This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2015-2016 Dancer Promotions, Retirements, Etc.

Is SF really any worse than New York City, London, or Paris? I would imagine there's a lot of doubling and tripling up in cramped quarters in many cities!

I've yet to know of someone not complaining about SF real estate and rental prices. ;) I remember Froustey mentioning that it was much easier finding an apartment in Paris than SF.

The tech boom in the Bay Area is largely responsible for things getting out of hand. SF is really small in terms of physical space, so it's kinda inevitable that the actual city of SF becomes wholly gentrified as the local population swells.

"The population of roughly 825,000 in 2012 will have steadily increased to a milestone by 2032, when a projected 1 million people will make their home inside city limits, according to an upcoming report from the Association of Bay Area Governments. By 2040, the report speculates that the growth rate will begin to level out at 1,085,700." --The Examiner

Personally, I don't want to be around to experience a million+ people jammed into that little peninsula.

From SFB's September News to the press yesterday:

Clara Blanco Departs to Teach

Soloist Clara Blanco will leave SF Ballet to serve as both a ballet teacher and head of the classical dance department at Escuela Profesional de Danza de Castilla y León, in her hometown of Valladolid, Spain. As part of her application to the government-funded Conservatory, Blanco underwent rigorous exams and interviews, and both of her new appointments with the School are for life. Blanco trained at the Estudio de Danza María de Avila as well as the San Francisco Ballet School, before joining the Company in 2001 as a corps de ballet member. During her tenure at SF Ballet (with the exception of a year at Birmingham Royal Ballet in 2006), Blanco performed a diverse repertory that included works by George Balanchine, August Bournonville, Val Caniparoli, Michel Fokine, James Kudelka, Sir Kenneth MacMillan, Yuri Possokhov, Alexei Ratmansky, and Christopher Wheeldon, among many others.

It is sad to see her go, but it's great to hear that she has a definite career path opening up for her.

Most of us remember her as simply the best animated ballerina doll - in Act 1 of The Nutcracker. But that ability may have forced her into dancing that particular role far more than she actually wanted.

THere's a new dancer listed in the Corps De Ballet - Kristine Butler. No picture and no other information except for she's from Buffalo.

Other updates to the dancer pages:

• Clara Blanco no longer listed
  • Pics for new dancers added (Soloist Lauren Strongin, Corps members Kamryn Baldwin and Jahna Frantziskonis, and Apprentices Grace Choi, Blake Kessler, Anastasia Kubanda, Chisako Oga, and Francisco Sebastião
  • New pics for Principals Luke Ingham and Pascal Molat and Corps dancers Kimberly Braylock-Oliver (note name change) and Wan-Ting Zhao (there may be others I missed)