This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Philippine Ballet Theater

Joseph Philipps who previously danced with ABT and is now a principal of the State Primorsky Opera and Ballet Theater will be performing as a guest artist in PBT's production of Don Quixote. He was one of the most promising but under utilized corps member of ABT. I'm glad he is now based in Vladivostok and can easily be invited to dance with ballet companies around Asia.

I saw Joseph Philipps dance Basilio in Don Quixote last night. I've only seen three male guest artists so far but Joseph is the best ever! His control is unparalled. The lifts were effortless and beautiful, so were his jumps and turns! The audience gasped at the height of his jumps that landed so smoothly. He had the most beautiful pirouttes I've ever seen. There was one lift that went into fishdive in act 4 where it looked like Joseph lost control, but overall, especially his solos were stunning to watch. It was also my first time to watch a full production of Philippine Ballet Theater. Though I've seen them before in musical theater and in Pasinaya. I'm looking forward to watching more. I did not expect to like Don Quixote that much, but I did! I thought it was really fun and had some very funny moments. Sancho was a good actor and projected expressions well. Regine Magbitang was charming but I thought the fouettes were not clean. But props to her for being able to them at all! I didn't count how many she did as she traveled forward. Espada did a good job except for when he lost balance going down on one knee after a double tour. I look forward to watching more shows from PBT. Their costume department needs a lot of work though.