This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Super Bowl Bet

There was a friendly bet between PNB and Boston surrounding the Super Bowl. PNB made good on it after the Pats won. Boston got to pick the song:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152800772073952

I don't think Boston has had time for a planned response, but they did their usual after-class fooling around and answered with this:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152800772073952

As a rule the mayors of the respective cities of the two Super Bowl teams make a bet, so it's nice to see the ballet companies getting in on the act. There was a hitch this year - Boston's Mayor Walsh, a two-time loser, would not bet with Seattle's Ed Murray. He said he didn't want to jinx the Patriots, but maybe he just didn't have confidence in his team. O ye of little faith! Providence's Jorge Elorza stepped into the breach, and will reportedly be rewarded with Northwest alder-smoked salmon from Pure Food Fish Market, coffees from the original Starbucks at Pike Place Market and a giant bag of Marshawn Lynch’s favorite snack, Skittles.

I like seeing that some ballet dancers actually know and/or care about something so plebeian as football.

Plebeian? Not really. The NFL's current popularity is unprecedented in American sports but until fairly late in the 20th century American football was college football, at a time when relatively few people went to college - it was very much the game of the American elite.

Most of the articles I read favored the Patriots, and it's often difficult to play the next game after a fairly miraculous win the game before. For example, after "Miracle on Ice" when the US hockey team beat the Soviet Team in the penultimate game of the 1980 Olympic play-offs , the US team was down a goal going into the third period final against Finland.

As Peter Boal mentioned in the video, he and the AD of Colorado Ballet had a bet last season, and PNB is still waiting for the pizza. He also mentioned in one of the Don Quixote Q&A's opening weekend that Boston Ballet still hadn't picked its song for the bet, and maybe Nissinen was following Walsh's lead.

Tapfan - Don't know about the Seattle dancers, but the majority of the Boston dancers are Boston team fans!

But how can that be? They are Apollo's Angels! And football is such an "earthly" pursuit. Makes one believe that humans can truly be varied in their tastes and interests. Who'd have thunk it?

Maybe Itzhak Perlman was being honest when he said he likes doo-wop music. ;)

As to college football's elite roots, well, not in my lifetime. The quaint, rah-rah-sis-boom-bah and leather helmets of the old Harvard vs. Yale days is ancient history, as are the uniformly white teams.

I live next to Texas and there's nothing that unites the classes, races and political factions like football. In fact, the ubiquity of football in Southern culture actually papers over differences that continue to plague us.

Most of the articles I read favored the Patriots, and it's often difficult to play the next game after a fairly miraculous win the game before.

The spread favored the Seahawks for quite some time, although as game day approached it was more or less a pick 'em. Closely matched teams in a year where no one team really dominated.

And football is such an "earthly" pursuit. Makes one believe that humans can truly be varied in their tastes and interests. Who'd have thunk it?

Football players can display a dancer's grace, and some studies have shown that ballet is as punishing on the body as football, if not more so. Apollo's Angels put forth a lot of earthly effort.

That video by PNB was awesome.

I love football.

I think ballet and football have a lot in common. My students/residents often ask me why I'm so passionate about two things that seem worlds apart, and I like to show them this picture:

weqvaxgwdj8k0l2rdqkl.jpg

Which has a lot in common with this picture:

swanlake2.jpg

Elizabeth Murphy, who's from Massachusetts, was put on the spot during the Don Q Q&A two Saturdays ago about her, uh, loyalties. (The night before Bold was wearing a Seahawks shirt.) There are a couple of other dancers from Massachusetts who weren't in the hot seat last weekend.

This isn't ballet, but I'm sharing anyway. There's a family a few blocks away from my friend's house in Seattle that does big arrangement of rubber ducks on their front lawn for holidays and other occasions. This was their Super Bowl display:

post-3390-0-65875100-1423527741_thumb.jp

That shot of the pained Richard Sherman was a priceless dig and I say that as someone who can't stand the Pats. That's cold Boston Ballet. Ice cold.

But honestly, ballet companies have so many foreign-born members. it surprises me that they have as many American football fans as they do.

Elizabeth Murphy, who's from Massachusetts, was put on the spot during the Don Q Q&A two Saturdays ago about her, uh, loyalties. (The night before Bold was wearing a Seahawks shirt.) There are a couple of other dancers from Massachusetts who weren't in the hot seat last weekend.

This isn't ballet, but I'm sharing anyway. There's a family a few blocks away from my friend's house in Seattle that does big arrangement of rubber ducks on their front lawn for holidays and other occasions. This was their Super Bowl display:

attachicon.gifSuper Bowl Ducks.jpg

I like the cacti -- and very appropriate here with PNB's recent production of Don Quixote (complete with cacti in act 2!)