This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Did you see the Bolshoi perform during the Cold War?

Hi! As I’ve explained in earlier posts, I am a music and dance historian working on a history of the early Cold War ballet exchange tours, particularly those of the Bolshoi in the US in 1959 and 1962.

I’ve seen some tantalizing hints on this forum before indicating that some of you possibly saw the Bolshoi perform on those tours. If you did, I would love to interview you! One of the perils of a reception history is that it’s so much easier to get the opinions of newspaper critics than it is to get the opinions of anyone else in the audience. It would mean so much to me and to my work to be able to hear anything you remember of these tours. I’d be happy to conduct the interviews by phone or skype or simply by email.

I’m also working on the tours of the Soviet Union by American Ballet Theatre in 1960 and New York City Ballet in 1962 - so if you were in the audience for those (or if you participated in them!!) I’d love to hear from you as well. I also may be expanding my work to include the 1966 tours by the Bolshoi in the United States and American Ballet Theatre in the Soviet Union, so information on those tours is also of interest to me.

Please PM me, and/or write about some of your impressions of the Bolshoi in the comments section. I’d love to see a discussion going here as well. Thank you!