This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

London at Christmas

You couldn't go wrong with either production. ENB's "Nutcracker" is a recent production; it's traditional, very good and competitive with Covent Garden's production. IMO Covent Garden's production (the Royal's), is better if you want a little bit more conscientious authenticity. Of the two, the Royal Ballet follows the E.T.A. Hoffmann story more closely, and there's the resolution at the end, where Drosselmeyer's efforts release his nephew from the spell, and his nephew is restored to his Uncle. The special effects are superior at Covent Garden, as is the "magic" factor. Gary Avis' interpretation of Drosselmeyer (who is an illusionist in this production), has become something of an urban legend. The Waltz of the Snowflakes is after Ivanov's choreography, as is the pas de deux in Act 2.

If I may, if you can also squeeze in a visit to the Continent, I'd say the most authentic "Nutcracker" (other than Balanchine's at NYCB), can be found at the Berlin Staatsballett. Vladimir Medvedev and Yuri Burlaka choreographed this production in 2013. It reconstructs the original 1892 Imperial Russian Ballet costumes and designs and also includes the "after" Ivanov pas de deux. There are strong and (stronger) cast lists at Covent Garden. I'd suggest you choose a cast with Stephen McRae as the Prince, and of the ladies - Sarah Lamb, Marianela Nunez, Roberta Marquez, Iana Selenko or Yuhue Choe as the Sugar Plum Fairy. As for pantomimes, I'm sure there should be some to choose from during the Holidays. You'll have to research the theatre ads smile.png.

Thank you so much! The main purpose for London at this time is to see Kenneth Branaghs new theater company in The Winters Tale (with Judi Dench!) and Harlequinade. So we will fit in a Nut when we can and I know we'll love whatever we see. But I'm thinking about a return to London in May to see Branaghs company in Romeo and juliet (with lily James) at which time we'll have to also see wheeldons The Winters Tale at the RB. My head is spinning in the best possible way!

If it affects your decision, the casting for the RB Nutcracker is already published on the ROH web site. The casting for the ENB version is not available yet. I suspect it might not be available for another few weeks at least. Both productions are open for booking now. The RB Nutcracker always sells very well. It's usually sold out before it opens, so if you opt for this then I wouldn't leave it too late to book. The Coliseum is bigger and doesn't sell out quite so quickly.

You won't find panto on at central London theatres. It tends to be on the outskirts. The Hackney Empire productions are supposed to be very lively. The blurb for this years production promises "outlandish costumes, bonkers baddies, glittering goodies and full-on dance routines. Join us for loads of silliness, irresistible live music, eye-wateringly funny gags, and stacks of chances to boo, hiss and cheer."

You could also look at what's on in Richmond or Wimbledon. Timings for panto tend to be early afternoon or early evening (often two shows a day). It would certainly be a very British experience.

Thank you so much! The main purpose for London at this time is to see Kenneth Branaghs new theater company in The Winters Tale (with Judi Dench!) and Harlequinade. So we will fit in a Nut when we can and I know we'll love whatever we see. But I'm thinking about a return to London in May to see Branaghs company in Romeo and juliet (with lily James) at which time we'll have to also see wheeldons The Winters Tale at the RB. My head is spinning in the best possible way!

If you're in the UK at the end of May, it might also be worth a sidetrip to Edinburgh to see David Dawson's new Swan Lake for Scottish Ballet. I saw his Giselle in Dresden and loved it. It will not be a traditional Swan Lake.

If you're in the UK at the end of May, it might also be worth a sidetrip to Edinburgh to see David Dawson's new Swan Lake for Scottish Ballet. I saw his Giselle in Dresden and loved it. It will not be a traditional Swan Lake.

I'm really curious about this as well.

Other option would be national ballet of Canada at Kennedy center for the wheeldon. Katherine?

Rethinking panto. I always want to see the local entertainment but with only a few days in London might stick to traditional theater.

Oh, don't rethink -- go see the panto.

Other option would be national ballet of Canada at Kennedy center for the wheeldon. Katherine?

Hi rkoretzky, did you mean me? Yes, the NBOC is at KC in January with Winter's Tale. Or you could come to Toronto to see it in November (I have no idea where you live).

Yes Katherine, knowing you're Canadian and have probably seen both companies in the Wheeldon, I was asking for a recommendation. I live in Saratoga springs (we missed your group this year!). Toronto is doable but even colder than here. Of course DC in January isn't summery either.

Yes Katherine, knowing you're Canadian and have probably seen both companies in the Wheeldon, I was asking for a recommendation. I live in Saratoga springs (we missed your group this year!). Toronto is doable but even colder than here. Of course DC in January isn't summery either.

Actually I doubt Toronto is any colder than Saratoga in November. For travelling, I think you're much less likely to run into problems (ie delays because of snow) in mid November going to Toronto than January going to DC.

If you like Ratmansky you could come for the tail end of the Winter's Tale run on Sun 22 November and stay for the opening of R&J on Wed. 25. (Having said that, total disclosure, I am not a big fan of Ratmansky's R&J).

I think our company will do a very good job of Winter's Tale (it;s their first time doing this ballet, but Christopher Wheeldon has often said how much he admires how the NBOC performs his work). And the tix for you (plus hotels, meals) will be a huge bargain compared to the Royal Opera House at the current exchange rate (Cdn$ is worth less than 80 cents US and not likely to increase). For that matter, everything will be a bargain compared to Washington DC as well.

Unfortunately they don't announce casting till a couple of weeks before, but if you wanted to wait till then you would still be likely to get a good ticket.

PLUS.. if you come to Toronto you and I could get together for tea or something. How could you resist THAT??

For that matter, everything will be a bargain compared to Washington DC as well.

Although I think no one would dispute that Toronto's museums can't hold a candle to the ones in DC, which generally have free admission to boot. They make trips to Washington worthwhile in and of themselves. The free admission to London's biggest museums is also one of the city's saving graces, from a tourist wallet's point of view.

The main purpose for London at this time is to see Kenneth Branaghs new theater company in The Winters Tale (with Judi Dench!)

:off topic: In case anyone was tantalized by rkoretzky's plans to see this production of The Winter's Tale, it will be coming to American cinemas on Monday, November 30, and Thursday, November 26 in Canada.

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/the-winters-tale

http://www.cineplex.com/Movie/the-winters-tale-branagh-theatre-live