This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2015: Giselle

What on earth is Kevin waiting for, to promote Stella?

This reminds me of another "Late Giselle" - Irina Chistyakova, a soloist of the Mariinsky, who was finally allowed to dance Giselle in her last year of service. It was a huge triumph and her long-time fans filled the theatre. Many shed tears of joy that night. Alas, it was too late for a promotion and she was never made principal.

I hope that Stella will be luckier than Chistyakova and actually be promoted to principal before she retires.

What on earth is Kevin waiting for, to promote Stella?

This reminds me of another "Late Giselle" - Irina Chistyakova, a soloist of the Mariinsky, who was finally allowed to dance Giselle in her last year of service. It was a huge triumph and her long-time fans filled the theatre. Many shed tears of joy that night. Alas, it was too late for a promotion and she was never made principal.

I hope that Stella will be luckier than Chistyakova and actually be promoted to principal before she retires.

McKenzie should have promoted her from the stage, after the performance. Isn't that what they do (or did) at Paris Opera Ballet?

McKenzie should have promoted her from the stage, after the performance. Isn't that what they do (or did) at Paris Opera Ballet?

I was hoping he would.

He should give her one of Seo's Juliets. I don't know if Stella knows the part, but if she did it would capitalize on all of the buzz going on right now plus give poor Hee Seo a rest and not make her dance back to back performances.

I do think she'll get promoted after this year, though. If she doesn't, it'll be time to face that it just isn't happening.

Last night was so epic that I feel done with Giselle and am ready to move on The Sleeping Beauty. The rest of the Giselle performances don't even matter to me.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but to my eye it looked like Shlykarov was doing entrechat huit (eight!!) rather than entrechat six...? Either way, he was phenomenal! And Stella, of course, was otherworldly. And it was tremendously touching to see all the outpouring of support for Stella from her colleagues on social media, particularly on Instagram-- in the comments of her own post, Julie Kent agreed that Stella should be promoted to principal too :)

I could not see the performance (I live in Tokyo) but reading the enthusiastic reports on the Stella Abrera Giselle is now bringing me into tears. So glad she was phenomenal in the role and all the love balletomanes here have shown her is so touching. Her longtime development and hard work has been given a chance at last.

Now I hope she has more opportunities this season and a promotion, so that we can see her in a lead role in ABT's next Japan tour.

My friend was in the AT&T store and a stranger randomly gave her an orchestra seat for last nights Giselle, completely free! Her first time at the ballet was a total surprise and she got to see Abrera and Shklyarov, how fun. I've don't know anything about Abrera, but this board seems to love her, so I am looking forward to seeing her Myrtha. I'm a huge fan of the Russians (unpopular, I know. although I should mention, not the Russians of the Somova and Skorik variety), and very much hoping to see impressive talent based here at home.

I could not see the performance (I live in Tokyo) but reading the enthusiastic reports on the Stella Abrera Giselle is now bringing me into tears. So glad she was phenomenal in the role and all the love balletomanes here have shown her is so touching. Her longtime development and hard work has been given a chance at last.

Now I hope she has more opportunities this season and a promotion, so that we can see her in a lead role in ABT's next Japan tour.

I agree with naomikage- it's been so moving and a deep joy to read the outpouring of affection and support for Stella Abrera posted here. Thank you all.

I am beyond bummed I missed the Stella Abrera Giselle due to some unforeseen circumstances (including an ear infection that hasn't gone away). But now I have confidence that this will not be Abrera's only Giselle. So there's always next year ...

I am beyond bummed I missed the Stella Abrera Giselle due to some unforeseen circumstances (including an ear infection that hasn't gone away). But now I have confidence that this will not be Abrera's only Giselle. So there's always next year ...

Hope you feel better soon...

Sorry about the ear infection. I've had problems with my ears this year, too, due to allergies. It's frustrating.

