This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet in Miami

My family are moving from Philadelphia to Miami in a couple of months' time, and I wanted to know about ballet companies I can go to see in Miami. Miami City Ballet is obviously the most prominent, but which other companies should I know about? (I tend to enjoy the full length narrative ballets). And I'd also be interested to learn of individual dancers people are enthusiastic about (very personal I know). I tend to enjoy a more lyrical style. Another question - what is the best way to learn about performances by out-of-state and international companies visiting Miami?

If this post belongs in a different section, my apologies, and please feel free to relocate it.

Miami City Ballet specializes in the Balanchine and NYCB style repetoire, as you probably know, and they are quite good in that rep. I love Jeannette Delgado and Patricia Delgado. Among males Kleber Rebello is my favorite with his flowing arms. Others have impressed me like Jennifer Lauren and Tricia Albertson.

Unfortunately they only do 4 programs (not counting Balanchine's Nutcracker) per year. And I hear that arts funding in Florida has been drastically cut recently, so if they depend on state funding they aren't going to add more shows in the future probably. They usually do at least one full-length (DQ or Giselle or Coppelia or Jewels or Cranko's Romeo and Juliet) per year plus Nutcracker. They are adding Midsummer Night's Dream to their repetoire this coming spring. That is their full-length offering this coming season.

There is also Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami that puts on a ballet festival every fall and then does some shows during the year specializing in the classical repetoire (sometimes full-lengths) but usually sporadic and almost spontaneous (often announced when I already have plans so can not attend). There are some schools that put on shows as well.

As for touring companies you should vist the Arsht Center's website (the performing arts center in Miami), although I am not sure much is announced yet for next season. Unfortunately, mostly modern dance troupes seem to tour there and none of the major international ballet companies seem to stop there (no Bolshoi, no Mariinsky, no Paris Opera Ballet, no Royal Ballet, etc). I believe that performing arts in Florida competes with the beach. People come to Florida mainly to go to the beach and party at night.

If you don't mind the drive, go see Sarasota Ballet! They specialize in the Ashton / Royal Ballet style (very different than Balanchine of MCB) and also do some full lengths. Also, since you're moving to Miami at a time when relations are opening up with Cuba - why not go see ballet in Cuba? A ferry service should be available soon, and flights as well.

If you don't mind the drive, go see Sarasota Ballet! They specialize in the Ashton / Royal Ballet style (very different than Balanchine of MCB) and also do some full lengths. Also, since you're moving to Miami at a time when relations are opening up with Cuba - why not go see ballet in Cuba? A ferry service should be available soon, and flights as well.

Both excellent suggestions!