This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hubbard Street Dance Chicago

I left the world of ABT & NYCB for the afternoon and went to the Joyce for my first viewing of the Hubbard Street Dance Company. I was delighted. 18 dancers who all seem to be very accomplished, versatile and mature performers. I was going to say their ensemble work is extraordinary but then again their solo and partnering work is too. The Kilian piece, Falling Angels is a great opener and the Duato piece, Gnawa a good closer (I enjoyed it least of the 4 pieces). For me the eye opener was the work of Alejandro Carrudo. He uses his beautiful choreographic craft to express humor, wit and best of all humanity. He truly moved me. Then I learned that he is one of the choreographers that was chosen by Wendy Whelan for her "Restless Creature" show. I'm going next week - so excited.

Cerrudo has work in several different repertories (he made something for Pacific Northwest Ballet a couple years ago, and I remember that he'd just come from one commission and was heading out to another one). Hubbard Street has been a flexible company -- they started in a much more mainstream jazz mode, were a repository for Twyla Tharp's work for a time, and have been a conduit for several European contemporary choreographers.