This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Promotions 2015

I kind of expected Kimin to be promoted soon since Mariinsky's been promoting him in the tours lately.

I am however surprised that Askerov has been promoted ahead of Sergeyev and Zverev. They both are better partners and actors than Askerov. What about Yermakov? He's charismatic and capable of partnering with the very tall principals in Mariinsky.

Sorry to sound bitter but I really wanted Sergeyev to be promoted this time. Congrats to both dancers though.

I'm thrilled Kim got promoted. Just in time for YAGP and his ABT appearances.

I'm not a fan of Askerov but his promotion was seeming inevitable, given how many principal roles he's danced.

I love Sergeyev, too, but he should have been promoted years ago. For some reason, I think Fateyev seems to have consigned him (along with Novikova and Osmolkina) to the soloist wasteland.

I am truly disappointed about Yermakov. What does he have to do to get promoted? He has been dancing principal roles (and doing them well) for several years. He partners (and partners well) the tall, primas like Lopatkina and Kondaurova. He danced 3 ballets in the young choreographers night. Next year better see a promotion for him.

Fateyev has again shown his disregard and apparent dislike for Vaganova grads. Well at least Skorik didn't get promoted.

Novikova's status (never getting Principal) is to me a great scandal. Her Giselle, Masha, Sylph, Raymonda, Aurora, one Swan Lake ever, and Kitri are delicate, exquisite, artistic achievements of the rarest kind unlike anything you see in a lifetime. She is the lead in two commercial dvds (Don Quixote and La Scala's Raymonda), so she has name recognition too. I think in any other company she would be a Principal.

I suspect there are limited funds to pay the top amount for Principals, so these two men being promoted probably means no one else will get Principal status in a while.

Wasn't Kim being sponsored by one specific Japanese millionaire? The name of the gentleman was cited on Kim's online bio for a long time although it's not there now. Not that he doesn't deserve the promo on his dancing abilities but the sponsorship *may* also have something to do with it. Perhaps Askerov, too? Maybe Sergeev and Zverev need to find sponsors?

Novikova's status (never getting Principal) is to me a great scandal. Her Giselle, Masha, Sylph, Raymonda, Aurora, one Swan Lake ever, and Kitri are delicate, exquisite, artistic achievements of the rarest kind unlike anything you see in a lifetime. She is the lead in two commercial dvds (Don Quixote and La Scala's Raymonda), so she has name recognition too. I think in any other company she would be a Principal.

I suspect there are limited funds to pay the top amount for Principals, so these two men being promoted probably means no one else will get Principal status in a while.

A Novikova, Osmolkina, Sergeev and Ermakov set of promotions to Principal Dancer would make perfect sense. The fact that they've been overlooked again is nonsense.

A Novikova, Osmolkina, Sergeev and Ermakov set of promotions to Principal Dancer would make perfect sense. The fact that they've been overlooked again is nonsense.

I wonder if there are any other First Soloists around who star in leading roles in two commercially released dvds like Novikova's case. It seems like most leading roles in dvds would go to Principals.

Kondaurova was still First Soloist when Firebird was released. She may have still been First Soloist when the cinemas 3D Swan Lake was filmed, although she had been promoted by the time that it aired.

Irina Golub was (and remains) a First Soloist, despite starring in the Chemyakin Nutcracker DVD, as well as lead in Rubies in the Jewels DVD.

Not trying to argue, but I personally think there is a big difference between starring as Kitri and as Raymonda in dvds (yet remaining First Soloist) and starring in a mixed bill dvd as Firebird or the "artsy/crazy" Nutcracker (which doesn't seem to be danced by any Principals that I have noticed....maybe I missed noticing) or Rubies. Kondaurova was Principal when the Swan Lake was piped live into theaters. She was made Principal in 2012 and then the live Swan Lake was aired live in movie theaters in June 2013.

I guess what I am trying to convey, which you probably agree with, is that it is strange to have a high profile dancer with two major title roles preserved on commercial dvds and more than likely she will never become a Principal......but, I guess, you never know........I think if this were the case in any other company she would be promoted.

In my opinion, Novikova is a great Romantic and classical ballerina. She can do almost anything. I have seen her as the Sylph in La Sylphide, in Giselle, in Raymonda, in Sleeping Beauty, in Swan Lake (her only one), as Masha in Nutcracker, and as Kitri. To me she has the best artistry of almost any Mariinsky ballerina. Her arms are out of this world.

So I think she goes beyond the soubrette type. But that is my opinion.

I agree with many of the other dancers mentioned above who deserve Principal status.

I actually like Kolegova due to her physical beauty better, but I see objectively that Novikova has better artistry.

Novikova's emploi seems to be not favored by the Mariinsky and thus she's stuck in the soloist ranks. The last soubrette/ingenue type to get promoted to principal was Diana Vishneva and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Novikova can do any role. The fact that she is not a principal is really a disgrace. I have seen her Mariinsky performances in so many roles and think she is far from being a soubrette. (I also saw her in the Duato Romeo and Juliet at Mikhailovsky, where she was one of the best Juliets I have seen.) She was a touching and finely nuanced Maria in Fountain of Bakhchisarai, a witty Rubies, literally the best Giselle interpretation I ever saw, also an exquisite Sylph in La Sylphide, in my opinion the BEST Aurora at Mariinsky today with that wonderful crystalline technique. I will not enumerate all the roles I have seen her dance in that she excels in - but hers is not the repertoire of a mere soubrette ...

I'm not saying she's purely a soubrette, just that TPTB at the Mariinsky seem to have pegged her in the soubrette roles: Giselle, Kitri, Juliet, Kitri. She's not dancing O/O (except that once). And in MT management the prejudice against dancers who aren't natural O/O's seems very strong.

I'm not saying she's purely a soubrette, just that TPTB at the Mariinsky seem to have pegged her in the soubrette roles: Giselle, Kitri, Juliet, Kitri. She's not dancing O/O (except that once). And in MT management the prejudice against dancers who aren't natural O/O's seems very strong.

True. Fateyev does seem to have one particular type for O/O in mind.