This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Finally, I wrote my Kirov report.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 TATSU

TATSU

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 December 2000 - 08:52 PM

Undoubtedly Lopatkina got the highest praise, and Zelensky got the second. Indeed, Lopatkina was a sensation. Even though I wasn't impressed enough, I could understand why the audience got wildly excited.

And I want to mention Diana Vishneva as Princess Aurora in 12/6. She was really breathtaking. She dominated the theater with her brilliant presence. Her superb technique, beautiful posture, and perfect musicality astonished the audience. Korsakov danced the variation from Blue Bird PDD very well and got great applause, but I thought he should polish up his partnering technique much more.

XinXin wrote:
The pity is we could not see Jewels this time, I don't know why they did not do this wonderful piece in Japan.

I think the promoter of the Japan tour doubted the popularity of the piece, because still the Japanese audience love the Putipa's classical narrative full-length ballets, such as Swan Lake, Nutcracker, and Sleeping Beauty. Most of them are less interested in modern plotless ballets like Balanchine. Indeed, there were a lot of vacant seats in Balanchine Gala. Though I eagerly want to see it!

Kevin, have you mailed to me about your question? I'm afraid I don't get it for some reason...

#17 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 December 2000 - 11:17 PM

Tatsu, I am glad that you enjoyed so much Diana Vishneva's Aurora. In London, I admired her Aurora as well as Zhanna Ayupova's the most out of the various casts. I am not surprised that the Balanchine gala didn't sell out in Tokyo, I doubt if it will be that popular in China and Hong Kong either.

[This message has been edited by Kevin Ng (edited December 19, 2000).]

#18 Hu Xinxin

Hu Xinxin

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 December 2000 - 11:43 PM

Kevin,
I am sorry to say this, but I think people in Shanghai are quite snobbish. They go to the theater to show their dresses and social status than enjoy performances. Placido Domingo will give a concert (not recital) at the Shanghai Grand Theater on Jan. 5. Do you know how much a single ticket costs? The most expensive one is 3000 RMB, much higher than China's average monthly income, but I heard all tickets had been sold out in a few days. (When I saw Kirov Swan Lake there, the most expensive ticket was 500RMB).
It is reported that the arts agency in Shanghai had paid more than $400000 for Domingo's concert. If they paid this much to Kirov, I think Kirov would do an excellent Sleeping Beauty for us and then would be able to feed thousands of its employees at least for one month.

Cindy has reported on our Chinese ballet board that when ABT performed La Bayadere in Shanghai, the reaction of the audience had been rather cold. But there was an exception: in the matinee performance on the last day, ABT got great BRAVI and applauds there. Do you know the reason? Dancers of National Ballet of China went to see that show. They were NOT Shanghainese at all.

As for Kirov dancers in Japan. I think Farukh Ruzimatov still remains super star there. And Igor Zelensky has gained great popularity through his frequent appearances in recent years with Kirov, RB and his own pick up group.

Among the young female dancers, Diana Vishneva and Svetlana Zakhorova have earned a lot of fans in Japan. But Loptkina had not been as well-known as her colleagues had, because she had not danced a lot there.

I think the Japanese people like to follow so-called super stars. That's why some excellent young dancers like Igor Kolb and Pavlenko can not earn much popularity there.

#19 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 19 December 2000 - 07:30 PM

TATSU, I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Vishneva's Aurora.It was a blessing and honor to have seen her performances in that role in London, this past summer. They were even better than the one in New York in '99. Simply the finest Aurora I've seen, although Jennifer Ringer (NYCB) conveys much of the same charm & 'perfume.'

#20 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 December 2000 - 10:04 PM

After the long Japanese tour this winter, the Kirov will tour Europe next March - Baden Baden, and Amsterdam.

Xinxin, I am impressed that the dancers of National Ballet of China flew a long way from Beijing to Shanghai specially to watch the ABT in Oct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):