This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Miami City Ballet to Tour US

This is great news: Miami City Ballet presented a fantastic mixed bill in Vancouver -- "Ballo," a sublime "Symphony in Three Movements," and "Serenade" -- and NYC and Chicago will be lucky to see them. The PNB re-design was based in Pacific Northwest fauna and flora, and I can't wait to see the MCB designs.

Is there any word as to their Dancing Festival repertory?

If I were Lourdes Lopez, I'd pick something loud for the second item, in the Pritzker Pavilion - it's open-air in downtown Chicago, not far from heavily-trafficked Lake Shore Drive, and whatever sound-track normally accompanies the dancing is apt to be punctuated on a summer evening by car horns and motorcycle exhausts and the occasional siren, if not thunder as well!

I'm not following MCB so closely anymore, so I'm wondering only half-facetiously whether she's got something in repertory by now where these ambient "contributions" will blend right in.

(Just checking the MCB web site, I found no mention of tours. Odd.)

Actually, they were just in Vancouver and then Ottawa in February and March, though those stops do mark the company's first international tours since 2011, and this northern (former) fan remembers that in years past it was pretty easy to check whether and where they would be on tour, so he could mark his calendar and plan ahead as much as those in their tour cities, especially if they were coming someplace nearby. You may be right, they may want to make a "splash" announcement or something, but maybe it's just a consequence of other recent management changes that this aspect of their publicity, convenient to us in their national audience, has been overlooked.

On the other hand, the Harris Theater here in Chicago has already announced their dates and repertory for April, 2016. (Scroll down the linked page. Scroll way down!) So some decisions have been made.

The Chicago programs look fantastic. I hope we get those in NYC too.

I see Hamburg Ballet is also performing in Chicago. Just checked the Hamburg website, and Chicago is the only tour venue in the US for next season. Darn.

Yeah, Morris's Dido, too, and in the same month. The Harris is a real asset. And luckily, no conflict has emerged at the Auditorium Theater so far; it tears me when compelling shows go on back-to-back across town, as though this were New York or someplace, after what (to my taste anyway) has been a drought the rest of the year.

The Chicago programs look fantastic. I hope we get those in NYC too.

On the other hand, didn't their Vancouver and Ottawa tours show different repertory, or mostly different, in different cities? Nothing wrong with hoping, though, unless it sets you up for disappointment.