This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2015 Romeo and Juliet

Most, but not quite all, of the casts; still to come 5/8, 5/9 and 5/10. Note guest Romeo, Vito Mazzeo, on 5/2 8 pm and 5/3 2 pm. I'm surprised that so far Frances Chung isn't cast; she seems like a natural for this. Very glad to see Van Patten/Quenedit for opening night.

ROMEO & JULIET

Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson

Composer: Sergei Prokofiev

Friday, May 01, 2015 - 8pm

Conductor: Ming Luke

Juliet: Sarah Van Patten

Romeo: Carlos Quenedit

Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 2pm

Juliet: Mathilde Froustey*

Romeo: Carlo Di Lanno*

Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 8pm

Conductor: Martin West

Juliet: Yuan Yuan Tan

Romeo: Vito Mazzeo+

+guest artist

Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 2pm

Juliet: Yuan Yuan Tan

Romeo: Vito Mazzeo+

+guest artist

Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 8pm

Juliet: Maria Kochetkova

Romeo: Davit Karapetyan

Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 7:30pm

Juliet: Vanessa Zahorian

Romeo: Joan Boada

Thursday, May 07, 2015 - 8pm

Juliet: Maria Kochetkova

Romeo: Davit Karapetyan

Why are Tan and Mazzeo performing at 8pm to 10:30pm, and then again the next day at the 2pm matinee? A self-destructive impulse?

I thought that was odd too. I wouldn't be surprised if the casting changes for one of them.

Froustey with Di Lanno could be an interesting pairing.

They were partnered in Symphony #9 and were very good. My subscription tickets are Saturday matinee, so I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Lucky you!

Mazzeo is making a special appearance so perhaps he's only available for the one weekend. Then it's back to Europe. I agree that it's odd that Chung isn't participating. No Feijoo or Sylve either. I saw Feijoo in the audience for Shostakovich Trilogy, and Program 7 matinee the next day - with what looked to be visiting family. She may have a minor injury - who knows? It's that time of the season when a lot of dancers are hurting.

Edit: Yuan Yuan and Vito are still listed as performing Saturday night and Sunday matinee - for some reason the 8pm casting is shown before the 2pm casting which is confusing things. I think I may mention that to the SFB webmaster.

Tiit Helimets mentioned that his 2015 season had ended. And I thought that can't be, but the Romeo and Juliet run is pretty short, and there is plainly not enough principal roles to go round.

Edit: Yuan Yuan and Vito are still listed as performing Saturday night and Sunday matinee - for some reason the 8pm casting is shown before the 2pm casting which is confusing things. I think I may mention that to the SFB webmaster.

Tiit Helimets mentioned that his 2015 season had ended. And I thought that can't be, but the Romeo and Juliet run is pretty short, and there is plainly not enough principal roles to go round.

Don’t forget there are four more casts to be announced: Friday 5/8, Saturday 5/9 at 2 pm and 8 pm, and Sunday, May 10 at 2 pm. I’m still hoping for a Chung Juliet, plus another for Van Patten would be great. Apparently female soloists aren't often given this kind of lead, but I'd love to see Dores Andre. She has developed tremendously since her promotion to soloist and I think she'd be a lovely Juliet.

Although there’s a video of Het National Ballet with Sylve as Juliet, I don’t believe she has danced it at SFB; not sure if Feijoo has performed it here, but certainly not recently.

Thanks for the reminder, PeggyR - I would expect one of the soloists - especially De Sola - to be offered an opportunity. But Sasha is out, so Andre or Stahl (but is she hurting after her fall?) would be a good bet. I have to assume that Helimets has taken himself out of the running to do other things, or he wouldn't have made the statement that his season was over.

Thanks for the reminder, PeggyR - I would expect one of the soloists - especially De Sola - to be offered an opportunity. But Sasha is out, so Andre or Stahl (but is she hurting after her fall?) would be a good bet. I have to assume that Helimets has taken himself out of the running to do other things, or he wouldn't have made the statement that his season was over.

Just out of curiosity: why 'especially De Sola'? I like her in highly technical roles, but I've always found her rather stiff through the upper body and a little chilly despite the fixed smile. Also, why is she 'out'?

