This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hamlet at the Bolshoi

I just got back from seeing the Bolshoi's new production of Hamlet (or rather new as of this March). I really enjoyed it! The score is two Shostakovich symphonies - 5 and 15, and when they work with the play, they really really work. The scene in Gertrude's bedchamber at the end of the first act is thrilling, as is a scene in which the new King Claudius wins over the court - depicted by him teaching them a twisted dance step. There were some dull moments in the second act, though, particularly with Ophelia, who was not particularly charismatic in my cast - Diana Kosyreva, a member of the corps who seems to be getting her first big shot with this work. Artem Ovcharenko was fantastic as Hamlet, though. (Which is good because it turns out that I have not one but three tickets to see him perform various roles this summer - ah, the vagaries of the Bolshoi's casting process). I hope the ballet gets to come back for a few seasons - it might be a fun one for the simulcasts.

I have a longer review on my blog, if anyone's interested: http://itinerantballetomane.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-plays-thing-hamlet-at-bolshoi.html

I just got back from seeing the Bolshoi's new production of Hamlet (or rather new as of this March). I really enjoyed it! The score is two Shostakovich symphonies - 5 and 15, and when they work with the play, they really really work. The scene in Gertrude's bedchamber at the end of the first act is thrilling, as is a scene in which the new King Claudius wins over the court - depicted by him teaching them a twisted dance step. There were some dull moments in the second act, though, particularly with Ophelia, who was not particularly charismatic in my cast - Diana Kosyreva, a member of the corps who seems to be getting her first big shot with this work. Artem Ovcharenko was fantastic as Hamlet, though. (Which is good because it turns out that I have not one but three tickets to see him perform various roles this summer - ah, the vagaries of the Bolshoi's casting process). I hope the ballet gets to come back for a few seasons - it might be a fun one for the simulcasts.

I have a longer review on my blog, if anyone's interested: http://itinerantballetomane.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-plays-thing-hamlet-at-bolshoi.html

Thank you for writing this up--I did check out your longer review and found it quite interesting, especially your discussion of the music.

I can't honestly say I'm breathless to see the ballet (as I rather am about some of the Bolshoi's other new productions), but it was interesting to read about ... I am also wondering what they plan to bring to London next year.