This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wish List/Predictions for the 2016 Season

Given that it wasn't performed by the National Ballet of Canada either, I wonder if Ratmansky has simply decided to retire Chamber Symphony. (I thought it was the weak link in the trio: the other two parts were instant masterworks.)

At any rate, you're in for a treat!

Two others:

Brahms-Haydn Variations (have seen only once, the last time they did it, and remember really liking it -- loved getting to see so many principals and soloists in one piece)

Birthday Offering (have never seen)

Birthday Offering would just be perfect for the anniversary season and it has several beautiful variations to challenge the women of the company.

My pipe dream would be for the JKO School to relocate to NYC, and to really cultivate a 'house style.' ABT also needs to get its own space, and I would like to see the international principals/guest artists' performances restricted to a big, fancy fundraising gala (with the exception of Gomes, Cornejo, Part, and maybe Osipova).

More practical things: update the website and YouTube channel, provide opportunities for corps members and soloists to choreograph, hire Julie Kent as a ballet mistress, promote Arron Scott/Brandt/Royal/Trenary to soloist, promote Lane/Abrera/Copeland to principal (though I am cringing internally at the 50 pages of hand wringing and theatrics that will subsequently occur), more mixed bills!

My pipe dream would be for the JKO School to relocate to NYC, and to really cultivate a 'house style.' ABT also needs to get its own space, and I would like to see the international principals/guest artists' performances restricted to a big, fancy fundraising gala (with the exception of Gomes, Cornejo, Part, and maybe Osipova).

Isn't the School in lower Manhattan? They are opening another school tied to Segerstrom in Costa Mesa, but I didn't think that meant they would close the NYC school. And don't they have studios at 890 Broadway? It's certainly been a problem that they haven't had their own residence theater, but it's not clear how they could solve that.

Isn't the School in lower Manhattan? They are opening another school tied to Segerstrom in Costa Mesa, but I didn't think that meant they would close the NYC school. And don't they have studios at 890 Broadway? It's certainly been a problem that they haven't had their own residence theater, but it's not clear how they could solve that.

You are correct re the JKO School, California! (I take that comment back). As for the comment about ABT having its own performance space - I understand that will certainly not happen overnight, if ever. My first paragraph was primarily for pipe dreams.

JKO is located in NYC, as is the company headquarters at 890 Broadway. Anyone can take the "courses" offered by JKO to learn the "style" and then return to one's own school and teach that "style". I have no ides how much (if any) follow up is offered to these teachers who learn this. It's a good selling tool I guess for a school in "anywhere USA" to say they have trained in the JKO style. One needn't have danced with ABT to learn it , however. I wonder how a teacher with little or no knowledge of classical training can master this. Again, it's the Brand.

So you'd prefer that the company not only brought in fewer guest artists but also had fewer non-American regular principals on its roster? That'd be quite a change from decades of its tradition.

So you'd prefer that the company not only brought in fewer guest artists but also had fewer non-American regular principals on its roster? That'd be quite a change from decades of its tradition.

I would like to see more development opportunities for talented corps members and soloists. I think that many of the complaints re the artistic 'fallowness' of ABT would be ameliorated if the home team was given more opportunities. If that means limiting opportunities to established international stars who could guest at any major classical company in the world, then I'm okay with that.

Misty as Aurora and Sylvia, please!

I think Misty as Sylvia is a great idea. It's a beautiful ballet that is probably one of ABT's least selling productions. It would be great if Misty could introduce her fans to a ballet that doesn't have the same name recognition as Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet. Plus, I think the ballet would, for the most part, suit her technical strengths and temperament.

If Sylvia is programmed next year, I'll have my fingers crossed that Part will be cast in it again. She was beautiful in this role -- and especially sensuous and fun in the grotto scene. Her only issue was being too tall to crouch under the corps girls' bows in Act 1. Next time, I suspect she'll duck lower! Can you imagine a Bolle/Part Sylvia? Just the thought of that makes me swoon...