I actually feel bad about my earlier post about not caring about the rest of Giselle week. There are two big retirement performances coming up this week, plus Julie Kent's last Giselle. I'm looking forward to hearing about these, so I hope they'll be some reports from BA'ers who attend.

Well, Julie Kent was the first Giselle I ever saw, and so I had to be there for her last performance of this ballet.

She definitely struggled a bit with the technique in Act I (some messy attitude turns, and she had to restart the hops on pointe twice)--but she never let it show in her face, and never dropped out of character. Even though she's closer to fifty than fifteen, she still has this "aw shucks" ingenuous sweetness that makes her believable as a young girl, and it makes you want to root for her when she struggles.

Act II was great--Kent looked believably ghost-like and ethereal, thanks in no small part to Bolle's assured, effortless partnering. Bolle was fantastic throughout--great standstill lifts at the beginning of Act II and 32+ entrechat sixes--but it didn't have the OMG, amazing!! factor that Shklyarov had on Saturday.

Gillian Murphy was a rock-solid, imperious Myrta as always.

Luciana Paris and Blaine Hoven performed the peasant p.d.d. Although both had a few iffy moments, Paris is really great at "selling" her variations and emphasizing the stuff she is really good at.

All in all, it was a very satisfying performance, if not the most exciting one I've seen. And perhaps it wasn't her best Giselle ever, but it was an admirable final show. Kent looked quite emotional in her bows and curtain calls.

Well, Julie Kent was the first Giselle I ever saw, and so I had to be there for her last performance of this ballet.

She definitely struggled a bit with the technique in Act I (some messy attitude turns, and she had to restart the hops on pointe twice)--but she never let it show in her face, and never dropped out of character. Even though she's closer to fifty than fifteen, she still has this "aw shucks" ingenuous sweetness that makes her believable as a young girl, and it makes you want to root for her when she struggles.

Act II was great--Kent looked believably ghost-like and ethereal, thanks in no small part to Bolle's assured, effortless partnering. Bolle was fantastic throughout--great standstill lifts at the beginning of Act II and 32+ entrechat sixes--but it didn't have the OMG, amazing!! factor that Shklyarov had on Saturday.

Gillian Murphy was a rock-solid, imperious Myrta as always.

Luciana Paris and Blaine Hoven performed the peasant p.d.d. Although both had a few iffy moments, Paris is really great at "selling" her variations and emphasizing the stuff she is really good at.

All in all, it was a very satisfying performance, if not the most exciting one I've seen. And perhaps it wasn't her best Giselle ever, but it was an admirable final show. Kent looked quite emotional in her bows and curtain calls.

Yes, a few bumps here and there, but overall a very emotional and satisfying evening. She still managed to convey the pure love and sheer betrayal of a young girl. And then in Act II was more ethereal than many. She seemed at times to slip in and out of Albrecht's arms, truly as the spirit she was. Both Bolle and Kent were splendid last night. He gave her all the support she needed without overpowering her. The fact that they've danced this together so many times did not diminish their sense of "in the moment " freshness. Clearly, a very emotional evening for many . Even Gillian seemed to be fighting back tears during the curtain call. And of course, both Kent and Bolle seemed overwhelmed by night's end. So glad to have seen this one!

Gillian Murphy posted an interesting message on her Instagram account:

It was my bittersweet honor to portray Myrta in the past for the retirement shows of fave ballerinas #SusanJaffe & #AmandaMcKerrow and for #NinaAnaniashvili's final ABT #Giselle. So even though I was somewhat prepared for the emotional rollercoaster of showing no mercy whilst being wholeheartedly supportive, @juliekentofficial's raw beauty and vulnerability was truly wrenching to watch tonight in her final Giselle Congrats #trulyjulie & @robertobolle for an exquisite & unforgettable performance!!

Class act, but she must be wondering when she'll get her Giselle at ABT!

