This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Don Quixote 2015

I don't remember a gypsy king character. There's the head of the theater group, who dances the Devil, if I remember correctly. The two main dancing roles for men are Basilio and the toreador, Espada.

There is a king (to go with the queen) but it's not a big part as I recall...

The King, Queen, Princess, Harlequin, and Devil are characters in the play they put on, and it's a lovely part of the act, but none of them are listed as principal roles, which are Kitri/Basilio, Mercedes/Espada, Kitri's two friends, Cupid, Queen of the Dryads, and the characters roles: Don Quixote, Sancho Panza, Gamache, and Kitri's father.

There are splendid smaller roles for five dancers in the first scene of Act II where Kitri and Basilio run away and encounter a theater troupe that hides them. I think this is where Nureyev has his gypsy king and band of gypsies? However, none of those roles is as prominent or recurring as Hilarion, Alain, Bibanto, or another prominent dancing villain/foil. Here, the two foils are major mime roles, not dancing roles.

I hadn't seen that one -- thanks for the link!

I do appreciate the productions of the program-length works that include that kind of role, which is such an essential stepping stone in a career pathway. I haven't had the time to post anything in the thread about Orlando Ballet's streamlined Swan Lake, but one of the arguments in favor of the long form of a work is these small showcase roles.

What a weekend! Spectacular performances all around. Dec made her debut last night as Kitri, and she was born for the role. Cruz was flying.

Cruz, Foster, and Orza are back. As in back back. The Mercedes and Espadas all sizzled. The first Act is a wonder, just a miracle.

Korbes and Bold are Kitri and Basilio next Saturday at 1pm, a non-subscription performance for the best chance to get great subscriber seats. Dec and Cruz close the run on Sunday night at 7pm. Lucky school kids get to see Murphy and Orza this week. Rausch and Tisserand debut Thursday and repeat Saturday night. Imler and Lin-Yee (his debut) dance Friday night and Sunday at 1pm.

Through 11:59PM PST tonight (Feb 1), it's a no fee weekend:

https://www.pnb.org/promo/nofeequixote?utm_source=Pacific+Northwest+Ballet&utm_campaign=59a5eeafbb-15-donQ-no-fees-opening-weekend-resend&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4f2d9028e9-59a5eeafbb-291617869

Or, by phone (206 441-2424) with code "No Fee Quixote."