This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wish List/Predictions for the 2016 Season

Given that ABT's principal women have trended dramatic, commanding, and tall over the past decade, I can understand why Fille hasn't re-entered the rep recently: Reyes and Murphy would have been the only ones sparkly enough for Lise, I think.

But now that ABT has unexpectedly hatched a full cohort of women who are appropriate for soubrette roles (Boylston, Trenary, Brandt, Copeland), I could totally see it: probably not this year, but in 2017-2018 when the younger dancers have become a bit more visible (and his shorter men have logged some more partnering time).

Totally agree that Arron Scott should be used more.

I've seen video of Sarah Lane guesting in the role. Totally delightful. I sure don't think of Copeland as soubrette.

It'll be great if ABT can perform some selected divertissement for a few days- I'm not even asking for a week. Triple bill of Raymonda, Esmeralda, Paquita or Flames of Paris sounds great. Please don't hire any guest artists for these roles though.

Also, if they must hire guest artists, I wish to see Tereshkina and Shklyarov again in ANY role.

Promotion for Lane, Abrera, and C Royal is also on my wishlist. I'm certain that Gorak and Copeland will be promoted very soon.

ABT will be performing Firebird in their LA tour next year. I think it will probably be included in their Spring season as well.

Firebird is only one act, if I remember correctly, so this would mean a mixed bill.

I had tickets to see Misty Copeland in Firebird and due to her very bad injury saw Natalia Osipova instead. (The reverse of the recent casting switch for R&J) Osipova was other worldly.

I sat through Tempest twice at the fall season when it premiered and that's it for me for that one. But I do think it was interesting that it was a co-production with the National Ballet of Canada and they keep postponing their showing of it. Not on the schedule for 2015-16. Perhaps they came to NYC to see it!

oops, BUT...didn't care for Firebird nor the Tempest. However, the 2nd time I saw the Tempest (I think it was billed with the Dream) I liked it better. The lighting seemed to be brighter and any chance to see Sarah and Joey dance together is a plus for me.

Expecting people to weigh in on The Tempest and Firebird? Ok, I thought The Tempest was terrible, esp. the last scene on the boat. It was also a waste of Marcelo's talent on the night I saw it. BUT I saw Osipova dance Firebird and it was an electric performance. Memorable!

I encourage everyone - on their next viewing of The Tempest - to take the first line of the "synopsis" really seriously if you haven't already. I'm paraphrasing here, but it says something like "This ballet is a meditation on the themes of Shakespeare's play, The Tempest." I did not notice that the first time I saw it (and have always wondered if it was included from the beginning) and was really frustrated after that viewing because I had no idea what had been going on, but upon the 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th viewing, I enjoyed the ballet much more because I was less focused on needing to understand the narrative. Instead, I focused on each character, and what was happening in each scene. From that perspective, I felt like Ratmansky did an excellent job developing the characters in such a short amount of time.

So now, my only gripe with The Tempest (and maybe with Firebird although I remember it less well) is that there was too much going on at times or too many people crammed between really big set pieces (as with many Ratmansky works). But I was able to over look that because of the beautiful and exciting choreography for many of the characters.

And - also as with many/all Ratmansky works - the energy is always different from the dancers. You can feel their sense of pride, excitement and determination when dancing his work - it's not just another Swan Lake.

On a separate note - these two ballets would make a good mixed bill also because, I believe, that they both use the same shiny (and squeaky) black floor.

If ABT revives that Firebird, yes, fix the bloody squeaky flooring! Or change the danseur's slippers so they don't squeak. It was very distracting. As for Tempest: Nice try, Ratmansky, but off to the ballet graveyard with it! (What an unmemorable piece of music, too.)

I haven't read all the posts here to know whether this came up, but according to the 2015-2016 Dance Season Brochure for the Los Angeles Music Center, Ratmansky's Symphony No. 9 and Piano Concerto will be performed with his Firebird on July 8, 9, and 10, 2016. I've seen San Francisco Ballet and The National Ballet of Canada perform the Shostakovich ballets, so will sit through his Firebird (already saw the premiere in Orange County) just to see the other two works performed by ABT.

I haven't read all the posts here to know whether this came up, but according to the 2015-2016 Dance Season Brochure for the Los Angeles Music Center, Ratmansky's Symphony No. 9 and Piano Concerto will be performed with his Firebird on July 8, 9, and 10, 2016. I've seen San Francisco Ballet and The National Ballet of Canada perform the Shostakovich ballets, so will sit through his Firebird (already saw the premiere in Orange County) just to see the other two works performed by ABT.

Interesting. We saw Chamber Symphony in LA (on an ABT bill between Apollo and Symph in C) in 2013, so I guess we will get the rest now. I would still really like to the see On the Dnieper, if they are programming an All Ratmansky bill (dreaming on...) for the west coast.