I'm a huge Gillian Murphy fan, but I don't think she'd be well cast as Giselle. Did she actually express a desire to dance this role? I haven't seen her display the right kind of vulnerability or lightness. I'd actually rather see her Nikiya, which also requires some vulnerability, and I believe she has danced, but she is only cast as Gamzatti this season. I'm so glad I got to see her Hagar again this season, though.

I did standing room on Saturday to catch Stella's debut. There's not much to write that hasn't been said. She did seem to struggle a wee bit in the first act, both in the hops on pointe and pirouettes, but her characterization was fantastic. I felt like there was a cultural distance between them that served them well: infatuated with one another, yet from other worlds. Sadly, Craig Sailstein did not come off well, dancing on the same stage as Shklyarov. Poor guy. Weak double tours :(. Misty danced beautifully, in my opinion. I love how she presents her carriage and face to the audience -- others could take note . (Overall this was a night of fine ballerina port-de-bras, between Misty, Stella, and Veronika. This is something I truly value ABT for, so I was pleased.)

Stella owned the second act, as many have observed. She seemed so weightless at times, truly like a spirit. There were moments when she held that third-arabesque (?) position so typical of Giselle she looked like a print out of the 19th century. It's hard for me to describe the subtly and beauty she adds to the role. And Shklarov partnered her with such ease! Also, his beats are amazing.

Thanks for all the reviews and information on the season so far, friends. Now onto tonight and Vishneva/ Gomes. Gosh, I love springtime in NY. And I get to sit!

I'm a huge Gillian Murphy fan, but I don't think she'd be well cast as Giselle. Did she actually express a desire to dance this role? I haven't seen her display the right kind of vulnerability or lightness. I'd actually rather see her Nikiya, which also requires some vulnerability, and I believe she has danced, but she is only cast as Gamzatti this season. I'm so glad I got to see her Hagar again this season, though.

I did standing room on Saturday to catch Stella's debut. There's not much to write that hasn't been said. She did seem to struggle a wee bit in the first act, both in the hops on pointe and pirouettes, but her characterization was fantastic. I felt like there was a cultural distance between them that served them well: infatuated with one another, yet from other worlds. Sadly, Craig Sailstein did not come off well, dancing on the same stage as Shklyarov. Poor guy. Weak double tours sad.png. Misty danced beautifully, in my opinion. I love how she presents her carriage and face to the audience -- others could take note . (Overall this was a night of fine ballerina port-de-bras, between Misty, Stella, and Veronika. This is something I truly value ABT for, so I was pleased.)

Stella owned the second act, as many have observed. She seemed so weightless at times, truly like a spirit. There were moments when she held that third-arabesque (?) position so typical of Giselle she looked like a print out of the 19th century. It's hard for me to describe the subtly and beauty she adds to the role. And Shklarov partnered her with such ease! Also, his beats are amazing.

Thanks for all the reviews and information on the season so far, friends. Now onto tonight and Vishneva/ Gomes. Gosh, I love springtime in NY. And I get to sit!

Gillian performed as Giselle with Royal New Zealand Ballet, which was filmed and broadcast in movie theatres internationally

Gillian performed as Giselle with Royal New Zealand Ballet, which was filmed and broadcast in movie theatres internationally

Sorry, I did not know this. Seems they brought the production to L.A. too. Looks like an interesting take on Giselle. (The whole ballet is framed as a flashback remembered by a guilty, aging Albrecht. 2nd act solo added. Hillarion's role expanded.)

But watching the trailer and viewing images of the production confirms my opinion that Gillian is perhaps not particularly well cast here.

Murphy 2nd act arabesque (wish I could find a pic of Stella to contrast)

http://dancetabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/mh-giselle-gillian-murphy-qi-huan-wilis-lines_1000.jpg

PNB's "Giselle," which goes back to the original, is a more full-blooded Giselle. There's a lot more mime, and, through it she says "No" and "Stop" a lot, and can be direct, willful, and strong. It's by no means a feminist screed., but she's not easily pushed around, by Hilarion, by her mother, or by Myrtha.