This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Albert Evans, RIP

How deeply, deeply sad.

I have treasured memories of Albert onstage (especially as Puck and in the Four Temperaments). But my most indelible memory of him is an off stage one. Many seasons ago I had the privilege to go backstage at City Ballet, where I saw Albert in the wings. He had the most amazing, distinctive walk: purposeful and confident but at the same time slinky and sensual. I'm not evoking it well, but I was so struck by how much charisma and grace he radiated, even when he was off stage. He caught your attention without calling attention to himself--a star even amongst all the stars that were there that night.

Such a terrible, tragic loss.

I'm so shocked to read this right now. How tragic and so very sad. Albert Evans was one of NYCB'S most brilliant dancers; a great artist and, by all accounts, a gentle and beautiful soul. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to his family and friends and his ballet family at NYCB. Rest in Peace, Mr. Evans.

In this Balancing Pointe interview, Megan Fairchild asked Sara Mearns about her career high points, and starting at the ~12:00 mark she talks about dancing with Fairchild's husband, Andy Veyette, in the first performance after Albert Evans died. At about 15:25 she answers about low points by describing what working with Evans and his loss means to her, and Fairchild speaks about this as well.

http://balancing-pointe.com/93-ask-megan-megan-interviews-sara-mearns/