This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Theater Nominations and Awards 2014-15 Season

The first major nominations for Broadway and off Broadway, the Outer Critics Circle Nominations, have been announced. It's a very good day for An American in Paris, which has 8 noms, including noms for Best New Musical, and individual nominations for Wheeldon (director AND choreographer), Cope and R. Fairchild.

Also, Megan Fairchild is nominated for best featured actress in a musicla for On the Town. Here is the press release:

Also a nom for Sara Mearns' boyfriend, Josh Bergasse, for ON THE TOWN choreography.

65th Annual Awards

Outer Critics Circle Announce

2014-15 Season Nominees

“Something Rotten!”
Heads the List with 12 Nominations!
Followed by
9 for “On the Twentieth Century,”
8 for “An American in Paris” & 7 for “Wolf Hall”

The First Broadway/Off-Broadway Award Nominees of the Season!

Outer Critics Circle, the organization of writers and commentators covering New York theater for out-of-town newspapers, national publications and other media beyond Broadway, announced today (April 20, 2015) its nominees for the 2014-15 season in 24 categories. Broadway stars Raúl Esparza and Katie Finneran presided over the (11AM) announcement ceremony at Manhattan’s Friars Club.

Celebrating its 65th season of bestowing awards of excellence in the field of theater, the Outer Critics Circle is an association with members affiliated with more than ninety newspapers, magazines, websites, radio and television stations, and theatre publications in America and abroad. The winners will be announced on Monday, May 11th. The annual Gala Awards Dinner and presentation of awards to the winners will be held on Thursday, May 21st (4PM) at the legendary Sardi's Restaurant.

Outer Critics Circle
2014-2015 Award Nominations

OUTSTANDING NEW BROADWAY PLAY
The Audience
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Wolf Hall

OUTSTANDING NEW BROADWAY MUSICAL
An American in Paris
It Shoulda Been You
The Last Ship
Something Rotten!
The Visit

OUTSTANDING NEW OFF-BROADWAY PLAY
Between Riverside and Crazy
The City of Conversation
The Nether
Rasheeda Speaking
The Village Bike

OUTSTANDING NEW OFF-BROADWAY MUSICAL
A Christmas Memory
Disenchanted
The Fortress of Solitude
Hamilton
Lonesome Traveler

OUTSTANDING BOOK OF A MUSICAL
(Broadway or Off-Broadway)
Hamilton
It Shoulda Been You
The Last Ship
Something Rotten!
The Visit

OUTSTANDING NEW SCORE
Hamilton
It Shoulda Been You
The Last Ship
Something Rotten!
The Visit

OUTSTANDING REVIVAL OF A PLAY
The Elephant Man
Fashions for Men
The Heidi Chronicles
Skylight
You Can’t Take It With You

OUTSTANDING REVIVAL OF A MUSICAL
Into the Woods
The King and I
On the Town
On the Twentieth Century
Side Show

OUTSTANDING DIRECTOR OF A PLAY
Stephen Daldry The Audience
Marianne Elliott The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Scott Ellis The Elephant Man
Scott Ellis You Can’t Take It With You
Jeremy Herrin Wolf Hall

OUTSTANDING DIRECTOR OF A MUSICAL
Scott Ellis On the Twentieth Century
Thomas Kail Hamilton
Casey Nicholaw Something Rotten!
David Hyde Pierce It Shoulda Been You
Christopher Wheeldon An American in Paris

OUTSTANDING CHOREOGRAPHER
Joshua Bergasse On the Town
Andy Blankenbuehler Hamilton
Warren Carlyle On the Twentieth Century
Casey Nicholaw Something Rotten!
Christopher Wheeldon An American in Paris

OUTSTANDING SET DESIGN
(Play or Musical)
Bunny Christie The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bob Crowley An American in Paris
Scott Pask Something Rotten!
David Rockwell On the Twentieth Century
Michael Yeargan The King and I

OUTSTANDING COSTUME DESIGN
(Play or Musical)
Gregg Barnes Something Rotten!
Bob Crowley The Audience
William Ivey Long On the Twentieth Century
Christopher Orem Wolf Hall
Catherine Zuber The King and I

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN
(Play or Musical)
Paule Constable The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Jeff Croiter Something Rotten!
Rick Fisher The Audience
Natasha Katz An American in Paris
Japhy Weideman The Visit

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A PLAY
Reed Birney I’m Gonna Pray For You So Hard
Bradley Cooper The Elephant Man
Stephen McKinley Henderson Between Riverside and Crazy
Ben Miles Wolf Hall
Alex Sharp The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A PLAY
Greta Gerwig The Village Bike
Jan Maxwell The City of Conversation
Helen Mirren The Audience
Elisabeth Moss The Heidi Chronicles
Tonya Pinkins Rasheeda Speaking

