This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bayerisches Staatsballett 2015-16 Season

I was intrigued that they have commissioned a new work by Azure Barton. Have any American companies done that? With the constant complaints about the paucity of female choreographers in ballet, this is interesting. She seems to be a favorite of Baryshnikov (although not Gottlieb!).

From Barton's website:

"She has created works for Mikhail Baryshnikov, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, American Ballet Theatre, The National Ballet of Canada, Nederlands Dans Theater, The Martha Graham Dance Company, Bayerisches Staatsballett, Sydney Dance Company, Houston Ballet, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, BJM Danse Montréal (Resident Artist 05-08), among others"

It looks like she's splitting her time half and half between making work for her own ensemble and for others (she's also done some theater work)

I was intrigued that they have commissioned a new work by Azure Barton. Have any American companies done that? With the constant complaints about the paucity of female choreographers in ballet, this is interesting. She seems to be a favorite of Baryshnikov (although not Gottlieb!).

Don't know about American companies, but the National Ballet of Canada commissioned a piece from Aszure Barton a few years ago.

The performances of Jose Limon's The Exiles in New York in October will be part of the Limon company's larger celebration of their 70th anniversary season. Not only will they be performing but they're inviting other companies to come and perform Limon standards.

Barton made a piece for ABT called "One of Three" to Ravel Violin Sonata in G during 2009 fall season at Avery Fisher Hall. It wasn't very memorable and I don't remember ABT ever performed it again. The highlight of that season was Ratmansky's Seven Sonatas.