed htem to mention that NBOC (WHO PAID FOR HALF OF IT!!) would be performing it in Toronto and Washington?

I took a group which included some members of the board of NBOC on a backstage tour at the ROH and the tour guide said "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a coproduction with some American company... ABT I think. Or maybe Houston." GASP!!

Katherine you don't seem to appreciate that it is the Royal OPERA House that you are talking about.Opera is the key word in the name of the organisation and in everything that goes on there.The ballet company plays second fiddle to the opera in most things. A couple of seasons ago we were to have a production of the Sicilian Vespers that was to include all the ballet music.A great deal was made of the fact that all the ballet music was to be performed, the choreography was to be by Kobborg and the dancers were to be drawn from both the Royal Ballet Company and the Royal Danish Ballet. The opera's director decided that he did not want all the music and that he wanted someone else to choreograph what was left and that was it as far as the punters were concerned.We got less information and grovelling from the ROH than we would have done if it had been a singer being replaced.The average opera goer sees the ballet as an entertainment rather than a serious art form,suitable for entertaining the grandchildren but nothing more..

The ROH website is a joke and a bad one at that. Dancer's names are retained on the site for performances everyone knows that they will not be dancing.As far as the front of house staff are concerned they are,for the main part, quite pleasant but dim. I imagine that the tour guides are drawn from the same pool of talent.I am not at all surprised that your guide was vague about coproductions, financing and such things. I am quite impressed that he or she was aware of the ballets that were being performed. After all I know that the powers that be no longer bother to put details of the week's performances up where they can be seen by passers by and that if you ask anyone at the desks in the box office who is dancing that night the best you can hope for is "the Royal Ballet".

As far as the lack of information about performances being shown in Canadian cinemas is concerned you could always try letting Mr O'Hare know about your concerns. It is only a suggestion, but he did say when he was appointed that he was interested in suggestions for repertory perhaps he would be equally interested in knowing that his company is not reaching as far as he thought it was.As for failing to acknowledge the involvement of NBC he might even be mortified by the contents of the script that the guide was delivering.

In the U.S, the Royal Ballet's Romeo and Juliet will be screened at about 100 cinemas. It's a last-minute rollout, so while some cinemas will have a same-day screening on Tuesday, September 22, other screenings will take place in October and November. Please don't take the list below as gospel. I may have made mistakes, and the information on the Royal Opera House web site may not be entirely complete or accurate. But consult their map by using the "screening search" box and check local listings, bearing in mind that tickets for screenings in October and November may not be on sale yet. In some cities there will be screenings in different cinemas on different dates. If you live near the Canadian border, screenings in places like Windsor and Niagara Falls will take place on Sunday, September 27.

Tuesday, September 22

AK: Anchorage
AZ: Oro Valley, Tucson
CA: Huntington Beach, Lancaster, Monterey, Orange, Pleasant Hill, Rancho Mirage, Redwood City, Roseville, San Rafael, Ventura, Walnut Creek
CO: Colorado Springs
FL: Boca Raton, Boynton Beach, Fort Lauderdale
IL: Evanston
IN: Valparaiso
MT: Kalispell
NV: Las Vegas, Reno
NM: Albuquerque
OR: Beaverton, Medford, Springfield
SC: Bluffton
TX: Corpus Christi, Harlingen
UT: Salt Lake City
VA: Fairfax

Sunday, October 18

CA: San Francisco
CO: Boulder
CT: Fairfield
FL: Coral Springs, Delray Beach, Venice
GA: Atlanta
IL: Highland Park
IN: Indianapolis
MD: Baltimore, Bethesda
MA: Cambridge, Chestnut Hill, North Attleboro, Woburn, Worcester
MI: Royal Oak
MO: St. Louis
NJ: Bayonne, Egg Harbor Township, Princeton
NY: Elmsford, New York City
NC: Cary, Winston-Salem
PA: Ambler, Gettysburg, Lansdale, Philadelphia, York
RI: Providence
SC: Murrells Inlet
TX: Houston
VA: Blacksburg
WA: Seattle
WI: Milwaukee

Wednesday, October 21

CA: Carlsbad, Laguna Niguel, Palm Desert, Pico Rivera, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Diego, Vista, Westlake Village
CO: Boulder
FL: Coconut Grove, Davenport, Deerfield Beach, Jupiter
NC: Durham
OR: Florence

Saturday, October 24: Florence, OR
Sunday, October 25: Bellingham, WA
Wednesday, October 28: New York, NY, Bellingham, WA
Saturday, November 7: Berkeley, CA

Sunday, November 15

AZ: Scottsdale
CA: Glendale, Los Angeles, Pasadena
FL: Boca Raton
IL: Bolingbrook, South Barrington
MD: Bethesda
TX: Austin, Fairview
WA: Redmond

exactly.

Likewise, on the ROH website, someone asked back in the spring when they could see Winter's Tale in North America and the webmaster response was "We;re coming to the US in June but unfortunately not bringing Winter's Tale". Would it have killed htem to mention that NBOC (WHO PAID FOR HALF OF IT!!) would be performing it in Toronto and Washington?

I took a group which included some members of the board of NBOC on a backstage tour at the ROH and the tour guide said "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a coproduction with some American company... ABT I think. Or maybe Houston." GASP!!

Well, that's a big gaffe!

OK...I'll come out of hiding, but only for this. I'm an ambassador for the Arts Alliance and have complete listings of the North American season of all Royal Opera House cinema activities. This includes both the Royal Ballet and Royal Opera. I'm happy to help assist anybody as best I can. And dont ask me to discuss anything else on these boards ;-)

The Royal Ballet is offering its Romeo and Juliet digital program free of charge with the promo code FREEROM. (Above the green "add to basket" button you'll see a small red link that asks "Do you have a promo code?" Clicking on it will display the box for entering the code.) You will need to set up an ROH account if you haven't got one already. http://www.roh.org.uk/publications/romeo-and-juliet-digital-programme

According to the program, the cast list for the cinemacast looks like this:

Juliet Sarah Lamb

Romeo Steven McRae

Mercutio Alexander Campbell

Tybalt Gary Avis

Benvolio Tristan Dyer

Paris Ryoichi Hirano

Lord Capulet Christopher Saunders

Lady Capulet Elizabeth McGorian

Escalus (Prince of Verona) Bennet Gartside

Rosaline Lara Turk

Nurse Genesia Rosato

Friar Laurence Alastair Marriott

Lord Montague Alastair Marriott

Lady Montague Sian Murphy

Juliet’s Friends Elizabeth Harrod, Meaghan Grace Hinkis, Fumi Kaneko, Emma Maguire, Yasmine Naghdi, Romany Pajdak

Three Harlots Itziar Mendizabal, Olivia Cowley, Helen Crawford

Mandolin Dance James Hay, Luca Acri, Kevin Emerton, Paul Kay, Fernando Montaño, Marcelino Sambé