This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2015 season

I haven't seen this announced yet anywhere. The dates at Koch are Oct. 21 - Nov. 1. At least, those are the dates for the two ABT tickets currently being auctioned by the Colorado Ballet. No hint of rep, but I hope we'll hear about that soon. I'm still hoping for a revival of Push Comes to Shove with Cornejo!

Thanks for the dates, California. They previousy announced that Mark Morris will create a new work for ABT's fall season. I would bet various ballets from last fall will return, including Sinfonietta and their version of Raymonda Variations. Also would bet that Pillar of Fire will be at the Koch. Given that it's Twyla's 50th anniversary in the biz, bet your wish about Push Comes to Shove will come true.

Wonder if they will continue their tradition of no shows on Halloween. Since it falls on a Saturday this year, that would mean a loss of two shows. Also, Yom Kippur falls during these dates, which may result in a loss of some ticket sales.

Here's the documentation of those dates from the auction site: https://myab.co/events/Ig/i/_All/1bN3/?search=

Lots of great stuff at the on-line auction, which closes Saturday. Anybody planning a trip to Colorado this summer (for the Vail festival or otherwise) should take a look, and I assume those ABT tickets would be mailed. (Sorry - no legal marijuana on the site - you'll have to pick that up when you're in Colorado.)

https://myab.co/events/Ig/i/

I hope ABT announces the fall dates and program soon. Last fall I saw them at the Koch and the company looked so good on that stage. Alive and vital and accomplished. The mixed bill was perfect for that venue and showed the dancers to their best advantage. Perhaps they will continue the 75th anniversary celebration and bring back more of their best loved pieces--as you said, Push Comes to Shove and other signature pieces. No full length clunkers with heavy, cumbersome costumes, distracting wigs, and lots of strutting and not enough dancing. And maybe no rent-a-dancers! One can only hope. I'm excited thinking about it! The night I attended, Rachel Moore spoke to the audience and said how happy the company was to return to this stage after 37 years! It is the best venue for dance in NYC.

The company is performing on October 9-11 at Richard B. Fisher Center. The repertoire is The Green Table, Company B, and Mark Morris World Premier so I assume at least one of them will be part of ABT's Fall season performance.

Question for Abatt: Why no Company B? What don't you like about it? I must say, it's my favorite Taylor piece, and I find it very moving. As I said in another thread, it's ironic that although it was created by Taylor, and when his company performs it the dancers are no slouches, ABT's dancers do it much better. Gillian was very poignant in I Can Dream, Can't I and Cornejo absolutely brought the house down as the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (Sascha wasn't bad, either). And Craig always nails Oh, Johnny! with his comic timing. You're perfectly entitled not to want to see it again (I have my own "never-again" list); I'm just curious why.

Or Green Table. Pass the No-Doze, please, if so. I know that it's "mandatory class reading" and the equivalent of taking castor oil but, heck, I spend my hard-earned dollars on balletic ballet.

As they say, your mileage may vary. It's one of my absolute favorite works in the world.

If you don't like it -- don't go.

Paul Taylor Dance Company just performed Company B as part of its season at the Koch in March 2015. I'm almost certain I saw it at the Koch in March . ABT did it only a few years ago. There is an oversaturation with this work. If ABT was planning on doing it in 2015 in New York, then Taylor shouldn't have done it the same year in NYC.

Also, I don't necessarily agree that ABT performs it better. Cornejo is an exquisite classical dancer, but the Taylor dancers have expertise in the very specific modern dance idiom and characterization nuances that Taylor employs. I definitely don't need to see ABT do this work again anytime soon.

As an example of the differences, the Rum & Coca Cola is supposed to be a very sarcastic and biting interpretation of how Americans treat other cultures. When an ABT ballerina dances the lead, that doesn't come through.

I want to thank all of you who have posted about the ABT spring season now concluding and about the NYCB spring season now concluded. I was not able to come in for performances this season but your comments kept me in the loop and I learned a lot from all of you, especially those with much more knowledge about technique than I have. I expect to get tickets for some performances of both companies' fall seasons at the Koch and I know I will view the performances with more insight than I had before, thanks to the lively discussion on this board. I'll continue to follow what you have to say over the summer and look forward to more discussions when the fall season gets underway. Happy summer, all!

Isn't it strange that ABT hasn't released a press release on its Fall Season? I thought they announced it in the middle of the Met season. That way they can benefit from the Met season buzz and use it to stimulate ticket sales for the fall. I know their Met season usually gets announced around October, way ahead of the summer.

I'm very anxious to hear about the Fall Season as well. Some ballets are to be assumed at this point but it would be nice to get the actual announcement.

This has already been posted on the thread but confirming this from Bard in Oct.:

<http://www.bard.edu/news/events/?year=2015&month=10>

The Green Table by Kurt Jooss, with live music

Company B by Paul Taylor

World premiere of a new work by Mark Morris, with live music

Perhaps a preview of fall?

Anyway, hope everyone enjoys their 4th on BA!

Thanks, AlexL and stuben, I'm thrilled ABT will perform at Bard this fall! Natalia, I do hope the Mark Morris is a ballet and not a modern dance piece - I'm good with seeing ABT perform Company B again, but I want to see ballet, too (I need to research The Green Table as I don't know anything about it as yet). I'd like to hear what others think of it here, too.

Hadn't looked at this thread for awhile -- Green Table!

It's a wonderful example of expressionist ballet. Jooss was cross-trained in ballet and German expressionist dance (a student of Laban's) and so the movement is both meaningful and kinetic. The role of Death needs a man with gravitas (it helps if he's tall, but it's more important that he's strong --the gestures in his main solo were created with the scything motions that you use when you harvest grasses by hand -- it's got great torque) The Profiteer is a great role for someone small and quick. Of the women's roles, I've always loved the Partisan best -- lots of jumping and charging. When the Joffrey toured with this in the 60s and 70s, Christian Holder was often Death (after Max Zomosa died) and Gary Chryst was the Profiteer. I think they were both coached by Jooss before he died.

Back in the Ballet Russe days, we saw a lot of this kind of narrative/expressive work, but it's much more rare now.

Thanks, AlexL and stuben, I'm thrilled ABT will perform at Bard this fall! Natalia, I do hope the Mark Morris is a ballet and not a modern dance piece - I'm good with seeing ABT perform Company B again, but I want to see ballet, too (I need to research The Green Table as I don't know anything about it as yet). I'd like to hear what others think of it here, too.

Yes, it seems that so far the programming is top-heavy with modern dance. I want to see ballet too.