This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Washington Ballet

Yes, I went, and it may be blasphemous, but I will even admit that I enjoyed Saturday night's performance over the Kirov's Jewels.

I still don't care for Twyla Tharp, but the Washington Ballet at least made Brief Fling more than palatable. The dancing was very good throughout, and Erin Mahoney was especially notable as the green "modern dance girl." Sarah Kaufman was right about the costumes, though. Poor Michele Jimenez's blue bodice could not have been less flattering.

The dancers gave Dark Elegies a committed and moving performance. Amanda McKerrow of course has the most experience with Tudor and it showed in her haunted expression and simplicity of movement.

I haven't seen Paul Taylor's own company dance Esplanade, so I can't comment on the differences in movement between them and WB, but I really enjoy this work. When I see it, I feel like getting up on stage myself and running around to Bach in a pretty, candy-colored dress.

We will be going this weekend- in Philly. Front row seats (not my first choice, but the best we could do). I am really looking forward to it- much prefer innovative, thematic ballets to "Giselle" et al.This is to be followed by an audition the next day for daughter for Wash. Anyway- report/impressions to follow from the front row perspective.

Guest ballerinaDEDG

The program was wonderful. I go to see all of their programs as I am a student with the School. "Brief Fling" was fun with the bright costumes and the great music. "Dark Elegies" was very different from the other two, but just as captivating. It was very nicely danced and they all carried across the deep, dark emotion of the piece. "Esplanade" looked like so much fun to dance. It was so energetic and joyful. I saw it when they did it a couple of years ago as well. It was just as fun then as it was this time.

Espanalde(sp) was by far my favorite. It looks like so much fun. BallerinaDEDG, which calss are you in at Washington? I go there too.

Guest ballerinaDEDG

I'm afraid this is considered chatting. frown.gif However, very quickly I am in Release Time B. If this post needs deleting then that is fine. biggrin.gif

Cool, I'm in 6. But anyway, I totally agree with the Bard's Ballerina that Amanda really showed the emotion needed for the part. You could see the doom in her face. It was almost creepy. I can't wait for their next performance in April!