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
Christian Borle Something Rotten!
Brian d’Arcy James Something Rotten!
Robert Fairchild An American in Paris
Peter Gallagher On the Twentieth Century
Tony Yazbeck On the Town

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Kristin Chenoweth On the Twentieth Century
Leanne Cope An American in Paris
Tyne Daly It Shoulda Been You
Kelli O’Hara The King and I
Chita Rivera The Visit

OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTOR IN A PLAY
Paul Jesson Wolf Hall
Richard McCabe The Audience
Alessandro Nivola The Elephant Man
Nathaniel Parker Wolf Hall
Bryce Pinkham The Heidi Chronicles

OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTRESS IN A PLAY
Annaleigh Ashford You Can’t Take It With You
Patricia Clarkson The Elephant Man
Francesca Faridany The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Julie Halston You Can’t Take It With You
Lydia Leonard Wolf Hall

OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTOR IN A MUSICAL
John Cariani Something Rotten!
Josh Grisetti It Shoulda Been You
Andy Karl On the Twentieth Century
Paul Alexander Nolan Doctor Zhivago
Max von Essen An American in Paris

OUTSTANDING FEATURED ACTRESS IN A MUSICAL
Heidi Blickenstaff Something Rotten!
Victoria Clark Gigi
Megan Fairchild On the Town
Ruthie Ann Miles The King and I
Mary Louise Wilson On the Twentieth Century

OUTSTANDING SOLO PERFORMANCE
Joe Assadourian The Bullpen
Jim Dale Just Jim Dale
Tom Dugan Wiesenthal
Cush Jumbo Josephine and I
Benjamin Scheuer The Lion

JOHN GASSNER AWARD
(Presented for an American play, preferably by a new playwright)
Ayad Akhtar The Invisible Hand
Halley Feiffer I’m Gonna Pray For You So Hard
Elizabeth Irwin My Mañana Comes
Markus Potter Stalking the Bogeyman
Benjamin Scheuer The Lion

Nominations Talley for 3 or more:

Something Rotten! 12; On the Twentieth Century 9; An American in Paris 8; Wolf Hall 7; It Shoulda Been You
6; The Audience 6; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time 6; Hamilton 5; The Elephant Man 5; The King and I 5; The Visit 5; On The Town 4; You Can’t Take It With You 4; The Heidi Chronicles 3; The Last Ship 3

***Please note: Disgraced, Fun Home and Hand to God received nominations and or awards from Outer Critics Circle in previous seasons and therefore were not considered for this year.

2014-15 Outer Critics Circle Executive / Nominating Committee
Simon Saltzman (President)
Mario Fratti (Vice-President) Patrick Hoffman (Corresponding Secretary)
Stanley L. Cohen (Treasurer) Glenn Loney (Historian & Member-at-Large)
And Aubrey Reuben & Harry Haun (Members-at-Large)

Here are the nominations for the Drama Desk Awards, second in prestige only to the Tonys. American in Paris has a total of 12 nominations, including Best Musical, Best Director (Wheeldon), Best Choreography (Wheeldon), and best lead actor and actress in a musical (R. Fairchild and L. Cope). Only one show (Hamilton) had more noms. (Hamilton is moving from off Broadway to Broadway in July. Brilliant show.)

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/drama-desk-nominations-announced-hamilton-tops-the-list-347557

Great day for American in Paris.

Here are the nominations for the Drama Desk Awards, second in prestige only to the Tonys. American in Paris has a total of 12 nominations, including Best Musical, Best Director (Wheeldon), Best Choreography (Wheeldon), and best lead actor and actress in a musical (R. Fairchild and L. Cope). Only one show (Hamilton) had more noms. (Hamilton is moving from off Broadway to Broadway in July. Brilliant show.)

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/drama-desk-nominations-announced-hamilton-tops-the-list-347557

Great day for American in Paris.

Yes, great for AIP. However, judging from reviews of recently opened shows (and the several I've been able to see so far), there really isn't much competition out there. None come up to "Hamilton". Superb!

For best musical, I think it will be a race between Fun Home and AIP. Fun Home is certainly a critical hit, but the subject matter is dark and disturbing. AIP is more of the type of pure entertainment that most Broadway audiences are looking for, which explains why AIP is selling well in a large theater and Fun Home is struggling to fill seats in a relatively small theater.

On a separate note, if On The Town fails to win Best Revival, I don't see how they can keep pumping money into it for a run beyond August or Sept.

Yes, Hamilton was absolutely superb in every way. Lin Manuel Miranda deserves every accolade for Hamilton, which will probably sweep the Tonys next season (unless some new genius musical pops up ).

