This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015: Swan Lake

Another way to look at it is that he would have decided that now she is ready both for the role and the promotion. He cast her in the Guggenheim excerpt, which he didn't have to.

Why take the opportunity for the free publicity and goodwill by announcing a promotion onstage, making the performance even more of an "I was there when..." special moment?

Looking at the overall casting for this week, I have to say I don't think I've ever been less excited about a Swan Lake week at ABT. (And I usually consider it one of the highlights of the season, despite its ubiquity.) I'm depressed about the prospects for this company.

Looking at the overall casting for this week, I have to say I don't think I've ever been less excited about a Swan Lake week at ABT. (And I usually consider it one of the highlights of the season, despite its ubiquity.) I'm depressed about the prospects for this company.

That's why I'm spending most of this week watching the RB. There was a time when nothing would have kept me from ABT's SL week. Despite the fact that I don't like their staging, the casts they could field made most performances unmissable. Now they're mostly meh...

I went to tonight's SL. I have great admiration for Murphy's high level of technical ability, but I have to say I was completely unmoved by her Odette. To me, it seemed perfunctory and lacking in drama. She is not a fluid dancer. She can spin like nobody else in the company, but that just wasn't enough for me. I felt like she had made a lot of progress as Odette over the years, but somehow last night's performance seemed like a regression rather than a step forward for her Odette. Gomes was fantastic, completely invested in every moment on stage. Cory has improved a lot as Purple Rothbart. I too will be at the RB most of the week.

That's why I'm spending most of this week watching the RB. There was a time when nothing would have kept me from ABT's SL week. Despite the fact that I don't like their staging, the casts they could field made most performances unmissable. Now they're mostly meh...

As I said up thread I'm not seeing even one ABT SL. I was very mildly tempted by tonight but had family obligations. The rest of the week is RB for me, all the way. Sorry, but not even Veronika can tempt me. And now that someone on another thread posted that Osipova is back dancing and did Don Q, I'm thrilled.

I'll be in NY tomorrow for Misty & Joseph's SL but have zero interest in staying on for the Royal @ the Koch at night...I vote with my wallet and have no intention of paying $$$ for Song of the Earth...total MEH even if coupled with The Dream. (Saw Song at Darcy Bussell's farewell. That was more than enough.)

I'll be in NY tomorrow for Misty & Joseph's SL but have zero interest in staying on for the Royal @ the Koch at night...I vote with my wallet and have no intention of paying $$$ for Song of the Earth...total MEH even if coupled with The Dream. (Saw Song at Darcy Bussell's farewell. That was more than enough.)

Gorak isn't doing SL. Whiteside is dancing with Copeland.

And, we should say, Simkin's. I have a friend who got tickets to this specifically after seeing his Bluebird the other week.

Good point! I like Simkin's dancing. It's a shame there is the height issues, because I find him thrilling to watch.

I've been Simkin's fan since he won that award in Japan (forgot what it was). I just wish that he could improve on his partnering skill with Kochetkova. They'vedone sl before and I think his partnership with Maria is better that with Boylston.

Just read Alastair Macauley's review of opening night SL, and he reminded us about last year when she was injured after Act II and Hee Seo came on for the rest of the performance, much to Marcelo's relief. I was there and Gillian was incandescent. Hee Seo was competent but I thought that Marcelo carried her the rest of the way. At the curtain calls he was all adoration for her effort. Sorry I could not be there Monday evening. This is a great role for Gillian.

if the above post refers to SWAN LAKE as performed by ABT on Mon. Jun. 22, 2015, it was not Macaulay's by-line - he was not at the Met last night, he was presenting an evening historic Royal Ballet films from the Jerome Robbins Dance Division at the NYPL's Bruno Walter Auditorium. the writer of the NYTimes review of ABT's opening SWAN LAKE, 2015 was Gia Kourlas.

I feel the same! I don't think I've missed an SL week at ABT once in the decade I've been attending their performances. I was tempted to see Veronika tomorrow, but I've seen her do SL with Corey before and been deeply disappointed. I'd rather cherish my memories of her dancing O/O with Marcelo and David, so I'll be seeing the RB tomorrow instead.

It's 6:30 am and I'm in DC's Union Station already lining up for the 7:30 am Megabus to NY. Imagine my surprise when I discover that the couple ahead of me + a family of 4 ahead them are ALL doing Day Trips to witness Misty's NY SWAN LAKE debut! So this will be a Misty bus. (I swear - I didn't organize this.)

Two schools in my immediate neighborhood of SW DC have chartered their own Misty buses. Little did I know that even this Megabus would become a Misty bus too. LOL!

Ready to roll! On-time departure. Toot-toot!!!!

I feel the same! I don't think I've missed an SL week at ABT once in the decade I've been attending their performances. I was tempted to see Veronika tomorrow, but I've seen her do SL with Corey before and been deeply disappointed. I'd rather cherish my memories of her dancing O/O with Marcelo and David, so I'll be seeing the RB tomorrow instead.

Part's greatest SL was the one time she danced it with Bolle. Somehow, some way, I'm hoping for a cast change on Saturday night in which Part must fill in for Seo, and she has to have either Bolle or Gomes partner her. I can dream, can't I. No ill wishes to Hee Seo.

if the above post refers to SWAN LAKE as performed by ABT on Mon. Jun. 22, 2015, it was not Macaulay's by-line - he was not at the Met last night, he was presenting an evening historic Royal Ballet films from the Jerome Robbins Dance Division at the NYPL's Bruno Walter Auditorium. the writer of the NYTimes review of ABT's opening SWAN LAKE, 2015 was Gia Kourlas.

Yes I just checked and you are right. It was Gia Kourlas who wrote the review.

I haven't seen Cory dance it quite a while so I'm curious if I see improvements in his expressiveness/acting skills. I think he partners Veronika well and seeing her luscious O/O is worth the price of admission for me. And cherry on the top is Marcelo as purple VonRothbart, just for fun! (yes, I'd rather see the male roles reversed but we can't have everything) Hope to see some of you at RB on Thurs night!

Intermission

WOW! Misty magnificent, as is James Whiteside. A1 pas 3 ok: Teuscher especially good in her solo; Schevchenko missing details and exhibiting somewhat sloppy feet. Calvin Royal showing great finesse in his solo, if it underpowered.

Misty's Odette simply gorgeous....musicality, exhibition of line (extraordinary curves if leg and feet; eloquent arms and hands). So passionate with her Siegfried. The White pdd danced as one. I've never cried so much since seeing Lopatkina at the Mariinsky.

Did I mention Misty's balances during her solo & the initial dialogue with Siegfried? TO DIE FOR!

Now to 2nd half.

Curtain calls...crowd squealing bravos foriisty!

Spectacular black swan pdd, despite a few piques after halfway through fouettés. Overall, Gorgeous!

Kudos too to Zhurbin's purple Rothbart!

Among the two demi solo swans, April Giangeruso impressed for her fluidity.