This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015: The Sleeping Beauty

Anyone who's already seen the Ratmansky production:

If I'm planning to get an orchestra balance ticket (far to the side and midway back), which side would you suggest I sit on? In other words, are there any scenes for which you'd definitely want to be able to see one side or the other?

Thanks!

Anyone who's already seen the Ratmansky production:

If I'm planning to get an orchestra balance ticket (far to the side and midway back), which side would you suggest I sit on? In other words, are there any scenes for which you'd definitely want to be able to see one side or the other?

Thanks!

I thought sitting far left was better (that is far left when you are looking at the stage). When on the right, I completely missed the stuff that happened in front of the bassinet in the Prologue, missed the King/Queen acting, Carabosse's entrance in Act 1, the big kiss to wake up, etc. Obviously none of these are MAJOR issues, but I saw two from far left and one from far right, and sitting far left was my personal preference.

I thought sitting far left was better (that is far left when you are looking at the stage). When on the right, I completely missed the stuff that happened in front of the bassinet in the Prologue, missed the King/Queen acting, Carabosse's entrance in Act 1, the big kiss to wake up, etc. Obviously none of these are MAJOR issues, but I saw two from far left and one from far right, and sitting far left was my personal preference.

Thanks ksk04, that's helpful.

Just bought some seats for the premiere on Friday night. I have tickets for the Sat matinee as well, but I'm not sure I'm going to want to drive into the city twice in two days. Guess I'll see how much I love it and how much I really want to see Lane as Aurora.

Surprisingly (or not) there are A LOT of open seats left for the premiere. I'm surprised. Gillian and Marcelo dancing, a Friday night, and a NYC premiere? I shouldn't be able to land great seats five days from the performance.

Spoil alert: Too much demi pointe going on. Not sure I like it. And...I don't think I like Lilac s shiny long gown. I actually want her back in her mid century all tutu/pointes incarnation. Murphy's technique keeps being solid. Her headpiece is hideus.

This is not a spoiler. This was widely publicized. Sorry you aren't enjoying it.

This is not a spoiler. This was widely publicized. Sorry you aren't enjoying it.

Sorry I was not aware of it. No, I did not it was "widely publicized", so I sort if bumped into it. That I am not enjoying it..?! Hell, you better bet I am, girl! (demi pointes and everything). More to come from my big, loud mouth.

Sorry I was not aware of it. No, I did not it was "widely publicized", so I sort if bumped into it. That I am not enjoying it..?! Hell, you better bet I am, girl! (demi pointes and everything). More to come from my big, loud mouth.

:) glad you are liking it!

Cristian, I'm not at LC, but I'm here in spirit and I look forward to your big, loud mouth!!

Basically beautiful!

No 'El Cheapo'....but some 'El Tacky-O.' Those color combos for Florine (orange/Royal blue) and the Garland Gang (aqua and mustard). Ugh.

Marcello really nailed that extra-difficult a3 solo for the Prince. Endless leg beats. Gillian magnificent in her technique, musicality and regal manner. An Aurora of substance!

Cassandra Trenary & Danil Simkin extraordinary as Bluebird and Florine. I also loved the classical magnificence of Isabella Boylston's Diamond...now I MUST RETURN for her Aurora in two weeks' time!

The bent arabesques and demi pointe moves didn't bother me as much here as in Ratmansky's PAQUITA for Munich, perhaps due to the much-stronger soloists and corps here. HOWEVER...Lordie, those six Prologue Variations are weird, with one of them, Fairy Violente, darn right ugly, at one point with deeply-bent elbows and "swastika arms" as she pointed. No way in heck that this came from Petipa, regardless of what the Harvard Notes may state.

A BEAUTY to relish (despite those weird fairies)....topped only by Mariinsky's 1890 version and the current Royal Ballet edition with the full Messel designs.

Yes, Karen and Aurora. I confess it was a bit of a shocker to see every chainee turns segment on demi pointe (Gillian only did them on pointe in her solo during the wedding grand pas). I am on my phone right now, and my tablet crashed, so I will be posting mire in detail when I am back in Miami (oh, I miss the beach..!! :-)). Still...this is definitely a HUGE improvement since Kirkland`s.

Yes, Karen and Aurora. I confess it was a bit of a shocker to see every chainee turns segment on demi pointe (Gillian only did them on pointe in her solo during the wedding grand pas). I am on my phone right now, and my tablet crashed, so I will be posting mire in detail when I am back in Miami (oh, I miss the beach..!! :-)). Still...this is definitely a HUGE improvement since Kirkland`s.

Ok, Cristian, looking forward to your report. .

I generally enjoyed the production. No expense was spared. Costumes must have cost a fortune. Very interesting to see the differences in the choreography from the productions I'm used to seeing. I wish the Prince had more to do. I also wish Lilac had more dancing. It's now largely a character part. Great work from Gillian and Marcelo, as well as Boylston, Trenary and Simkin. I was hoping that the precious metal dances would be even more extensive, as they are at NYCB. My only criticism of Murphy is that her vision scene lacked mystery and a sense of longing. Perhaps its the nature of this choreography in this production that diminishes the effectiveness of the vision scene. The Marge Simpson wig for the Queen must go. Wigs for the fairies are also very distracting and ugly. In particular, one fairy had what looked like an antena on her headpiece, and every time she moved it bobbed up and down. So distracting. This was certainly a grand spectacle ballet.

Yes, demi-pointe must be quite a shock. Ballet is, on some levels, all about those exquisite pointes.

I generally enjoyed the production. No expense was spared. Costumes must have cost a fortune. Very interesting to see the differences in the choreography from the productions I'm used to seeing. I wish the Prince had more to do. I also wish Lilac had more dancing. It's now largely a character part. Great work from Gillian and Marcelo, as well as Boylston, Trenary and Simkin. I was hoping that the precious metal dances would be even more extensive, as they are at NYCB. My only criticism of Murphy is that her vision scene lacked mystery and a sense of longing. Perhaps its the nature of this choreography in this production that diminishes the effectiveness of the vision scene. The Marge Simpson wig for the Queen must go. Wigs for the fairies are also very distracting and ugly. In particular, one fairy had what looked like an antena on her headpiece, and every time she moved it bobbed up and down. So distracting. This was certainly a grand spectacle ballet.

From the the coming-in BA reports and news articles, it seems quite lavish. I hope it's a significant work and lasting. I wish them well!

I thought it was magical. Bravo to Ratmansky and the ABT dancers.

Glad I got to see Gillian and Marcelo, they were excellent (unsurprisingly!). Thought Simkin and Trenary were also wonderful.

I really liked the costumes! Even the mustard and Aqua ones. Boylston's diamond costume was so sparkly and beautiful under the lights. Definitely looked like a costly production, but well worth it.

My one big costume complaint is about the wedding dress for Aurora. It was pretty, but the Queen (aka mother of the bride) had a way more opulent dress. Maybe times were different back in Aurora's day, but I'd be a mighty pissed off bride if my mom out-dressed me on my wedding day---I'm just sayin'

Oh. I also nearly ran into Ratmansky during one of the intermissions. I wanted to say something but he was with his son and I was too shy/chicken. I probably would have just babbled incoherently about how I think he's a genius anyway, so I probably saved myself some embarrassment! biggrin.png

I don't like the line of demi pointe at all, but I decided to go to expose myself to something different and be a part of an ABT historical moment. Should I watch the current production of Sleeping Beauty that most ballet companies perform today first or wait until after? Or does it matter? I have some reading to do on the history of the ballet. I've only seen a few clips so far.