Plisskin

Joy Womack

111 posts in this topic

I am always confused about competitions and what is to be gained and lost by a dancer. Joy W. has been a professional for a while now what do these competitions offer her? I honestly don't know.

I don't know either, and I thought her classical performance was the weakest I've seen from her. Haven't yet viewed the modern. I also found the white ribbons  highly distracting. When she first came out, I thought they were feathers and couldn't figure out how that went with her costume! Either that was a last minute fix for something that went wrong (am trying to figure out what that could be) or could it be she forgot to pancake them? I've never seen white ribbons sewn on the outside in addition to pink ribbons. Even if they were pink, they still gave an impression of being raggedy.  Is there something I'm missing? Is that a thing?

Posted (edited)

I also was bothered by Womack's shoe ribbons.  But perhaps it was, as Vagansmom suggested, a quick fix for something that went wrong at the last minute...

57 minutes ago, vipa said:

I am always confused about competitions and what is to be gained and lost by a dancer. Joy W. has been a professional for a while now what do these competitions offer her? I honestly don't know.

Many things about dance competitions confuse me too.  But I am thinking perhaps the senior dancers (many of whom must be established professionals) think of the Moscow competition as a reputation builder that may open up opportunities for them.  And Womack, in particular, may reasonably feel that doing well at this competition would give her a certain legitimacy with audiences that just remember the 'scandal' associated with her departure from the Bolshoi or who see her as a mere creature of her own social media. 

I'm also not sure what role the companies themselves play in encouraging their dancers to compete.

Also perhaps not anyone's main motivation for entering but there are $200,000 worth of prizes being dispersed.

http://moscowballetcompetition.com/en/news/prizes-and-awards-xiii-international-ballet-competition-and-the-contest-of-choreographers

Edited by Drew

These competitions are an opportunity to get noticed by other, bigger companies. Joy has made no secret of wanting to leave the Kremlin Ballet but so far, there doesn't seem to have been any suitable offers. 

If you were an AD would you hire her?  Personally I find the oversharing and neuroses on display to be massively distracting from the goal of suspending audience disbelief.  

I have my doubts that a North American or Western European AD would want to hire her, especially as she hasn't much recent experience in contemporary, neo-classical or Western European styles (Ashton, Macmillan, Bournonville, etc).  

Maybe Houston Ballet?  But Stanton Welch has plenty of talented principals.  And he would not allow independent  vlogging.  

Apparently the "Mariinsky East" in Vladivostok is aggressively hiring. Maybe she could do well & link herself to the overall Mariinsky enterprise.

On 6/21/2017 at 11:23 AM, Deflope said:

These competitions are an opportunity to get noticed by other, bigger companies. Joy has made no secret of wanting to leave the Kremlin Ballet but so far, there doesn't seem to have been any suitable offers. 

Possibly that is because she is lucky to have the position she does have.  

21 hours ago, Jayne said:

If you were an AD would you hire her?  Personally I find the oversharing and neuroses on display to be massively distracting from the goal of suspending audience disbelief.  

I have my doubts that a North American or Western European AD would want to hire her, especially as she hasn't much recent experience in contemporary, neo-classical or Western European styles (Ashton, Macmillan, Bournonville, etc).  

Maybe Houston Ballet?  But Stanton Welch has plenty of talented principals.  And he would not allow independent  vlogging.  

See what you mean Jayne. Womack being so openly critical about people and companies would be a red flag. There are a lot of talented dancers out there to hire. Also her limited experience as you described (and I agree with) make her seem a dancer left behind.

19 hours ago, MadameP said:

Possibly that is because she is lucky to have the position she does have.  

Its the never ending.  dilemma. Would one rather be a principal in a small company with a small salary or a soloist or corps member at a big company. 

I've watched a lot of her vlogs and honestly, she seems fragile  I don't think that Russia has been kind to her, honestly, and I just don't think she knows how to handle it all.  She seems very isolated.

I finally got a chance to watch the Moscow competition and I wasn't overly impressed with Joy to be honest. There were 2 American girls dancing in the junior division who were much better (one of them won the gold). She should stay were she's at and really appreciate her position at her current company. She's not bad but just kind of vanilla. Kinda bland. Not trying to be harsh when I saw that but it's what I think. I've seen much better dancers languishing away in the corp at ABT. I still enjoy her vlogs when she does do them, which isn't as frequent anymore.