I would welcome any revival of Sylvia, and would enjoy seeing Part dance it, with or without Bolle (who is a sublime Amintas), though I must admit Gillian may own that role at ABT for the time being. Rarely have I seen her dance more brilliantly. (Come to think of it, I guess Gillian is my all-around preferred ABT ballerina; no disrespect to Veronika. I still think of Vishneva as more of a guest, rather than a homegrown talent.) No, I would not pay money to see that other one dance it, no matter how many whooping and hollering fans she attracted to the Met, good for ABT's finances as that may be.

I think Misty as Sylvia is a great idea. It's a beautiful ballet that is probably one of ABT's least selling productions. It would be great if Misty could introduce her fans to a ballet that doesn't have the same name recognition as Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet. Plus, I think the ballet would, for the most part, suit her technical strengths and temperament.

If Sylvia is programmed next year, I'll have my fingers crossed that Part will be cast in it again. She was beautiful in this role -- and especially sensuous and fun in the grotto scene. Her only issue was being too tall to crouch under the corps girls' bows in Act 1. Next time, I suspect she'll duck lower! Can you imagine a Bolle/Part Sylvia? Just the thought of that makes me swoon...

Who partnered Veronika in her last Sylvia? T Forster would be a good partner for her if Bolle /or Gomes is not available next time.

Who partnered Veronika in her last Sylvia? T Forster would be a good partner for her if Bolle /or Gomes is not available next time.

She was scheduled to dance with Cory, but a very last-minute substitution -- GOMES! -- was announced before the curtain went up. I don't wish ill on Cory, but it was a such a delight to see Part back with Gomes. Whiteside was an excellent Orion in that performance.

Golden Idol, I've not jumped on any bandwagon concerning Misty Copeland because I've never seen her in performance except for some youtube videos, nor have I gotten involved in any of the heated debates involving racism, but I do want to say that I wish you'd used Copeland's name, rather than calling her "that other one." I find that so disrespectful.

No, I would not pay money to see that other one dance it, no matter how many whooping and hollering fans she attracted to the Met, good for ABT's finances as that may be.

I'm tired of reading about her, I'm tired of hearing about her, and I have nothing more to say about her, good, bad, or indifferent, even her name. Let's move on. I regret the time I've spent writing the words I already have. There are other dancers out there, worthy of commentary, and I think from now on I'm going to focus on them. If you find my opinion and words disrespectful, so be it. Helene could have deleted my comment if she found it objectionable. Any further discussion of the topic is all yours, and on other subjects I have found your posts to be very interesting and insightful.

I'm tired of reading about her, I'm tired of hearing about her, and I have nothing more to say about her, good, bad, or indifferent, even her name. Let's move on.

My difficulty with this remark is that you were the one who brought up Copeland (albeit calling her "the other one") in a context that did not require it--you were talking about the dancers you wanted to see in Sylvia in a thread on "wish lists" for next season--and then you took a dig at her fans as well (describing them as "whooping and hollering"--another not exactly respectful phrase).

We all slip into saying and writing things in tones or terms that later we may partly regret or that others may consider disrespectful. Ballet fans can be a sharp-tongued lot. Or, on a message board, sharp-typing. But Copeland is constantly subject to this kind of dig even when the topic, as here and in your post, isn't necessarily Copeland at all. That's one of the things that is rather disturbing to me. You (and probably many others) don't want to talk about her--then by all means don't. But one can't have it both ways.

Is all this just the price of fame for Copeland? She seems to me to be paying a much higher price than other famous dancers.

My wish list for next season? I think I mentioned Ashton in my post above. I'll specify Fille in case I didn't already and with pretty much any cast. For myself personally I'm especially eager to see Lendorf in any role as I have never seen him dance live.

Yes, definitely Lendorf as Colas. Also Lendorf would be excellent as Desire - the choreography of this version would suit him very well. Basically, yes to anything Lendorf is doing.

Would also like to see what Gorak might do with Colas, and also Cornejo.