This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hi everyone! I'm vacationing this summer in the hot Spain, in between Madrid and Barcelona. I have tried to catch any ballet performances, but the only offerings are the ever present Russian touring troupes that I see in every European country, with their less than satisfactory productions of Swan Lake. So I have passed. Instead I settled for opera, and last night, while in Barcelona, I went to see a performance of Carmen at the magnificent modernist theater "Palau de la Musica Catalana". Just the building itself deserves a full review, but the highlight for me was the dancing sections, where authentic tablao flamenco bailaores did the honors. I'm usually not a fan of tablao-(kind of harsh for my taste)-but with the Bizetian French perfume, it was very nice to see. Anywhow...now I'm back in Madrid, and I'm planning to attend a performance of a Sarzuela, "Luisa Fernanda". Barcelona is just a LOVELY city. I'm totally sold.flowers.gif

palacio-de-la-musica.jpg

Instead I settled for opera, and last night, while in Barcelona, I went to see a performance of Carmen at the magnificent modernist theater "Palau de la Musica Catalana". Just the building itself deserves a full review....

palacio-de-la-musica.jpg

Ok, you asked for it. smile.png

"In 1997, the Palau de la Música Catalana was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with Hospital de Sant Pau. Today, more than half a million people a year attend musical performances in the Palau that range from symphonic and chamber music to jazz and Cançó (Catalan song).

Design[edit]

"The design of the Palau is typical of Catalan modernism in that curves predominate over straight lines, dynamic shapes are preferred over static forms, and rich decoration that emphasizes floral and other organic motifs is used extensively. In contrast to many other buildings built in the modernisme style, however, it must also be said that the design of the Palau is eminently rational. It pays strict attention to function and makes full use of the most up-to-date materials and technologies available at the beginning of the 20th century (e.g., steel framing). As Benton (1986, 58) has pointed out, "To eyes unaccustomed to the architecture of Barcelona, the impression of a riot of ornament lacking any logic or control seems overwhelming. And yet the building follows exactly the exhortations of the [architectural] rationalists. The structure, in brick and iron, is clearly expressed." Actually, its walls are the first example of curtain wall structures. [This last sentence I would want to verify].

The wealthy citizens of Barcelona, who were becoming ever more sympathetic to the Renaixença at the time the Palau was built, asked its architect for building materials and techniques that symbolized the Catalan character. In response, he commissioned and gave great creative freedom to a variety of local artisans and craftsmen to produce the fabulous ornamentation, sculpture, and decorative structural elements for which the Palau is famous."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palau_de_la_Música_Catalana

(Some other nice pictures are included.)

I'm sure you'll run into much of the fascinating architecture of Antoni Gaudi as well. Let us know what you think of it.

Have a fine vacation.

(from the Wikipedia page) " it was built between 1905 and 1908 " -- it makes some very graceful references to earlier architectural styles -- I originally thought it was a much older building when I looked at the photo.

And yes, Gaudi might make this look positively Bauhaus!

Hello everyone!! Back in hot Miami. Well, well...what a GORGEOUS country Spain is. On a curious note, I became a member of the national library of Madrid, and while paying a visit to its grand building, I searched thru its XIX century newspapers with the "Petipa" keyword. Surprise! A few results came on, one of them announcing the ballet Giselle, in which Petipa was to do his debut in the city, substituting a native dancer who apparently owned the role. The ballet was renamed "Gisela". I find very strange that such a big, beautiful, cultured European capital, who housed Petipa before St. Petersburg, doesn't has a main ballet company.

Adore Barca, wonderful clubbing scene too, Did you visit nearby Sitges? Best seaside resort in Spain in my opinion. Some years ago I saw the Bolshoi in Barca, performing at the Liceu, but the summer months are usually holiday time for most big companies.

Spain is a country that just keeps giving, one day you must visit the Alhambra in Granada, not strictly Spanish but jaw droppingly lovely. Glad you had such a great time.

Mashinka, I did not have time to get down to Granada, due to a busy schedule, but I went to the lovely ancient city of Toledo, which seems to be frozen in the middle ages. It is a little jewel of a place. While in Barcelona I paid a couple of visits to the beach, mainly at La Barceloneta, which was very crowded. The food was INCREDIBLE. All that olive oil dripping from every chorizo and paella...just the way I like it!! ;-)