This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Erik Bruhn Speaks .... Some '40 Years On'

Many years ago we were all much younger.

On this occasion I was just past my 19th birthday. (I will be 60 tomorrow).

During this period - when I was beginning to pursue my graduate studies in Canada (having just escaped from England) - I did many interviews. The first was one of the last interviews Hitchcock ever gave. Amongst my most cherished memories was a session with the balletic legend that was ERIK BRUHN.

Recently I was clearing out my flat (an ever endless activity) and I found this tape at the bottom of a box.

I thought a few here might be interested.

I will remove this link shortly from our published web space as it takes up far, FAR too much acreage.

http://www.lswproductions.co.uk/B.mp3

Thanks so much for posting this. I don't know if the problem is on my end or yours, but when i tried to listen to this, I got about 30 seconds into it, and it stopped, and a notice popped up saying "plug-in failure". Not a notice I've seen before, so not even sure what it refers to. Would love to listen to the whole thing, Erik Bruhn being one of my favorite male dancers.

I believe that people heard Bruhn make a few remarks at the Joyce Theatre earlier this year about a planned Bournonville festival in Copenhagen. I can't find anything more about this via Google. Do we know the year? dates? certainty?

(trying to avoid the zombie reference here) -- you must be thinking of someone else, or misunderstood the date of the reference. Bruhn died in 1986.

MF, please, do think about donating this interview to the Performing Arts collection at Lincoln Center, or some other dance archive. It's a wonderful view of the artists at that point in his life.

And what a treat to hear that voice again.

Happy Birthday!

Meunier fan, that was fascinating, thank you for posting it! I was especially drawn to his comments about ending a dance career. It makes me want to learn more about him. I see a book called "Erik Bruhn: Danseur Noble" by John Gruen from 1979 on Amazon. Would you (or anyone else) recommend it? And also, belated birthday wishes!

(trying to avoid the zombie reference here) -- you must be thinking of someone else, or misunderstood the date of the reference. Bruhn died in 1986.

My bad - so sorry! Some Royal Danish dancers were at the Joyce last winter. Apparently somebody -- their current director? - answered questions afterwards and referenced the Bournonville festival planned for....2017? 2018? Anybody present at that program who remembers?

I can understand mixing Bruhn & Hubbe up. It is perhaps the lovely Danish accent, the blonde hair, and the international superstar standing...

(Of course, now I am assuming it was Nicholaj Hubbe, the Royal Danish's current artistic director that you heard). I wish I had been present!

I can understand mixing Bruhn & Hubbe up. It is perhaps the lovely Danish accent, the blonde hair, and the international superstar standing...

(Of course, now I am assuming it was Nicholaj Hubbe, the Royal Danish's current artistic director that you heard). I wish I had been present!

I wasn't present either. Somebody on this board mentioned this Q&A session and the future festival, and I can't seem to find it back.