23 replies to this topic

#16 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 01:26 AM

Dale, I checked the review I wrote of her retirement performance and I think Hlinka did Scotch with Soto rather than Boal (for what it's worth!)

#17 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 02:30 AM

OK. I went to a dress rehearsal for her final performance in one of those guild things. She was running through the Tchiakovsky with Damian and joked with him that he should dance Scotch with her. He said he had rehearsed it a long time ago but never performed it and wouldn't want to screw up her retirement smile.gif

#18 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 01:04 PM

Suzanne's memoir is no help in elucidating NYCB policy on farewell galas. She says "It was decided that my farewell would be on November 26, 1989. I was to perform two ballets, Vienna Waltzes and Sophisticated Lady." I guess it depends on what the meaning of "It" is.

Incidentally, "Sophisticated Lady" had been choreographed by Martins for the American Music Festival in the Spring, 1988 season. I saw it then as well as at the farewell. It was a sweet piece to Duke Ellington music in an arrangement by Andre Kostelanetz, if you can imagine such an odd coupling. Peter came out of his dancing retirement to perform it with Suzanne. There was a corps of sixteen men in black tie, including the choreographer's son. The Ellington songs in addition to the title one were "Solitude," and "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," the latter of which brought down the house, but was perversely omitted from a subsequent PBS show.

White thornless roses rained down on Suzanne after the curtain came down on Vienna Waltzes. Pink roses descended on Patty McBride after her farewell. To the best of my recollection, no comparable flower shower had occurred between then and the carnations of Tracey's farewell.

#19 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 01:18 PM

(I feel like the worst sort of editorial fuddy-duddy, my apologies!) There were a shower of yellow and red roses for Nichol Hlinka's farewell in '98 (reading from my own article on it - http://members.aol.c...chel/980614.htm )

#20 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 01:37 PM

Did Heather Watts have a "farewell performance" and Stephanie Saland?

#21 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 01:40 PM

As far as I know, yes. Watts did Bugaku (and may have done another ballet, I am not sure); and I was talking with someone last night who said Saland's farewell was in the Rosenkavalier section of Vienna Waltzes.

#22 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the gentle correction on Hlinka's flower shower, Leigh. I was there, too -- the neurons are fading, no doubt about it.

Not to belabor this subject, but perhaps the grandest farewell any NYCB ballerina ever had was Melissa Hayden's. It lasted for most of her final season, Spring of 1973. Balanchine did a ballet for her, "Cortege Hongrois," which she performed several times. The surprising thing is that it remains in the repertory to this day, even though it was thought of at the time as a piece d'occasion. Balanchine brought out the flowers himself -- I know because there are photographs.

On the other hand, there are NYCB ballerinas who never had a gala or so much as a "See ya around." Maria Calegari, anyone?

#23 felursus

felursus

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 February 2002 - 11:39 PM

In case anyone was wondering - Ringer was back onstage last night (Tues.) in "Serenade."

#24 AmandaNYC

AmandaNYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 12:22 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Leigh Witchel:
and I was talking with someone last night who said Saland's farewell was in the Rosenkavalier section of Vienna Waltzes.

Salands' farewell was, indeed, in that piece. And, it was during the marathon final night of the Balanchine Celebration, so you can see it on video.

-amanda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):