As to Helimets: has he ever been cast as Romeo here? I can't really see him in that role; he's a good actor but a bit stolid (well, let's call it dignified) - not my image of the impetuous and youthful Romeo. Of course, other dancers have surprised me (like Chung and her beautiful Giselle), so no reason why Helmets wouldn't be a good Romeo.

I do find in interesting that male soloists are sometimes cast in principal roles in full lengths (di Lanno this year, Hernandez as Franz if memory serves, Quenedit as Basilio, maybe others), but I don't remember any female soloists as O/O or Juliet, Kitri, etc. Have there been any in the past 10 or so years?

Re: De Sola - I've been seeing a fair amount of her dancing in the last year and she seems ready for this type of role, but Andre and Stahl are probably deserving too. Andre is a real work horse for the company. De Sola is injured, btw. She's been out for a number of weeks.

Tiit Helimets is a Romeo in the Nordic sense. ?

Seriously I'm not sure why he doesn't dance the role, but I presume the Principals can tell Helgi what they feel comfortable with (and he decides whether or not to override their preference). It seems pretty clear that Feijoo and Sylve are able to shape their participation level to make things more livable and presumably extend their careers.

I was at both the Saturday matinee and Tuesday night performances of Program 7. Jennifer Stahl danced in both The Four T's (one of the theme duos) and in Swimmer (red dress). So she appears to be fine. BTW, I missed seeing the fall (I was reaching for a tissue) but I definitely heard it and the collective audience gasp afterwards.

Also interesting to note that there are still four performances of R&J for which casting hasn't been posted. I hope that we will see another pair.

Here are the rest of the casts for the R&J run. Note Dores Andre (and Luke Ingham) debuting at the May 9 matinee. Can I call them or what (see post #7). No Frances Chung, though. Maybe debuting in Giselle was enough trauma for one season.

Friday, May 08, 2015 - 8pm

Juliet: Mathilde Froustey

Romeo: Carlo Di Lanno

Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 2pm

Juliet: Dores Andre*

Romeo: Luke Ingham*

Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 8pm

Juliet: Vanessa Zahorian

Romeo: Joan Boada

Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 2pm

Juliet: Sarah Van Patten

Romeo: Carlos Quenedit

It's worth noting that, after being sidelined for the 2014 season, Vanessa Zahorian has danced the entire 2015 season without any noticeable drop in ability or enthusiasm. Congratulations to Ms. Zahorian.

SF_Herminator: it's good to hear that Jennifer Stahl is suffering no lasting troubles. When she hit the floor, there ws a definite pause, as if she was stunned by the fall (both physically and mentally), but she pulled herself back up and finished in good form (as you probably saw). I thought for a moment that she might have hit her face on the floor - it was hard to know just how bad a misshap had occur - it all happened so fast. But sometimes, luckily, a fall is only a moment of embarassment, and nothing more.

Congratulations to Doris Andre in being cast as Juliet - and good call, PeggyR! I didn't think that SFB cast soloists as leads in full-length ballets. I hope that someone here will see her Juliet and report back.

In response to pherank's comment above, I saw Vanessa Zahorian in Chamber Ballet, and she danced with such lyricism and effortlessness such that I could not watch anyone else on stage. I have never seen her rushed, frantic, tense, or unmusical. I was happy to have her back and truly gracing the stage this season.

I guess we'll get our wish. From Mathilde Froustey's Facebook.

And from her Twitter page:

lapetitefrench_

Little casting problem : I'm doing Romeo today... I know Juliet's choreography better !!!!!

vitomazzeo

I know Juliet Coreography in case you need a partner!

lapetitefrench_

@vitomazzeo that's perfect I'm dancing the same day as you, you can do Juliet for the matinee and Romeo for the evening show ! Perfecto !!!!

Has anyone on the forum been able to see a R&J performance? I'm unable to travel at this time myself.

Maria Kochetkova has let slip that her performances with Davit Karapetyan are being filmed. Why those two, I'm not sure - Sarah Van Patten and Carlos Quenedit were the opening night leads. The reviews have been good for the most part - criticism has been mainly directed at the music, or sections of Tomasson's choreography, or the use of much mime acting.