This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Jeffrey Babcock leaves Boston Ballet

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_unsoccer-mom_*

Guest_unsoccer-mom_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 June 2001 - 09:37 AM

The school in question is one of the suburban satelite schools. It has a very strong dedicated student population of both young and adult dancers. It is badly in need of renovation/expansion. It is my understanding that the school has the largest student population of the three schools and that they currently have a waiting list. The administration undertook an ambitious plan to renovate and move into an adjacent space. When the funding fell through there was some very serious talk about the school closing at the end of the summer because they were contractually unable to stay in the current space. They were never going to close because lack of interest and lack of students. The talk among the parents was that the funding was pulled by a major source following the Gielgud resignation. A new source for the funding was found and the renovation is proceeding.

#17 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 June 2001 - 03:51 PM

Interesting posts about the AD/CEO issue. From my experience in regional theater, opera and ballet, the companies whose AD/CEO work in very distinctly separate areas of the company do the best. SF Ballet and SF opera both work in the AD handles artistic issues, CEO handles business issues mode and both companies are running very successfully right now. There are of course places where both leaders are needed ie board meetings and fundraisers, but as long as they don't try to do more than their backgroungs allow, there aren't problems.

#18 felursus

felursus

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 June 2001 - 11:23 PM

I think it was clear from the statements he made to the press that Babcock did NOT respect the goals/priorities that Anna-Marie Holmes, the recently departed BB AD, had set. He made it clear that HE was the boss and that he was going to set things up the way he wanted. Interesting that things seem to have collapsed on him with the sudden departure of Gielgud, (I would have LOVED to have been a fly on the wall during their meetings), and the non-rehiring of some of the best dancers in the BB, (one wonders who really wanted them gone - it may have been Gielgud who didn't want to retain them, but it certainly was Babcock who was delighted to see them gone - otherwise at least some of them would have been retained as was the case of the "on the fence" people). One is almost afraid to look at a Boston newspaper in case a new disaster breaks out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):