This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015: Romeo and Juliet

Lamb is replacing Osipova in DC. If she's already rehearsing Don Q with Golding, it would make for a less stressful cast chance in Chicago if the need arises.

Marquez is tiny; I'd be surprised if she's even five feet. I don't know how she'd look next to Gomes.

Cuthbertson? She's scheduled to return from a long injury leave on the New York leg.

It seems like a lot of work for Lamb to do two Don Q's in such a short period of time for the Chicago portion of the tour.

Curious. Does Kochetkova do the MacMIllan R&J. She seems to be the new go-to person for ABT.

If Kochetkova is stepping in, they will also have to replace Gomes due to their height difference. They will look more like a father and daughter rather than lovers. Cornejo is realistic choice if he's physically fit (he has to perform the next day with Obraztsova).

I'm still hoping Sara Lane to make her Juliet debut IF Cornejo can sub for Gomes.

They may know the role, but I don't see the benefit for ABT in using RB dancers like Lamb, Cuthbertson or Marquez who are unknowns to the general NY ballet community. Nobody who bought a ticket to see Osipova is going to say "oh,we're seeing Marquez instead of Osipova, that's fine". Cojocaru or Vishneva are really the only appropriate substitutions, although I could see them using Kochetkova since she and Seo have been the go-to girls this season (and thats what I'm afraid of). I don't think height is really an issue here. Juliet is supposed to be young, so being small isn't a disadvantage and neither is a size difference between Romeo and Juliet - remember Ferri/Bolle?

Nobody has mentioned Salenko, whose US schedule with Royal would allow this. I know nothing about her, except that she's paired with McRae here and in the fall. Would she be a possibility with Gomes?

Again, why? She is not a star, what is the advantage of casting her to replace Osipova?

They may know the role, but I don't see the benefit for ABT in using RB dancers like Lamb, Cuthbertson or Marquez who are unknowns to the general NY ballet community. Nobody who bought a ticket to see Osipova is going to say "oh,we're seeing Marquez instead of Osipova, that's fine". Cojocaru or Vishneva are really the only appropriate substitutions, although I could see them using Kochetkova since she and Seo have been the go-to girls this season (and thats what I'm afraid of). I don't think height is really an issue here. Juliet is supposed to be young, so being small isn't a disadvantage and neither is a size difference between Romeo and Juliet - remember Ferri/Bolle?

Yes- that's why I wasn't a huge fan of that partnership. I didn't like Cojocaru/Hallberg partnership in last year's Giselle either. It's just my personal preference though!

I too think that Vishneva is the only option they have left but she doesn't usually sub. Whatever decision they make, I hope they post it asap.

One thing that I find interesting is that Vishneva is considered a Principal at ABT, but will have done only 4 shows over 8 weeks. In what universe is that fair to the other real principals at ABT who are busting their *+@#? to fill in for the injured. Unlike Kent, who understandably cannot dance many performances due to age, Vishneva is healthy and uninjured.

Sorry to be late with this. Went to lunch!

NATALIA OSIPOVA TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCE OF

ROMEO AND JULIET, WEDNESDAY EVENING, JUNE 17, DUE TO INJURY

Due to injury, Natalia Osipova, a Guest Artist with American Ballet Theatre, will not perform the title role in Romeo and Juliet scheduled for Wednesday evening, June 17 at the Metropolitan Opera House, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Ms. Osipova sustained an injury during a performance of Giselle this season with American Ballet Theatre.

“We are hopeful that Natasha will take the time she needs to fully recover,” said Mr. McKenzie. “I join the entire Company in sending her our very best wishes.”

American Ballet Theatre’s 2015 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House continues through July 4, 2015.

A pity that Murphy, Kent, and Vishneva are likely unable to pick up the extra performance.

I'd love it if McKenzie gave one of the younger in-house team a crack at it--Shevchenko or Trenary for my money--but it would probably be cruel to thrust a newcomer in front of an Osipova-hungry crowd. I wonder if Part knows the role? In a non-bravura role like this, she would seem an even trade.

[Cue wishful thinking] However, if the delay is due to contractual negotiations, I've heard there's this gal named Dorothée Gilbert who has danced the balcony pas de deux with Gomes before...

Sorry to be late with this. Went to lunch!

NATALIA OSIPOVA TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCE OF

ROMEO AND JULIET, WEDNESDAY EVENING, JUNE 17, DUE TO INJURY

Due to injury, Natalia Osipova, a Guest Artist with American Ballet Theatre, will not perform the title role in Romeo and Juliet scheduled for Wednesday evening, June 17 at the Metropolitan Opera House, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Ms. Osipova sustained an injury during a performance of Giselle this season with American Ballet Theatre.

We are hopeful that Natasha will take the time she needs to fully recover, said Mr. McKenzie. I join the entire Company in sending her our very best wishes.

American Ballet Theatres 2015 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House continues through July 4, 2015.

FINALLY! Took them long enough to announce it. I expect Osipova will also be out of all the RB NYC performances as well:( Wishing her well and a speedy recovery. Being injured is so tough mentally and emotionally, not just physically.

Very glad I exchanged that seat earlier today, around 3pm. I got a seat to see a second performance of Diana in SB this Saturday:) I was just not willing to wait around to see who Kevin casts in R&J in her place. I fear it will be Seo:(

[Cue wishful thinking] However, if the delay is due to contractual negotiations, I've heard there's this gal named Dorothée Gilbert who has danced the balcony pas de deux with Gomes before...

Luciana Paris has also performed the balcony pas de deux with Gomes in the past.

I am merely guessing, but I have a feeling it's going to be Kochetkova replacing Osipova. She put up two pictures on Instagram in a very Juliet looking dress with the caption "rehearsing". Not sure who the guy (pic from the side) is though.

She couldn't possibly dance with Marcelo? It really would look like Romeo and his daughter.

I am merely guessing, but I have a feeling it's going to be Kochetkova replacing Osipova. She put up two pictures on Instagram in a very Juliet looking dress with the caption "rehearsing". Not sure who the guy (pic from the side) is though.

She couldn't possibly dance with Marcelo? It really would look like Romeo and his daughter.

Perhaps not: The gentleman is Joan Boada of San Francisco Ballet and the locale doesn't appear to be NYC (at least, I don't recognize the set in the background from any of ABT's productions.)

Perhaps not: The gentleman is Joan Boada of San Francisco Ballet and the locale doesn't appear to be NYC (at least, I don't recognize the set in the background from any of ABT's productions.)

Thanks! I couldn't recognize the gentleman, so maybe it is just an older picture (as I believe she is still in NY or at least was on Sunday). Guess I should just wait to see whom the replacement will be instead of trying to figure it out!