This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BOLSHOI SEASON AT DRURY LANE MAY 2001

Have just returned from matinee at Drury Lane when I saw programme with Act II Swan Lake, plus divertissements inc raymonda, Nutcracker, Giselle, don Quixote and flower festival at Genzano pas de deux.

1) very disappointing attendance, house less than 25% full. In spite of this the dancers put on a brave show and the small audience was entertained royally. However, benefit of this is if you want to go, try turning up for midweeek matinee you may be lucky

2) Anna Antonicheva and Sergei Filin lovely dancers, but special mention to Yan Godovsky as cavalier in Nutcracker, real lightness and ballon, soft landings, and his partner a delight.

3) It was a treat to see bournonville danced, why do we not see this more often? I just love the lightness and it is a superb technique to see performed.

4) where can I buy a video of LA SYPHIDE ie the story of Effie and James NOT the one with the Chopin music. Any thoughts?

regards, Nutkin :)nutkin@goldserve.net

Nutkin, the only video I know of that is available commercially is the Pierre Lacotte "La Sylphide", which is a version supposedly "after Taglioni", with music of Schneitzhoffer. The Danish Ballet's version by Bournonville is set to music of Lovenskjold. ABT and other companies have danced this version, and I wish there were other videos of this ballet available. (The ballet to Chopin is "Les Sylphides", which is a totally different work.)

I was at the matinee too, and noticed the low attendance. I think it's partly due to the planned (but cancelled at the last minute) underground strike which put off some people. But the applause was enthusiatic. I love in particular Goriacheva and Gudanov in the Flower Festival at Genzano pas de deux, and Svetlana Lunkina and Andrei Uvarov in Giselle pdd. I look forward to seeing the second programme tonight.

The house was much fuller last night for the opening night of the second programme, which was even more enjoyable than the first. "Chopiniana" was grandly danced, and Svetlana Lunkina and Andrei Uvarov were sublime in the pas de deux. In the divertissements in the second half, Lunkina made her debut in the pas de deux from "La Sylphide" with Gudanov. (Lunkina told me that she had been coached in this role by Maximova and Struchkova in Moscow). Their dancing was full of nuances.

But the highlight for me was the pas de deux from Gorsky's "La Fille Mal Gardee" which I had never seen before. Anastasia Goriacheva and Yan Gudanov danced the airy choreography with a joyful abandon that lifted the spirits. Also notable was the pas de deux from Lavrosky's "Romeo and Juliet" danced by Inna Petrova and Sergei Filin.

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]

Nutkin, I strongly recommend you to see this second programme in the coming week. I wish I could see more Bolshoi performances myself, but I have to return to Hong Kong. If I could spend one more week in London, I would definitely go a few more times to see the Bolshoi.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Kevin Ng ]