This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Boston Ballet's Sleeping Beauty

[This was originally posted by bijoux. I've copied the post from another thread.]

I wanted to know if anyone had seen Bosotn Ballets' production of "Sleeping Beauty" and what they thought of the production.I saw it and thought it was great.I was the full length (a prologue and three acts),but there was so much going on that you didn't realise how long it was.I saw it a few times because there were multiple casts dancing everything and I wanted to see dancers who people don't usually get to see.Of course the principals were outstanding.Each set had a different interpretation of their roles that were equally appealing.I must say that I was most impressed by the dancers in the corps de ballet who got to "strut their stuff" in soloist and even principal roles.The women in the corps are all very talented and versitile.There are a few who have gotten their chances and have prooven to be consistent,so I expected a good show,but there were a couple who we rarely see who held their own quite well.In the prologue fairies,Melissa Ward,Sasha Dmochowski and Erika Lambe prooved quite capable in their respective variations.It is funny that one of these women lost her job and the other two almost did.They are fine dancers...On a level up,corps de ballet women Karla Kovatch and Tatianna Jouravel danced the role of the lilac fairy with confidence and ease.this is a principal role that even soloists have struggled with.Sarah Lamb prooved consistent in the Blubird pas de deux even when thrown together with a new partner at the last minute.( corps de ballet member Nick Mishoe who did a fantastic job)

In all I just wanted to say that there was fine dancing on the part of the dancers of Boston Ballet and they deserve recognition for presenting such great shows amidst the turmoil they are going through.I believe their season is over now and I wish those who will not return all the best wherever they go and for those who return good luck with the new season.--bijoux

[ 05-22-2001: Message edited by: alexandra ]

I have read that the Boston Ballet's Sleeping Beauty used the 1977 Royal Ballet production, which was a very good one, as I recall. Lots of space for dancing and an airy feel. I think some people felt it was a bit bland, but it certainly put the dancing and the choreogrpahy front and center. I remember seeing Karla Kovatch a couple of years ago in Boston's Le Corsaire (she had a brief solo as the Pasha's favorite), and liked her very much in that snaky elegant bit. I was so glad to read that she got to dance the Lilac Fairy.

Boston Ballet's Sleeping Beauty is the old Royal Ballet set which has been refurbished and is one of the most lovely visually of all their productions. The dancers at BBC are of a high calibre techniquely. Of all the dancers let go most of them have gotten jobs and in good companies. All of them will be missed. They are also losing some wonderful soloists and corps who are leaving on their decision. Christina Salerno and Lyn Tally are for me a huge loss. Of course the non-rehire of Alexandra Koltun and Alexi Lapshin will be felt by the public. Beautiful dancers-it is a sad moment.

I know that this is a bit late, but I was able to see a performance of Beauty, and it was wonderful! It really showed the depth of talent within the company. And I think that the dancers should be very proud, because obviously there was a lot of emotional turmoil. Bravo!! And I can't help but wonder if anyone else was as amazed as I was with Mikhail Ilyin performing Blue Bird; it was truly breathtaking. How sad that he will not be around next year-- he would have made a fabulous Puck in "A Midsummer Night's Dream". Oh well, just another decision that makes no sense...

Hi,just answering your question.Yes,Mikhail Ilian was incredible!!!He is so clean and yet exciting to watch.His brisse' volles'(spelling?)were like butter,so smoothe..I 've heard that he is going to Miami City Ballet.He should do well there because he seems to have that excitement about his dancing that Edward Villela likes in his men.It is too bad for Boston Ballet though.Another talented dancer they've let go....Well,more power to Miami.

Originally posted by katushinka:

I know that this is a bit late, but I was able to see a performance of Beauty, and it was wonderful!  It really showed the depth of talent within the company.  And I think that the dancers should be very proud, because obviously there was a lot of emotional turmoil.  Bravo!! And I can't help but wonder if anyone else was as amazed as I was with Mikhail Ilyin performing Blue Bird; it was truly breathtaking.  How sad that he will not be around next year-- he would have made a fabulous Puck in "A Midsummer Night's Dream".  Oh well, just another decision that makes no sense...