Here is an article written by Alastair Macauley for the special Tony Awards section of the NY Times that will be printed this Sunday. The focus is on the performances of R. Fairchild in AiP and Tony Yazbeck in On The Town. Definitely worth a read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/theater/theaterspecial/robert-fairchild-and-tony-yazbeck-have-it-all-on-broadway-stages.html?src=recg

Added

As part of their Special Tony Award edition, the NY Times theater critics each pick who they believe will win the awards, who should win, and who should have been nominated. Both NY Times critics predict that AiP will win Best Musical, and that Wheeldon will win for Best Director of a Musical.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/theater/theaterspecial/the-tony-award-nominations-should-be.html?ref=theater(Brantley)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/theater/theaterspecial/the-tony-nominations-should-be.html?ref=theater

(Isherwood)

The Astaire Awards were held last night. Robbie Fairchild tied with Tony Yazbeck (On the Town), and Christopher Wheeldon tied with Josh Bergasse (On the Town).

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/06/02/harvey-weinstein-gets-the-astaire-award-we-need-new-voices-on-broadway-we-need-guys-like-me-on-broadway

Thanks for all of these updates. I like Alan Cumming but I wish Neil Patrick Harris was hosting again. His talent and charm will be missed.

I think Neil Patrick Harris has had enough of hosting for the time being. He has said in interviews that the preparations for the Oscars hosting gig earlier this year were very stressful. Also the ratings for the Oscar telecast were dismal this year, and he caught part of the blame for it.

I'm shocked that Fun Home won the Tony for best musical, even though I thought it was a much better and deeper show than AiP. Turned out to be a not so wonderful night for AiP. Did Michael Cerveris refer to R Fairchild as "Robbie Fitzgerald"

I'm shocked that Fun Home won the Tony for best musical, even though I thought it was a much better and deeper show than AiP. Turned out to be a not so wonderful night for AiP. Did Michael Cerveris refer to R Fairchild as "Robbie Fitzgerald"

So happy about "Fun Home" winning for Best Musical. For the first time in a long while I felt like most of the awards went to all the right people and the right shows. The miraculous Alex Sharp in "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time", Michael Cerveris for "Fun Home", the wondrous Helen Mirren in "The Audience", and of course (finally) for Kelli O'Hara in "King And I". The Tony voters got it right this year. I would have been happier if "On The Town" had won for choreography, as I felt it better represented what "theater dance" is about. "AIP" was more like something one might see on a ballet stage. Lighting and scenery were well deserved, but the show as a whole was a disappointment. It's selling very well, so I suppose it all doesn't matter. Still, "Fun Home" was the better, braver show.

Christopher Wheeldon definitely deserves his Tony for choreography. Everything about the musical was well choreographed. Loved On the Town and agree that it represents theater dance but Wheeldon's work was amazing. I think Robert Fairchild should have won best actor in a musical hands down. So much talent, from singing to dancing to acting! A true triple threat. Loved King and I and so happy for Kelli O'Hara.

Christopher Wheeldon definitely deserves his Tony for choreography. Everything about the musical was well choreographed. Loved On the Town and agree that it represents theater dance but Wheeldon's work was amazing. I think Robert Fairchild should have won best actor in a musical hands down. So much talent, from singing to dancing to acting! A true triple threat. Loved King and I and so happy for Kelli O'Hara.

Well, Cerveris may not dance so much, but he is a wonderfully diverse and gifted actor and singer. His range and depth as a performer stands above so many. There's a reason so many writers, directors and producers want him for their shows. Fairchild can surely dance, his singing is passable, but( in this case) his role was not helped by the slim writing of his character by Craig Lucas. I wonder if there are many roles on Broadway he could be right for in the future. And not many shows are so much about dance as "AIP". I would hope he would return to NYCB and dance for awhile there. A dancer's life can be relatively very short and to not see him on the State Theater stage would be a true loss. There can always be Broadway, perhaps in the future for him.

I'm kind of glad American in Paris got shut out. And I say this as a huge fan of Robbie Fairchild. I didn't feel like the choreography was even anywhere near Wheeldon's best. I thought Fairchild and Cope were great dancers but the show didn't give them a chance to act. I didn't feel like the show utilized the singing talents of Jill Paice, Max von Essen, and Brandon Uranowitz either. The arrangements for the Gershwin songs were really a travesty.

But most of all, I felt that book by Craig Lucas should have been enough to disqualify it from Best Musical category. If you want to go light, at least make the book fun. Instead, the book was a mishmash of gay jokes (for Henri) turned into some semi-Schindler's List stuff in Act Two that I can only call Tony-baiting. It was very insipid.

I felt like On the Town was really robbed. I saw the revival of The King and I and while Kelli was good Ken Watanabe wasn't and the revival wasn't all that inspired.

Did Michael Cerveris refer to R Fairchild as "Robbie Fitzgerald"

Yup, he sure did. I'm sure he realized it later, or someone told him, and he'll apologize to Fairchild, who now joins Idina Menzel in the My Name Got Screwed Up On an Awards Show Club.